PDA

View Full Version : AutoWeek covers the Type R

Mechanic
08-22-2002, 04:24 PM
Really good article on the CTR in the Aug. 26th issue of AutoWeek. (And, no, I can't scan it. You are reading e-mail written by one of the 'computer-challenged.')

But, the header reads "Not for U.S. Sale." The writer then goes on to tell the reader what we all know: that it's a super car, and that it makes no sense whatsoever not to bring it in, particularly when "[i]t was Americans who put Honda performance on the map . . . . Where's the justice?" Indeed.

The discouraging part of the article is AutoWeek's statement that "Honda Boss Tom Elliott has said there's room for only one Type-R at American Honda, and Acura's previous Integra Type R was the precedent." The article also mentions "a few downsides," such as the hair-trigger throttle." (Yea, read that before. So what.) Not cheap, though. At the current dollar/pound relationship, the estimated U.S. price is $25k. (That price should be consolation to all those who think their $18k Si would tank in value; clearly it wouldn't with that spread in price.)

The article concludes with this: "So if you want real Honda power, straight from the factory instead of Hiroshi's Aftermarket House of VTEC, write Honda product planning department in Torrance, California. Tell them to bring the Civic Type-R across the pond. . . . ." Neat photo too.

Ok, I will. And now I have a name to put on the envelope. It's too bad that I don't have the guy's e-mail address, or my appeal to his good sense would be in his mail-box in the morning.

SarahVTEC
08-22-2002, 05:52 PM
Interesting article. Actually, I wrote Tom Elliott last year regarding my disappointment that Honda decided to resurrect the "Si" instead of import the Type R....and he wrote back! He signed it and everything! No stamp here. Any ways, he said there were several reasons why the CTR is not coming to the US. - the most important being Honda doesn't think they can sell enough of them at the price they want to charge. Well, the "Si" hasn't been selling well at all. I guess the '02 marketing division is going to be fired for that lousy decision. I recently wrote him again to see if Honda has changed their mind and bring the CTR. I'll keep ya posted...

civic hatch boi
08-22-2002, 06:59 PM
personally, i dont' want the ctr to come :) i like having limited Ep's :) i don't want them sprouting everywhere..

Mr Sparkle
08-23-2002, 01:47 PM
You don't want the CTR...

Can you poke yourself really hard in the eye.

02blksi
08-24-2002, 05:34 AM
The si's are selling just fine here in CT. Personally i could care less if only 2 more people buy them! just makes my car that much more$. Coming from owning a 98 coupe and seeing everyone and there mother driving one, i dont mind being the rare few on the road. The si is built to a specific performance orientated market, and quite honestly i think the dealer msrp scares ALOT of people away from asking to buy it (little do they know that they can get that msrp cut by almost 3 grand!!!) .. just my thoughts --joe

almost forgot! CTR - USA :)

Mechanic
08-24-2002, 06:27 AM
First, 02blksi, I admire your car and your choice of color. I also agree w/you that, for a variety of reasons -- $, shape, shifter, you name it -- the Si will remain, for lots of Americans, an acquired taste and be a relatively-limited production automobile here. (Sort of like the BMW 2002 in the late '60s/early 70s. The damn thing looked like the box it came in. It wasn't until lots of years later that Bimmer owners started getting misty-eyed over their lost opportunity to have owned a neat car.)

But, to return to the prospects for the CTR, I, too, wrote Mr. Elliott yesterday. Can't hurt. His address is Honda Product Planning, 1919 Torrance Blvd., Torrance, CA 90501.