PDA

View Full Version : hondata heatshield installed correctly???

Tenacious G
07-11-2003, 12:07 PM
ok, i've had my hondata heatshield gasket on for a couple of weeks now. what i've noticed is that the intake manifold still gets pretty hot, although it does seem to be a *tiny bit* cooler than the engine head.

i've just gone through myeverlovinsir's install, and i did the same process he did. my question is: since i still have the stock air intake, am i sucking up hot engine bay air that is, in turn, heating up the intake manifold?

a friend of mine with a DC5-S said he can run around all day (i think he has a CAI) and his IM will be warm to the touch, not hot like mine.

anyone else have this problem or did i screw up the install somehow? thanks for any replies.

Greg

RMC22
07-11-2003, 12:27 PM
You can't install it wrong. It's a direct replacement. It only drops temps by a little bit.. Break out an uber thermometer or something. I'm sure it's on fine. Take some pics. I don't feel like warming my car up and touching it :)

silver ep
07-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Yeah my intake manifold feels pretty warm (with Hondata Gasket), maybe when I get my Icebox it will be a little cooler, I wouldn't worry about it.

CSMsi311
07-11-2003, 12:41 PM
did you make sure the right side is facing out? smooth side faces out. rough side faces in.

j/k:cool:

I bet a cai would help a lot. or you can just sell it and get a blower like your little brother.

Tenacious G
07-11-2003, 12:49 PM
OK, i'll just go out and get my own JRSC, and we'll take it to the track ... that is if you're car will hold together. remember what happened last time you were at the track???

CSMsi311
07-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
OK, i'll just go out and get my own JRSC, and we'll take it to the track ... that is if you're car will hold together. remember what happened last time you were at the track???

I'm sorry, things like bending your exhaust and blowing out those gaskets is a result of something my engine has, it's called TORQUE. You might not know the feeling.

Tenacious G
07-11-2003, 12:58 PM
at least the K20 has some stock torque to speak of. if it wasn't for your JRSC, the K20A3 has more torque at 2000 rpm than your B16 had at peak power. we need to compare apples to apples.

CSMsi311
07-11-2003, 01:00 PM
::cough:: door stop ::cough::

Tenacious G
07-11-2003, 01:07 PM
::cough:: looks like any other EJ civic coupe with few distinguishing features and a plain interior not to mention major hail damage and rusting paint chips on the hood ::cough::

CSMsi311
07-11-2003, 01:14 PM
learn your chassis codes little boy. EM1 is only the Si platform, all others are EJ's.

I'll make a note to see what your car looks like in 4 years. :'( Dad never gave me the insurance check to fix my car:'(

RMC22
07-11-2003, 09:54 PM
quit being gay and just fight
and video tape it
and post it on ephatch
:cool:

Tenacious G
07-11-2003, 10:45 PM
i do kick his ass on a consistent basis.

sorry to hijack the thread.

thanks for your comments. i'm a bit short on cash lately, so a CAI is not in the near future, but i'm hoping that will make the difference.

chubbychu
07-11-2003, 10:51 PM
....well, depends on how long you have been driving lol....i drove for like an hour and i opened my hood and my IM was cold lolol...

im just kidding...i know nothing about hondata heatshield, but i know that underdifferent conditions, your IM can range in heats

CSMsi311
07-12-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
sorry to hijack the thread.
shut your mouth woman. Your sorry that you jacked your own thread?

ok, no more computer for me for a few days.

JSIR
07-12-2003, 12:58 PM
the Hondata gasket makes a noticeable difference in relatively cool to mild weather. In very hot weather the manifold will eventually heat up from the rad fans blowing on it frequently.

Also, the gasket works well when you go from a cold start from point A to point B, it stays relatively cool. But say you stop at point B for a short period of time, and then start up again continue on to say point C or D; the manifold heats up while the car stops, as it sits in the hot engine bay. A few minutes after the car stops it picks up a lot of radiating heat from the engine and rad. The manifold will also get very hot if the car is left idling for a few minutes, or if stuck in stop and go traffic, the temps eventually climb up.

Joey