PDA

View Full Version : when to get shocks...

phatfreeza
07-10-2003, 11:16 PM
i'm getting some springs soon, and i was wondering how long your stock shocks lasted before having to purchase aftermarket ones...i'm talking to the eibach sportline, progress, and tein s-tech people :) thanks!

oh yeah...and since the only shocks for our cars is the koni yellows...and you have to modify it to fit. i heard that aftermarket shocks have a lifetime warranty...does modifying it null the warranty? so many questions! :angel: thanks again people!

potator
07-26-2003, 02:07 AM
Very newb question... but what exactly are shocks?
Can someone be so kind enough to explain to me what they are, and what they do? And also why lowering a car will require one/benefit from one? Thanks a million in advance.

sleepin02si
07-26-2003, 06:13 AM
You have to replace the stock shocks because they are are designed to operate within the shortened ride height. They are most effective for the stock ride height. So, the real bennefit of replacing shocks is proper support for your ride height, as well as getting the appropriate "life" out of your shocks (you shouldn't wear them out early).

BTW, If I am wrong here, someone please correct me. This is only what I've learned from fairly inexperienced people. I would love to hear a professional explanation as well.;)

andy
07-26-2003, 08:36 AM
sleepin, I think you're pretty much right on the money.

Here's a couple good links. First, one in this forum (it's called
something like 911, M3 and Porsche Suspension Commonalities (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17644)). It is a good explanation of the double
wishbone type suspension of the former Si/ITR
and the MacPherson strut style suspension that is in the current
Si.

Here's another good link (http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/suspension/components.html) from tokico on how the
whole suspension setup works in general. A good read.

DynaSpeed
07-26-2003, 08:54 AM
I think my stockers are right about at the end of their life.... about 30,000 miles with around a 2" drop with Ground Controls. I got more out of them then I ever expected... and they are still good for everyday driving. It just seems a little bouncier in a tough sweeper.

potator
07-26-2003, 01:07 PM
Thanks a lot, sleepin02si. So would I need to be getting new shocks when I drop my car? It just seems you have to keep getting new things and new things just to lower the car. :'(
First I thought it was just the springs, then I found out about Camber Kit, now the shocks... It's cool though. How much would a complete set of shocks for the ep cost for a 1.5 inch Tein drop? And do people who drop their cars always get shocks to go with the drop? Or is getting shocks faily optional and not common?

sleepin02si
07-26-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by potator
Thanks a lot, sleepin02si. So would I need to be getting new shocks when I drop my car? It just seems you have to keep getting new things and new things just to lower the car. :'(
First I thought it was just the springs, then I found out about Camber Kit, now the shocks... It's cool though. How much would a complete set of shocks for the ep cost for a 1.5 inch Tein drop? And do people who drop their cars always get shocks to go with the drop? Or is getting shocks faily optional and not common?

If you are only going down 1.5" you might not need the camber kit. As far as the new shocks being optional, my mechanic at the dealership said that I would not void my warranty if I put new shocks on when I lowered it. I would say that the majority of people upgrade their shocks when they lower the car. One thing to remember, when lowering your car, you are changing the suspension from riding above the wheels to between the wheels, stock shocks are not designed for that.

potator
07-26-2003, 01:31 PM
I see. Thank you very much, sleepin02si. What kinda shocks should I be lookin at for the 1.5 drop, and any idea how much they will cost?
And also, will that basically complete the setup? To lower the car I mean, will that be all I need? Springs, Camber Kit, and the Shocks? I hope there will be nothing more...:'(
I've heard something about Bump Stops, but I'm not sure what they are or what they're used for. If you or anyone else can sum it up for me real quick that'd be cool. And would my EP with the 1.5 drop need these 'Bump Stop's? Thank you a bunch again in advance.

Tenacious G
07-26-2003, 01:45 PM
for a 1.5" drop, a camber kit is not needed, but wouldn't hurt.

as for aftermarket struts, the only ones i know of so far are koni yellows. tokico and kyb are developing theirs. the only problem with the konis are you have to modify the stock strut housing for them to fit. it's not too bad, ask 02SilverSiHB, he has some konis with skunk 2 coilovers. there's a good how-to section at www.k-series.com

i have some tein springs and am waiting for some more adjustable shocks choices before i put them in. and, if nothing else becomes available, i'll probably going with a full coil-over set from tein, kw or those new mugen coilovers. adjustable shocks will run about $500-$600 (not including installation) and coilovers will run about $1000-$2000.

bump stops are rubber inserts in the shocks to keep the shocks from completely bottoming out and causing major damage if you hit a big bump. there already are bump stops in the stock set up.

hope this helps, and someone feel free to correct me if i got anything wrong.

potator
07-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Thank you so much, Tenacious G. I've heard some good things about Coilovers, and how they will allow your ride height to be adjusted. My question is, will you still need all the extra modification if you went with Coilovers instead of springs? Like say you got Coilovers, then would you need the Camber Kit, Shocks, and Bumpstops just the same?

sleepin02si
07-26-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by potator
Thank you so much, Tenacious G. I've heard some good things about Coilovers, and how they will allow your ride height to be adjusted. My question is, will you still need all the extra modification if you went with Coilovers instead of springs? Like say you got Coilovers, then would you need the Camber Kit, Shocks, and Bumpstops just the same?

Answer: yes

Even if you get the KW coilovers, like the ones I'm gonne get before the year is over, you will still need those things. You need them because of the change in ride height, not because of the change in parts.;)

Tenacious G
07-26-2003, 06:09 PM
yes and no, full coilovers are the entire setup. spring, damper (shock/strut), dust cover, etc.

here's a pic of the tein type flex setup, this is one of the better coilovers out there.

http://www.tein.com/img/flex1.jpg

or here's a JIC coilover, another good choice. you can adjust camber on this coilover.

http://www.jic-magic.com/susp/sa1/sa1_detail.gif

greg

sleepin02si
07-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
yes and no, full coilovers are the entire setup. spring, damper (shock/strut), dust cover, etc.

here's a pic of the tein type flex setup, this is one of the better coilovers out there.

or here's a JIC coilover, another good choice. you can adjust camber on this coilover.

greg

All I was saying is that you wouldn't be using your stock ones anymore, but you def. provided thorough information.

potator
07-26-2003, 06:44 PM
Thank you very much, Tenacious G. About how much does that Tein set cost?

sleepin02si
07-26-2003, 06:49 PM
HONDA Civic Si
EP3 03+ FLEX DSA12-6USS1
$1860.00

tein.com (http://tein.com)

02TafWhtSi
07-27-2003, 08:36 AM
These are what I'll be receiving in a few more days...

"Mugen Releases Sport Suspension Kit for 02-03 Civic Si and RSX

After over 2 years of extensive development Mugen has released their Sport Suspension kit for the 02-03 Civic Si and RSX. Compression and rebound shock calibrations were carefully chosen to bring out the best of the EP3/DC5 chassis. Mugen has chosen spring rates that result in a sporty yet subtle ride with outstanding handling. Mugen has also addressed any bumpsteer issues with the relocation of the steering arm. This is the suspension kit you have been waiting for!!

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/images/products/50000-XK5-K0S0_3.jpg

Civicvtec1ps
07-27-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi

After over 2 years of extensive development Mugen has released their Sport Suspension kit for the 02-03 Civic Si and RSX. Compression and rebound shock calibrations were carefully chosen to bring out the best of the EP3/DC5 chassis. Mugen has chosen spring rates that result in a sporty yet subtle ride with outstanding handling. Mugen has also addressed any bumpsteer issues with the relocation of the steering arm. This is the suspension kit you have been waiting for!!

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/images/products/50000-XK5-K0S0_3.jpg
post pics , reviews , all that,
i am def. interested :eek:

sleepin02si
07-27-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi

I went to kingmotorsports.com and saw they were selling it for $1,000. But that was all I could really find out about it there. What is the drop? In what ways are they adjustable? Is it a complete kit, or are seperate shocks/struts going to be needed to be purchased separately?

Tenacious G
07-27-2003, 11:30 AM
the mugen coilovers are full coilovers, non-adjustable. drop is about 1.5-1.7"

some members already have these. they had favorable things to say about them.

siver-SI
07-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
tokico and kyb are developing theirs.

I have contacted them and I am getting told by about the end of the year they both should have their shocks out. I have my Eibach springs in my house right now but I might wait till shock comeout before the install. I will have to see how my life goes for time and if I wait I do not have to tear apart my car twice.

02TafWhtSi
07-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps

post pics , reviews , all that,
i am def. interested :eek:

you bet I will :)