PDA

View Full Version : Beltronics Vector FX...

SiR Medic
07-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Anybody seen one of these yet?

BEL Vector FX web page (http://www.beltronics.com/fx.html)

Looks like the same idea as the Gtech Pro and the Apex'i Rev/Speed Meter, only cheaper...

$150 for the base model doesn't seem too bad, what do you guys think?

TheWevel
07-15-2003, 11:02 AM
I installed the Apex'i unit in my car last night...I think it's the best option because it wires straight into the ECU. Kind of hesitant about cutting wires around my ECU, but all in all it was worth it.

BlasTech
07-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Heck, if you can get em at Circuit City, you can return em right? Cant see how you could lose on trying one.

SiR Medic
07-15-2003, 12:52 PM
The only trouble is... There are no Circuit Citys in Canada.

I've been thinking about ordering one of these online...

BlasTech
08-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Just got one for US$119 at Circuit City.

Seems like a neat toy so far, but I havent had the opportunity to do any real testing with it (traffic/location/time factors in)

I'll write a review as soon as I have a full opinion of how it performs, but as long as you run the same stretch consistently, you can use this device to hone your shifting and launching, as well as see any difference in mods.

Its also nifty for measuring your peak lateral G's, which should be handy for groups of people auto-x'ing eps with different setups, and different drivers.

SiR Medic
08-03-2003, 03:44 PM
I've also been seeing adds for the "Passport G-Timer"...

It's the exact same thing in a more "square" form.

http://www.myradardetector.com/images/PhotoDraw309.jpg

I really want to get one of these for that spot under the radio... even have it harwired in!

BlasTech
08-03-2003, 03:55 PM
These units have to face forward to be accurate, and cant be pointed towards the driver.

Also, they recommend putting it in the center of the car to measure the lateral G's correctly, so the under-radio spot should be just right.

Vertigo
08-03-2003, 07:16 PM
I just picked one up last night. It was not the one for $119. It cost $249. This device does it all. Although, i have not had a chance to test it out due to the bad weather.

BlasTech
08-04-2003, 07:20 AM
I tested my quarter mile on an access road, and I got a 16.58 with a bad shift (Im not the best shifter)

My best 0-60 was 7.9 so far.

HondaMan
08-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Glad to see this thread...I was wondering about this device as well. It would go nicely with my BELtronics radar detector. Hmmm...I wish my B-day hadn't come and gone already.

Anymore input on these devices folks?

Vertigo
08-04-2003, 07:07 PM
The model that i have is the FX2. This thing is awsome. It measures horsepower, accelleration, g-force, braking, avg. hp, 0-60 and 1/4 mile. My roommate had it in his nsx last night and pulled 1.2 lateral G's. My EP will be no where near that. Whats nice about it is you just plug it in, calibrate it and go.

BlasTech
08-05-2003, 07:59 AM
I made a nice mount for mine so it fits just right in the area below the stereo. I'll try to get some pics up.

hamproof
08-05-2003, 10:30 AM
BlasTech - the storage area under the radio is at a slight incline. Do you know if this affects the accuracy since you said it has to be in the middle (or recommended) and pointing straight rather than towards the driver? Thanks.

Jpax
08-05-2003, 10:47 AM
yea but do those have a built in shift light that is adjustable rpm range, and can you mount the unit on the steering coloum and put the sensor some were else? or are those all in one unit?

This Apexi revspeed has a built in shift light and a huge display that can be changed to differnet viewing. the sensor can also be mounted somewere else.;)

BlasTech
08-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Paxie:

One of the differences (which is a part of the low price) is that these units do not read the revs based on power fluctuations in the cig lighter or have a shift light. Those particular features often get killed anyway if you add grounding cables to your vehicle, which is something I hope to do someday.

Also, these units use 2 axis measurement instead of 3-axis (G-Tech), but according to the manual, it doesnt affect the accuracy.

You can get very detailed, like you can set your car's weight, the stiffness of you vehicles picth and roll, the speed range you want to test HP within... you can even set a roll-out time of 8" or 12" to start timing you quarter-mile like in a drag-strip.

Hamproof:

Yes, the slot is at an incline, and you need to have the unit level (they say it'll handle up to 30 degrees of tilt, but then when you go on a slight hill you're adding to that, so I made mine level.

Basically, the unit mounts like a radar detector with suction cups on a tilting bracket. I took the bracket off, removed the cups, screwed the bracked to a block of black-painted wood the size of the slot, then reattached the unit to the bracket. I then used some adhesive weather stripping to make the block of wood fit snugly in the slot. Its like a pull-out radio from the 80's or something. :D

Pics coming soon.

BlasTech
08-05-2003, 12:07 PM
Paxie:

One of the differences (which is a part of the low price) is that these units do not read the revs based on power fluctuations in the cig lighter or have a shift light. Those particular features often get killed anyway if you add grounding cables to your vehicle, which is something I hope to do someday.

Also, these units use 2 axis measurement instead of 3-axis (G-Tech), but according to the manual, it doesnt affect the accuracy.

You can get very detailed, like you can set your car's weight, the stiffness of you vehicles picth and roll, the speed range you want to test HP within... you can even set a roll-out time of 8" or 12" to start timing you quarter-mile like in a drag-strip.

Hamproof:

Yes, the slot is at an incline, and you need to have the unit level (they say it'll handle up to 30 degrees of tilt, but then when you go on a slight hill you're adding to that, so I made mine level.

Basically, the unit mounts like a radar detector with suction cups on a tilting bracket. I took the bracket off, removed the cups, screwed the bracked to a block of black-painted wood the size of the slot, then reattached the unit to the bracket. I then used some adhesive weather stripping to make the block of wood fit snugly in the slot. Its like a pull-out radio from the 80's or something. :D

Pics coming soon.

SiR Medic
08-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
I took the bracket off, removed the cups, screwed the bracked to a block of black-painted wood the size of the slot, then reattached the unit to the bracket. I then used some adhesive weather stripping to make the block of wood fit snugly in the slot. Its like a pull-out radio from the 80's or something. :D

Pics coming soon.

Sounds VERY cool...

Now let's see some pics!;)

Speck
08-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Saw one of these yesterday at CC. Was thinking about picking it up. But I wanna see pics now :)

-=speck=-

BlasTech
08-10-2003, 07:18 PM
OK, heres the cabin view of my install:
http://www.dmcknight.net/forumpics/vfx.jpg

The display is showing the a 8.05 sec 0-60 for as my second best time (from my first time using it).

My best 0-60 was a 7.9, but tonight I went out after taking that picture and measured a 7.33! Im happy to see that improvement, after doing some work on my intake all day. (I plugged the first chamber branch with silicone, and attached my home-made P-1 intake.)

SiR Medic
08-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Very cool!

Thanks man... I definately want one, but I think I'll probably get the Passport G-Timer instead, it looks a little cleaner in my opinion...

HondaMan
08-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Sweet...I want one! Well, it sucks being poor...no car goodies for me. Doh! :o

STP03BlueSI
09-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Thats sweet lookin!!!!

audomatik
09-30-2003, 11:38 PM
I work at Circuit City, had no clue we had these... might have to pick one up... at cost HAHAHAHA suckers... JK JK JK... i'll have to check into these, thanks for the info