PDA

View Full Version : Power Source and ground?

Chrisbgft
07-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Okay, i am running a dvd player in my trunk to my headunit and screen. It needs a power source and ground to tap into. What is a good place near the hatch?

paralysis
07-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Power in the trunk?...... I could check the back dome light and when you have the head liner down you can pull the wire for the half close sun roof...
I would not think the dome light will have enough power for the DVD palyer so I would run a wire from the battery. But it would not hurt to check.

Chrisbgft
07-10-2003, 01:13 PM
I heard running direct power source from the battery isnt a good thing to do. Is there anything where i could tap into, possibly ignition or anything?

PhatBox
07-11-2003, 11:51 PM
A direct connection to the battery isn't safe because of the possibility of a short causing electrical problems or fire. If you put an inline fuse close to the battery connection would adequately prevent any shorting problems (which is the way amps are powered).

I don't think you will be able to draw enough current for the dvd player from any of the stock wiring (small gauge), which would mean that your only choice is to get power from the battery.

andy
07-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by PhatBox
I don't think you will be able to draw enough current for the dvd player from any of the stock wiring (small gauge), which would mean that your only choice is to get power from the battery.

I have a dvd player (cheapo apex) sitting under the passenger
seat, plugged into a power inverter. The inverter is plugged into
a 3-way splitter :o that is plugged into the cigarette lighter/ac
adapter. It all powers fine, haven't blown any fuses yet. :D

That said, I'm going to hard wire the inverter to the battery
sometime soon.

IceD out N CALI
07-12-2003, 01:21 PM
just run a wire (from battery w/fuse, like 8gauge or up) to hook up the dvd. back in hatch area there are a few areas you could use the existing screws as a ground. Thats what i use for my amp and it grounds fine:)

oogy-boogy
07-16-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by PhatBox
A direct connection to the battery isn't safe because of the possibility of a short causing electrical problems or fire. If you put an inline fuse close to the battery connection would adequately prevent any shorting problems (which is the way amps are powered).

;)
Exactly....Just make sure (as stated by phatbox) that you put in an inline fuse as you don't want to destroy your investment. You could also find either a switched or constant power source (depending on if you want it to run all of the time or just when the ignition is on) and use an "Add a fuse" piggyback system from the fuse box and just run a small 10-12 gauge wire to the hatch.