PDA

View Full Version : Why did I sell my Si?

snubnose
07-12-2003, 07:10 AM
Anyone that plays a guitar knows about Gas, or "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome." That means you are always looking at new guitars, thinking about trading the guitars you already have for the new ones.

Well, I guess I have "CAS." Although my Si is fine, I think that more hp and more money means a better car. Right now, I'm obsessed with the 2004 Honda S2000. The thing is, I know I might be sorry if I traded my Si for it.

I'd think, "Why did I trade my Si for this car?" All the good things I loved about my Si would come flooding back to me. I'd think about how I took care of it, and how much I missed it.

Here is what worries me about the S2000:

leaky roof
notchy gear or grinding gear
bad winter car
after a while I'd get used to it and the honeymoon would be over
not a car that I'd enjoy for a long overnight drive

After over a year with the Si, I am still very happy with it. In fact, just a few days ago, I finally discovered my perfect driving position.

The S2000 is a beautiful machine, a great pure sports car. But it would be my only car. If I traded my Si for it, I might be thinking, "Why did I sell my Si?"

TheMutt
07-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Well it's all taste. Nobody can tell you which is the better car. If you can get it for the right price, and you think its what you want, go for it. Nobody wants to see an EP driver leave, but it can't be the car for everyone.

Jodster
07-12-2003, 07:19 AM
You could always get a daily driver when you get the S2K. That way you will always love driving the car every now and then. Plus you can keep the miles low on it. I've seen lots of early 90 model civic for sell really cheap.

blueiedgod
07-12-2003, 07:22 AM
well, your profile does not list where you come from, but if you are anywhere near the snow belt then S2200 as the only car is not a very bright idea. Every snow storm you would have to either sit out at home, or take a bus. I had Si this past winter, and with all the snow we had, it was perfect handler. In fact it was just as good as AWD CR-V. The stock Michelins are pretty good in the snow.

SinisterCivicSi
07-12-2003, 09:14 AM
another BIG minus for the s2000 is the absolute lack of space. you mentioned if you ever went on a road trip.....where the hell are you gonna put your stuff? all you got is the passenger seat. at least with the si you got plenty of room to stretch out and you can throw your crap in the back without feeling cluttered and cramped.

another minus is insurance......your premium is gonna go up with the s2000 as opposed to the si.

plus, you had me at "leaky roof" ...... thats already enough reason to not get one for me.

like someone else said, its all on taste and what you really want. just think about it though, all that money you would be spending on a newer car, you can save and build up your si.....get turbo, or whatever....

just my 2 cents

snubnose
07-12-2003, 10:01 AM
I've just returned from vacuming and filling up my Si with gas. The gas station was next to an Acura Dealer and I guess one of the salesmen there drives a black, s2000. My Si and the S2K were about 20 feet apart.

I looked back and forth between them. My Si was newly washed. They are both beautiful cars, but in my mind, my Si looked better than the little S.

I know that the S is a superb, precision machine with a snick snick 6 speed shifter.

natesi
07-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by snubnose
Anyone that plays a guitar knows about Gas, or "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome." That means you are always looking at new guitars, thinking about trading the guitars you already have for the new ones.

Well, I guess I have "CAS." Although my Si is fine, I think that more hp and more money means a better car. Right now, I'm obsessed with the 2004 Honda S2000. The thing is, I know I might be sorry if I traded my Si for it.

I'd think, "Why did I trade my Si for this car?" All the good things I loved about my Si would come flooding back to me. I'd think about how I took care of it, and how much I missed it.

Here is what worries me about the S2000:

leaky roof
notchy gear or grinding gear
bad winter car
after a while I'd get used to it and the honeymoon would be over
not a car that I'd enjoy for a long overnight drive

After over a year with the Si, I am still very happy with it. In fact, just a few days ago, I finally discovered my perfect driving position.

The S2000 is a beautiful machine, a great pure sports car. But it would be my only car. If I traded my Si for it, I might be thinking, "Why did I sell my Si?"

Sounds like what is called "consumerism" to me--the marketers have you exactly where they want you--thinking that new things will make you happy. And they will--temporarily. But you admit that won't last, and it wont. Don't waste your money man. You already know, that ultimately, you won't be happy with the S2000.

Besides, I would seriously bet that once the temporary happiness, or "honeymoon"--as you describe it, wears off... you

IceD out N CALI
07-12-2003, 10:38 AM
dont get the s2k, its not all that great. more hype than anything, and the pricetag? no thanks. how about this. think about it, and if after 6 months you still want it really bad, then do it. give urself some time-cant go wrong doing that;)

snubnose
07-12-2003, 10:45 AM
That's some good advice, IceD out NCALI and natesi. The best thing to do is wait, and see what everyone is saying about the new 2004 S2K and also the RX 8.

IN that time, prices will go down, I'll save more money, I'll owe less on the Si.

chubbychu
07-12-2003, 11:03 AM
it would be fun to have an s2000 but ultimately i think it is an old rich persons car....or a "once in a while car"

from the way its designed its not a very practical daily driver, but it sure is fun looking.
I dont know about you but whever my dad changes cars (he has CAS) we lose a lot of money. and i hate it, its not worth it! And also, think of all the modding still left to be done to the SI