PDA

View Full Version : Drag tire and wheel setup.

JDMakeover
07-14-2003, 01:14 AM
I'm planning on going to 15x7's, is it a good choice for drag?

With some new Yokohama ES 100 AVS tires cut off a fair amount of time from my 0-60 and quarter mile times?

Also list some decent looking lightweight, Japanese-made drag wheels and/or tires you guys might suggest.

ssvr6
07-14-2003, 04:59 AM
The AVS ES 100s are street tires. You're best bet would be the Nitto 555R's or the BFGoodrich Drag Radials (the model slips my mind).

The size is ok, a 15X8 might be better. Find out what sizes the tires come in and work with that.

Wheel wise, you have a few choices. Any Rota model, OZ Superleggara, Centerline, 5Zigen FN01RCs, etc...

Good luck,

Steve

2k2ep
07-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Pick a good DRAG slick first then chose wheel width. A 15x6/8 wheel with 24/26x8 tires I'm guessing would do the trick.

chunky
07-15-2003, 09:24 PM
personally, I would go with some 15x6.5 or 15x7 wheels, then get some 9-10" wide slicks, no more than 23" in diameter. The shorter overall tire will shorten your gearing, and the wider width will give you better hookup. then get skinnies for the back.

JDMakeover
07-15-2003, 11:18 PM
Alright thanks guys, I'm getting 15x6.5" on all four corners (Buddy Club P1).

I'm looking to use Yokohama AVS ES 100's as well. I don't want to spend more than what those cost nor do I want a drag slick but rather a street race tire that is still a competent handler.

How much time off my 0 to 60 and quarter mile will I cut off if any? I'm looking to expect a good gain. I mean after all shouldn't there be big gains? These stock Michelins are really shitty!

ssvr6
07-16-2003, 05:06 AM
You're not going to see huge gains with street tires, I'm sorry. I'm running them now and I don't expect them to grip like DR's.

Just get a set of Nitto 555Rs (for the front) and be done with it.

Steve

JDMakeover
07-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Come on now! They gotta be a hell of a lot better than those shitty Michelins...I mean a LOT better. Can you launch better SSVR?

If I buy 555R's, will my cornering capability be severely impaired? Will they be as good as the AVS? If worse, how much?

Really need to get all these things answered guys cause it's not every day I have the moneyt to buy $400 in tires...

chunky
07-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by JDMakeover
Come on now! They gotta be a hell of a lot better than those shitty Michelins...I mean a LOT better. Can you launch better SSVR?

If I buy 555R's, will my cornering capability be severely impaired? Will they be as good as the AVS? If worse, how much?

Really need to get all these things answered guys cause it's not every day I have the moneyt to buy $400 in tires...

well, you should probably re-phrase your question. You're not looking for a drag tire setup, you're looking for a good inexpensive tire that provides better off the line grip & cornering grip than the stock michelins.

I currently have 15x7 wheels with the 225/50/15 avs es100's on them. I'm pretty happy with them so far. off the line grip is obviously improved b/c of hte wider width. in stock size, I'm not sure that the avs es100's would really grip that much better off the line than the michelins. Cornering is improved due to added contact patch once again, but the sidewalls do seem to be significantly stiffer than the michelins, so even in stock size, cornering would be better with the avs es100's.

if you're looking for a good budget tire, the avs es100's are a great tire. there are better tires out there, but seems like you don't wanna spend that kinda money.

JDMakeover
07-16-2003, 08:59 PM
Asked in a better way:

I want 2 front tires that: fit perfectly on 15x6.5's, are good for drag racing, last substantially longer than others of its kind.

Please comment.

ssvr6
07-16-2003, 09:39 PM
You can't have Drag Racing and cornering in the same sentence when it comes to tires.

Nitto 555R's are still my suggestion for drag radials.

Steve