PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered hp header

David K.
08-22-2002, 05:10 PM
Placed my order with NOPI today for the hp header. Went w/ chrome since it's cheaper. This part is actually for the BASE RSX for those of you looking. Thanks to ya'll who gave me that info in the first place. This header is a direct bolt-up to our cars. Cheap, too. My total came to $194.15 with shipping.

SpeedRacer
08-22-2002, 05:35 PM
but as far as performance and quality dont you think DC headers will be much better?

JSIR
08-22-2002, 05:54 PM
the HP header is pretty bullet proof, solid construction, not much to complain about quality wise IMO. As far as DC making more power, I'm willing to bet there isn't 1hp difference between HP, Comptech, or DC Sports headers. If I had time to get to a dyno I would have the information closer at hand, but I hope to have some info soon. The dyno info posted by Miamijdm looked pretty impressive though. I do think you need the header, intake , mid-pipe or exhaust upgrades to work in unison on this car to make the most of the gains. I still need an intake :(

SpeedRacer
08-22-2002, 06:01 PM
will a get a performance gain from a carbon fiber hood?

2sloSi
08-22-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
will a get a performance gain from a carbon fiber hood?

Only if properly tuned on the dyno! :D

JSIR
08-22-2002, 06:10 PM
Here is a link to my pics of the HP header, side by side with the stock header, comparison pics....

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b30487a7e4af

three pics, enjoy. I have a post on this board with the measurement specs too.

David K.
08-22-2002, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the photos. I'm sure the diff. is minimal if any btwn. most header brands. IMO as long as you cover the basics, quality is really the only thing you have to worry about. Comptech, DC, and others all make great products, but IMO charge a premium for their name. I don't think that DC has some secret to header construction that no one else knows that gives you 20 extra hp, nor do I believe that their manufacturing methods are light years ahead of anyone else. So far what I have seen and read about the hp header confirms that they make a quality product that can indeed boost performance. It's refreshing that they're not asking us to bankrupt ourselves in order to buy their equipment.

Having said all this, now all I need to do is get it, install it, and see if it's ACTUALLY any good..........:p

greenguy
08-25-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
Here is a link to my pics of the HP header, side by side with the stock header, comparison pics....

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b30487a7e4af

three pics, enjoy. I have a post on this board with the measurement specs too.

Have you installed yet? How was fit-n-finish? performance gains???

2k2civicSi
08-25-2002, 05:37 PM
why are you stock headers like black mine are silver and have texture to them

JSIR
08-25-2002, 06:27 PM
2k2civicSi, you are looking at your intake manifold, the exhaust manifold is closest to the firewall under a heat shield and it would look like mine if you removed the heat shield.

Fit and finish of the HP is pretty good, no complaints, install was perfect no fitment probs. Performance is hard to guage, bottom end and mid range feel stronger in all driving situations, not sure about top end performance, hard to tell until I can dyno it. hth.

2k2civicSi
08-25-2002, 06:55 PM
o shit your right my bad did you install the headers your self arnt they hard to get to

JSIR
08-27-2002, 05:18 PM
1.5 hrs to install at home using stands and hand-tools only, not bad,.

SpeedRacer
08-27-2002, 05:27 PM
im waiting for DC thare is a reason they havn't put out headers for are car beause they are doing more research but hp probly just took are diamater and made it a little bigger and said here ya go and the quality cant be as good as DC but like i said thare is a reason why DC and the other big name brands havn't brought out the headers for are car is what the reason is im not sure but i dont want to settle for anything but the best

fishboy
08-27-2002, 05:38 PM
yeah i think i will go with dc or comptech for the header, hopefully they will yield larger gains. even if its slightly larger i'll take it. i might scratch the comptech one because it is really really expensive, but we'll see what their gains are. i have a question. why wouldn't the header for the type-s work? is it because no one has tried it yet? if it does work comptech has one out already.

David K.
08-27-2002, 07:06 PM
I read an interview recently in a mag (Honda/Acura I think) where a DC rep was saying that what worked for the B series motors was not working for the K20. They were having a harder time with pipe diameter and collector design and whatnot. You guys might be right but I'm too impatient and money is kinda tight right now. Besides miamijdm seems to be having no worries. When I get it installed I plan on dynoing my car. If and when anyone gets DC or Comptech I hope they'll dyno theirs. I am curious to know who will make the best power gains.