PDA

View Full Version : MSD sport compact ignition

jereds02si
07-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Anyone have the MSD sport compact ignition? If so could you tell a difference and how much do they sell for?

icegrill
07-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Don't even think another thought about them. They don't do a damn thing. I had one on my old civic. It was a nightmare. The direct ignition on our cars is so good it shouldn't even be questioned. Maybe if you were running a race car with nos and turbo it may help a little but even for turbo stock ignition is fine.

jereds02si
07-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Alright, thanks for the advice. I wasn't really considering it but I was wondering if it even helped for our cars.

JSIR
07-12-2003, 08:54 AM
some of the RSX guys have done the Nology ignition upgrade, and have reported very little gains, but they say the car runs smoother - which is pretty standard. Its a lot of work and cost for such a small improvement if any.

Joey

BobRoss
07-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Not worth it for the gain.... hardly ever is..

MSD 2 step revlimiter and soft touch are nice though ;)

Quicksilver
07-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
some of the RSX guys have done the Nology ignition upgrade, and have reported very little gains, but they say the car runs smoother - which is pretty standard. Its a lot of work and cost for such a small improvement if any.

Which system are they using from Nology? I'd been thinking about a plasma boost system since we have coil packs. Ignition Solutions makes them for the RSX and RSX-S, so I'm sure they make (or could make) something for the Si. But the price is $580 msrp and only gains you around 3-4 hp across the powerband. It hardly seems worth it unless you're looking for every last pony. Maybe if the price was more reasonable (like $300 or so), I'd consider it.

JSIR
07-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver

Which system are they using from Nology? I'd been thinking about a plasma boost system since we have coil packs. Ignition Solutions makes them for the RSX and RSX-S, so I'm sure they make (or could make) something for the Si. But the price is $580 msrp and only gains you around 3-4 hp across the powerband. It hardly seems worth it unless you're looking for every last pony. Maybe if the price was more reasonable (like $300 or so), I'd consider it.

Nology replaces the coil packs with their own coils (4) mounted in the engine bay, and then their wires extend to the spark plugs. Not sure what it's called but they offer it for the k20 engine.

Quicksilver
07-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by JSIR

Nology replaces the coil packs with their own coils (4) mounted in the engine bay, and then their wires extend to the spark plugs. Not sure what it's called but they offer it for the k20 engine.

Did a little research on the Nology Hot Wires. They're using a really weird design, in my opinion. It seems like they're making the system less efficient by adding more wire and adding distance between the coil packs and the spark plugs, even if the capacitor is giving a greater spark.

I like the idea of upgraded replacement coil packs like the Ignition Solutions ones. Even BMWs, which also have very efficient engines and coil packs, are making around 3 hp across the powerband. I sent them an e-mail to find out if they have an application for the Si, pricing, and if they do group buys. Who knows, maybe it's like many other products with high MSRPs and a decent retail price.