PDA

View Full Version : So... I wrecked my car...

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 08:48 AM
Not WRECK but it's pretty bad.

I was driving around and I lost control, and i hit my front right rim on a curb pretty hard. Rims aren't for sale anymore, btw, I'm just gonna toss 'em.

So, the problem is, instead of being straight up and down like this - | the wheel and tire go like this - /

How the hell am I supposed to fix that? Where? How much?

The tire also makes alot of noise when I drive and touches my sidewall with extreme turns.

Help a brutha out, please.

HeelToePro
07-11-2003, 08:50 AM
post some pictures...

civic hatch boi
07-11-2003, 08:51 AM
does the tire have positive or negative camber? ... i'm thinking positive?

TomR123
07-11-2003, 08:53 AM
Yea cant say much without pics. Im gonna take a wild shot and say it sounds like you messed up the tie rod(I wouldnt take my word for it without seeing it). And dont just toss the rims Im sure someone could use 3 rims (depending how bad the 4th is fixing is an option)

todaCspec
07-11-2003, 08:55 AM
no mofo,

Gots 2 be more careful out there, it's a jungle. Maybe bent control arm or bent/broken ball joint?

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 08:56 AM
here you go

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 08:57 AM

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 08:59 AM
damage :'( :'(

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 08:59 AM
damage :'( :'( :'(

02SiHB
07-11-2003, 09:01 AM
John, you know I love you dude. But I'm going to be honest.

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE DONE.

My girl did the same thing snow drifting... Drifted right into a curb.

DONT drive it. Even it being the slightest bit off... If It's from damage, the whole damn wheel could fall off.

DONT report it to your insurance. I dunno about one wheel, but to replace all the shit my g/f broke, it was $3,500.

If you report it, your insurance could be $300+ when you go on your own plan if you do it before 25.

Damn that sucks man.. I'll talk to you about it more on AIM, I hope it's not too serious.

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 09:10 AM
uhhh

i dont think its THAT serious.

just tell me what I should do

DynaSpeed
07-11-2003, 09:12 AM
why don't you have your dad pay for it? Didn't he buy the car for you?

IceD out N CALI
07-11-2003, 09:14 AM
have you taken it into a shop to check for damage? maybe an estimate. maybe something came off or bent in the suspension?

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 09:14 AM
not really, he signed the papers, I work for him, i dont get paid, so technically, he's skipping the middle man (me) by just giving my paychecks to honda and All-State

so technically everything comes out of my pocket

what should I do, dangit.

glw
07-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by TrippZ
uhhh

i dont think its THAT serious.

just tell me what I should do sorry to hear about the damage but you might want to take your ep to a couple of local repair shops and get estimates. you'll get some idea as to what is broke and you can decide to let them do it or attempt it yourself...

IceD out N CALI
07-11-2003, 09:22 AM
yeah i'd just take it into a shop and get an estimate and take it from there

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 09:25 AM
but if it costs alot why shouldnt I tell my insurance?

tony speed
07-11-2003, 09:29 AM
i hit my front right hard too and i bent the lower control arm. take off the wheel and examine that big metal control arm to see if it's bent or twisted.

yours looks nice compared to mine....my wheel was at a 30 degree angle from straight and the stock rim was busted up all around. The arm is around 160 - 170 bucks. Then you're probably gonna have to get aligned when they install it.

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by tony speed
i hit my front right hard too and i bent the lower control arm. take off the wheel and examine that big metal control arm to see if it's bent or twisted.

yours looks nice compared to mine....my wheel was at a 30 degree angle from straight and the stock rim was busted up all around. The arm is around 160 - 170 bucks. Then you're probably gonna have to get aligned when they install it.

do you have AIM? sounds liek you were in the same situation as mine. someone told me just to go get it alligned and check the cast and camber, could that be it? maybe it was just pushed a little?

tony speed
07-11-2003, 09:59 AM
AIM SN => daiskamui

it could be worse than that depending on how hard you hit

tony speed
07-11-2003, 10:21 AM
What I did was look at the suspension components to see if any were damaged. The control arm (the big v-shaped metal piece that supports the weight of the wheel/brake/rotor) should be straight and smooth, no wierd or subtle bends, curves, or cracks. The stabilizer bar and link should be solidly connected. When I hit the curb, the control arm bend, breaking the grey plastic stabilizer link that connects the stabilizer bar to the control arm. Examine carefully. The tie rod ball joint should be snuggly in the suspension. The cv joint and rod (the rod with the rubber covers on either end that juts out of the tranny and shoots straight toward the wheel from the engine bay) should not be bent or damaged in anyway. If you look closely at the parts you should be able to tell what is wrong. If you don't see anything, then take it to a mechanic to check it out.

if i had to make a guess, i'd say your lower conrol arm. That thick v-shaped metal thing is slighly bent. I'd start there first.

But you should have a mechanic inspect it, before you try to align it.

fishboy
07-11-2003, 10:29 AM
time for a fullcoilover kit.:D btw the same thing happened to civic hatch boi and last i heard he drove with it. i dunno if it is still like that though.

Suk02Si
07-11-2003, 10:43 AM
I think hatch boi bent his shock, his tie rod arm and control arm were okay. I dont remember tho:o

civic hatch boi
07-11-2003, 11:15 AM
yeah.. my camber was way off like yours.. i took it to a suspension place and they said it would be from $200-$1000 .. but he coudlnt' tell exactly. but when it came down to it.. i just had a bent strut.. my dad ordered one and my dad and i put it in. total cost of like $120? or something like that. and my right front rim is nasty too :T blah.. hope urs isn't bad either.

Brettnyt
07-11-2003, 11:30 AM
Ouch man, that sucks... I woulda cried like a lil baby... you shoulda seen me when i got a lil scrape on my stock wheel, i was pissed as hell.... Hope you get everything figured out man, could be spendy, oh shit, you are on AIM, we will talk there...

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 11:32 AM
hmm, well, i hydro planed and hit the curb at probablyabout 5-10 mph

siver-SI
07-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Do you have a camber kit on the car? I have seen it were people that do and hit a curb the cam bolt moves or gets bent and that will cause that. I would go to a shop and get a free estamate and go from there.

Brettnyt
07-11-2003, 12:48 PM
AHHH!

Brettnyt
07-11-2003, 12:51 PM
for those of you who didnt know, That is Trippz... No wonder he screwed up his car, his man boobs got caught in the steering wheel! :eek:

Makross
07-11-2003, 12:53 PM
good luck brah

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Wanna know the best part? I used my weight loss pill bottles to make those titties.

god i'm hot.

Brettnyt
07-11-2003, 01:02 PM
LOL, sweet...

todaCspec
07-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Wanna know the best part? I used my weight loss pill bottles to make those titties.

god i'm hot.

Weight loss pills? WTF?
Can you show us a before and after shot? Are you a man whore?

DynaSpeed
07-11-2003, 01:33 PM
trippz... you did give me a good idea, though.
I'm putting my computer in the kitchen.... fridge full o' beer & some ephatch... it's miller time.

wait... have you ever thought of throwing away the weight loss pills and taking the computer out of the kitchen?

NemesisITR
07-11-2003, 02:41 PM
That sucks what happened to your car.....hope it doesnt cost that much to repair it.

cbecker333
07-11-2003, 02:42 PM
but if it costs alot why shouldnt I tell my insurance?

you hit something that wasn't moving = you pay more for insurance (a lot) until you are 25 years old

The insurance company will see you as a higher risk driver if you make a claim like this, and they'll use that to justify raising your insurance (I think)

SiR Medic
07-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Don't write off those wheels just yet...

A lot of places can fix minor damage to rims like that.

Same thing happened to me in my RX-7 (except it was a patch of ice). Fixing the wheel was expensive, but cheaper than a new wheel.

Either that, or offer the wheels at a discount price, and let someone else fix'em!

golferjn
07-11-2003, 04:19 PM
sorry to hear about that man

TrippZ
07-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
trippz... you did give me a good idea, though.
I'm putting my computer in the kitchen.... fridge full o' beer & some ephatch... it's miller time.

wait... have you ever thought of throwing away the weight loss pills and taking the computer out of the kitchen?

its not a kitchen, its our backroom at our store ;)

good news, i told my dad. hes gonna keep it in our garage till we can fix it... a.k.a. IM GROUNDED!

ahahahah

i knew it

oh well, shit happens.

i should stop being a jackass

TrippZ
07-13-2003, 11:33 AM
thought oyu guys should know that I decided if repairs are more then $500 or so total, I can't afford to fix it, and I would seriously consider selling the Si.

:( :'(

I think if its only a broken control arm and the cost is $150 or so for a new one, then I can get a friend to do the swap with me helping for experience and maybe a discount, if I be the shop-bitch.

I'm also kinda hoping a spring is bent, at least then I can get a drop. How much would 1 new spring be? like $100? I can get a set of used springs that drop the car for $100 I'm sure.

Also, if I don't get honda to do the work (hell no, $80, they can go have sex with themselves), suspension warranty becomes voided, right?