PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie Question

BobRoss
07-12-2003, 01:15 PM
In regards to hondata, what does it take to reflash the ecu?

Do i have to pay every time they have an update? Do i have to send them my ECU (which involves downtime)? If somone can school me on this, i would appreciate it.

Tenacious G
07-12-2003, 04:40 PM
the $600 will reflash your ECU (you have to send them yours along with immobilizer and key, i think).

if the ECU is reset (say, by the honda dealership during service), there is an additional charge for hondata to re-reflash the ECU.

CSMsi311
07-15-2003, 02:03 PM
resetting the ecu can be as easy as unplugging the battery. or pulling the backup fuse. Does that still erase the "flash"? hopefully not.

And everyone quit getting this stupid reflash so they will bring out the real Hondata for the EP

Tenacious G
07-15-2003, 03:12 PM
no, i think it has to do with changing the acutal settings and timing and such. i would HOPE it's not as easy as just disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuse.

and what is this "real" hondata ECU you speak of? customizable?

SIbeau
07-15-2003, 05:01 PM
I would also like to know what this "real" hondata flash is.

CSMsi311
07-15-2003, 05:27 PM
The real hondata is a true standalone sytem. It is fully customizable (ignition, fuel, vtec engagement, redline, DATALOGGING, nitrous control w/ seperate fuel maps, autotuning i think, anything you would want) Might be overkill for just bolt-ons, but for forced induction, nitrous, or highly modded N/A it is really the only way to go.

go to the hondata website and see what they offer for other cars.

I would like to go with the AEM EMS, full standalone, but I couldn't afford it right now since i'm in college. Even though I just found out that I could get an interest free loan from my school. The EMS is a plug and play unit. hondata requires a OBD1 ecu. At least for my 99 si.

NamingException
07-15-2003, 07:56 PM
The technology in our ECUs is way more complicated than in previous generation Hondas. Go back to the Hondata page and read what they have to say about K series engines in the technical section, it's good reading.

CSMsi311
07-15-2003, 09:02 PM
that is what they said about OBD2 computers. But if they are making all this money doing relatively little work that they have no incentive to work hard to make a better product