PDA

View Full Version : Throttle STOP ??!!

EV1LEP3
07-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Has anyone found the throttle stop plate underneath the throttle and carpet !? Found it today pullin the carpet back for the power wire. Anyone? Was thinkin bout removin it, but you know....could be a good reason y its there. Like Japan doesnt want us to be faster !!!! hehehehe......lemme know what you think......

shimmy_yaz
07-09-2003, 06:50 PM
give it a try and let us know, someone has to be the guiena pig

NemesisITR
07-10-2003, 09:13 PM
I took mine out today when I took out the rest of my carpet. The gas pedal goes further forward now and the car seems to pick up faster.:D

Brettnyt
07-10-2003, 10:39 PM
no way! Lemme know about this, sounds like an okay mod! I might hafta check it out for myself.... any one else vouch for this?

spoon3168
07-11-2003, 06:30 AM
bcareful about ur throttle cable..ur going to rip that off, ask someone to look for u under the hood while u stepping

02SilverSiHB
07-11-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by spoon3168
bcareful about ur throttle cable..ur going to rip that off, ask someone to look for u under the hood while u stepping
ditto

siver-SI
07-11-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by spoon3168

I would agree. I would also look the the TB because I could see that at a problem of the thruttle getting stuck in the TB and that is why the put it there. Does the Type R have this I wonder. If it does I would say do not remove.

G-J
07-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Anyone with an update on this? Since it sounds like its already been done, I'll wait to hear the synopsis before I do it then. But to be honest I am getting antsy :D

xeb2006x
07-12-2003, 08:09 PM
hmmm sounds a little suspicious

RMC22
07-12-2003, 11:38 PM
Would somebody with some money just grow some balls and try it.

Brettnyt
07-12-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by RMC22
Would somebody with some money just grow some balls and try it.

well if someone GIVES me lots of money.... ;) :D

RMC22
07-13-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Brettnyt

well if someone GIVES me lots of money.... ;) :D

Seriously, the only reason why I think that it may be possible is just like the low rev limiter.. To keep it a LEV. I am not saying that's what it is.. That's the thought that is keeping me interested.

Brettnyt
07-13-2003, 12:26 AM
Yeah, i know, theres the possibility, but i dont wanna be the guinea pig... I only have 5 dollars... I prolly couldnt even buy what it takes to remove it!;)

NemesisITR
07-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Took a look at the throttle to see what happens when the plate is on and when it was off. Turns out the butterfly stops at the same point. You would have to change the butterfly stop to take full advantage of removing the throttle stop plate. I put mine back in just to make sure that it doesnt slip off.

My cable slipped off by accident when I was testing the butterfly and it was a BITCH to put back on and I dont want to be on the side of the road putting it back on cause I pressed my accelerator to far;)

02SilverSiHB
07-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by NemesisITR
Took a look at the throttle to see what happens when the plate is on and when it was off. Turns out the butterfly stops at the same point. You would have to change the butterfly stop to take full advantage of removing the throttle stop plate. I put mine back in just to make sure that it doesnt slip off.

One thing to remember also, is that even though the butter fly is stopping it from going anymore, people are still putting stress on the throttle cable and could snap apart with out that throttle plate there to prevent that...unless it's different on this car, I haven't really looked.

BSEVEER
07-15-2003, 02:33 PM
It won't change the fuel cut off, so why bother?

fishboy
07-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

One thing to remember also, is that even though the butter fly is stopping it from going anymore, people are still putting stress on the throttle cable and could snap apart with out that throttle plate there to prevent that...unless it's different on this car, I haven't really looked.

so this theory should hold true for those of us that tightened the slack on our throttle cable, yeah? when i got rid of the slack i was worried that i might be putting more stress on the cable or that i'd be opening the butterfly past it's optimal point! nice to know the butterfly still opens the same, but i still have the stress on the cable to worry about. i adjusted it maybe 1/8 of and inch. it is now as tight as the cruise control cable. hopefully that is fine because i love the way the gas pedal feels after that "mod."

myeverlovinsir
07-15-2003, 03:00 PM
Well when I did my TB mod, I had made an adjustment to the
stop screw and ground the throttle plate end stop so at WOT it would be perpendicular to incomming air. The stock plate stops about 10 deg.
short of perpendicular and creates added turbulance at WOT.

The stop plate under the accelerator is meant to prevent you
from driving the cable past the stop point in the TB. If you remove
it then you can expect added stress on the TB and cable. Something
is going to give eventually if you floor it often. The only thing
you need to check is that you are infact at WOT be it stock or modified when you have the peddle floored. Have
someone push the peddle to the floor while you check the butterfly plate in the TB. Pushing the peddle
any further and not being able to in the TB just does not make sense. ;)

BTW, the nominal callout for slack in the throttle cable is 13mm.

02SilverSiHB
07-15-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by fishboy

so this theory should hold true for those of us that tightened the slack on our throttle cable, yeah? when i got rid of the slack i was worried that i might be putting more stress on the cable or that i'd be opening the butterfly past it's optimal point! nice to know the butterfly still opens the same, but i still have the stress on the cable to worry about. i adjusted it maybe 1/8 of and inch. it is now as tight as the cruise control cable. hopefully that is fine because i love the way the gas pedal feels after that "mod."
you should be all right with that. It doesn't sound like you made it too tight. I did that mod on my last civic, not too tight, but just enough for more throttle response.

fishboy
07-15-2003, 04:55 PM
yeah i didn't do it too tight. at first i wanted it super tight then i thought wait a minute i might snap the cable, then i thought of the butterfly/throttle plate thing. so i gave it as much slack as the cruise control.:)

myeverlovin, can you explain what you did to get the throttle plate to open perfectly perpendicular to the incoming air. i'd like to do that too. thanks man.

TrippZ
07-15-2003, 05:07 PM
so, if you changed the degree at which the butterfly valve stopped, you could make your car faster? hmmmm :D

fishboy
07-15-2003, 05:09 PM
every inch counts.:)

myeverlovinsir
07-15-2003, 07:51 PM
excluding the overbore, you just have to grind the hard stop and adjust the stop pin. (simple turn of the alen key, with locktite)
Stock we are short of perpendicular, so this minor small mod could
gain you some power, based on air flow alone. hth;)

Check out my TB mod in the engine section under how to's. There
are pics showing the perpendicular setup.