PDA

View Full Version : Spoon ECU

03BlueEP3
07-14-2003, 04:53 AM
Is anyone out there running a Spoon ECU. I found one for the car but it is based off the CTR. I am looking to run this in my car (if possible). If anyone has experience with this ECU please post here and give some info!

Here are some specs on the Spoon ECU:

The Spoon sports computer provides improved performance for circuit and street use while maintaining street drivability. The fuel and ignition timing maps used have been determined from extensive testing and circuit experience.

Model - Civic R
Chassis - EP3
Engine - K20A
Spoon Rev Limit - 8500
Stock Rev Limit - 8000
Spoon VTEC Crossover - 5600-5900
Stock VTEC Crossover - 5900-6100

ssvr6
07-14-2003, 05:22 AM
You'd have to do a motor swap (or a head swap). It's made for the K20A and we have the K20A3.

Steve

redronin22
07-14-2003, 06:24 PM
why not just hondata reflash?

03BlueEP3
07-14-2003, 07:46 PM
I just spook with my Spoon guy and currently the Spoon computer is NOT compatable with US spec. EP3's. Spoon IS in the process of making an ECU for the US spec. EP3's.

**EDIT** I had a MAJOR brain fart! I was haltech we were having a problem with. I am sorry for the mix up!

SiMPLE_SiMON
07-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Sounds like you're thinking of the standalone Hondata and not the Hondata reflash that they have for the K20 engines.

siver-SI
07-14-2003, 08:33 PM
What is the cost for a ECU from them? Do you send them your ECU and then they send it back flashed or do you just have to buy a new ECU from them. There are only 2 things keeping me back form a Hondata ECU one is the cost and the other is how will it work when I add a Turbo.

fishboy
07-15-2003, 09:19 AM
yeah hondata wouldn't mesh well with nitrous either that's why i pass on hondata.

redronin22
07-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by 03BlueEP3
I just spook with my Spoon guy and currently the Spoon computer is NOT compatable with US spec. EP3's. Spoon IS in the process of making an ECU for the US spec. EP3's.

I was never a fan of hondata. Not too sure if people are aware but with a hondata ECU you can NOT have your car jumped if you need it. hondata is a good tool if you are running a RACE car and you have a laptop with the program next to you. ALSO hondata has what worst customer support/trouble shooting in the world. My shop Cybernation Motorsports USED to run hondata on a few cars and we have REMOVED ALL hondatas and replaced them with either STOCK, MUGEN, or SPOON computers. hondata is a very fisty unit.
Just my 2 cts.

dude iono what ur talking about but i had awesome customer service from them. they answered all my concerns and were johnny on the spot on fixing the flashes problems. They even offered me gas money n wage compensation for loss time driving up to there Shop. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Hondata
07-15-2003, 05:50 PM
siver-SI - We are working with various companies to determine the best boost upgrades for these ECUs.

03BlueEP3 - what are the specs on your engine. Is it a stock 160HP K20A2 EP3?

The reflashes we do for the K series ECU are for road and for race, but mainly for road. They are not user programmable. Our earlier B series systems are user programmable.

Could you explain what you mean by jumped?

Just for everyone's information, there are now 3 Honda race teams, two in Ohio and one in Germany using our K series program, so If Honda are working with us, we can't be as bad as you indicate.

My recent discussions with Tim from Cybernation didn't seem to indicate any problems whatsoever, however, please feel free to call me and discuss any issues you may have.

Doug

siver-SI
07-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the info about the Turbo upgrade ECU. That is why I am waiting for the upgrade since I do not want to pay twice for the ECU upgrade.

03BlueEP3
07-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Hondata
03BlueEP3 - what are the specs on your engine. Is it a stock 160HP K20A2 EP3?

The reflashes we do for the K series ECU are for road and for race, but mainly for road. They are not user programmable. Our earlier B series systems are user programmable.

Could you explain what you mean by jumped?

My recent discussions with Tim from Cybernation didn't seem to indicate any problems whatsoever, however, please feel free to call me and discuss any issues you may have.

Doug

Yes I have the basic K20 motor in my EP3 with 160. I have Buddy Club Spec III exhaust, HKS Intake and I am waiting for my Turbo Kit from Cybernation.

I am sorry for the mix up but it was haltech we were having a problem with. Please excuse me I had a MAJOR brain backfire!

2k2_nbp_egg
07-16-2003, 07:37 AM
Red hatch...? EK?

Anyway, you're saying that any k-series equipped with the hondata reflashed ECU (not piggyback systems for the b series like what it sounds like ur talking about) will not be able to be jumped if the battery is dead? That makes absolutely no sense how an ecu can prevent a battery from getting charged.......and I'm sorry to any of yall who really like them, but I trust cybernation and their dyno about as much as I can pick it up and throw it. They might make some decent products / setups, but holy shit....I'm suprised that such a shady ass company made it so big. Some guy was even claiming to be making a ferrari / F1 level of tq / liter on his type S with bolt ons, something else, and type R cams, and using his dyno from cybernation to back it up. Poor fucker went out to the track and was running mid 14s lol

03BlueEP3
07-16-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
Red hatch...? EK?

Anyway, you're saying that any k-series equipped with the hondata reflashed ECU (not piggyback systems for the b series like what it sounds like ur talking about) will not be able to be jumped if the battery is dead? That makes absolutely no sense how an ecu can prevent a battery from getting charged.......and I'm sorry to any of yall who really like them, but I trust cybernation and their dyno about as much as I can pick it up and throw it. They might make some decent products / setups, but holy shit....I'm suprised that such a shady ass company made it so big. Some guy was even claiming to be making a ferrari / F1 level of tq / liter on his type S with bolt ons, something else, and type R cams, and using his dyno from cybernation to back it up. Poor fucker went out to the track and was running mid 14s lol

Before you go blalbing you big mouth about shit you don't know what don't you do some reasearch and then come talk! How the hell is Cybernation shaddy? How about you keep your big mouth shut untill you get all your info str8!

SiMPLE_SiMON
07-16-2003, 11:24 AM
How about you post why a car with a Hondata reflash can't be jumped since you're the one who brought it up?

03BlueEP3
07-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Hey smart guy go look what I did to thoes post. It was a haltech that couldn't be jumped and it was a haltech that we were having problems with. Why don't you read things!

redronin22
07-16-2003, 01:31 PM
wow BIG BRAINFART HEHE. i woulda figured hytech to haltech but HONDATA-haltech.

thats a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch, lower the crack pipe... heres a peace pipe dude =-)

redronin22
07-16-2003, 01:33 PM

Before you go blalbing you big mouth about shit you don't know what don't you do some reasearch and then come talk! How the hell is Cybernation shaddy? How about you keep your big mouth shut untill you get all your info str8!

and before u go bad naming Hondata, FOLLOW YOUR OWN ADVICE. hehe

2k2_nbp_egg
07-16-2003, 01:35 PM

Well before I write an intricate ownage of your fucktard dumbass and pick on your OBVIOUS stupidity, I suggest that you actually read my post. I've seen multiple dyno charts from that place that just flat out off for multiple vehicles on multiple occasions, not to mention I've heard of a few problems with their kits cold starting, and idling. I'm not dissing their products, because those problems aren't too bad and I've heard good things about their customer service....I'm just saying their reputation is a little smudged....

See dAwG im not just being a str8 h8r....y0 :rolleyes:

*edit* I missed this little gem that you said

Hey smart guy go look what I did to thoes post. It was a haltech that couldn't be jumped and it was a haltech that we were having problems with. Why don't you read things!

LoL holy shit, fukin' pot calling the kettle black!!!!

fsugatorbait
07-17-2003, 08:25 AM
keep us posted on the Spoon ECU...it could be a nice alternative to Hondata.:)

SiRman
07-19-2003, 12:29 AM
If you want info on the Spoon ECU try contacting A&J Racing (http://www.aj-racing.com) .

MasterVTEC
07-19-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by redronin22

dude iono what ur talking about but i had awesome customer service from them. they answered all my concerns and were johnny on the spot on fixing the flashes problems. They even offered me gas money n wage compensation for loss time driving up to there Shop. Sorry to hear about your problems.

i got hondata flash, what kinda buggs did they have to fix right no the spot? i had mine sent in and back! so i dont know what buggs mine has, how do i find out if it has any?

redronin22
07-20-2003, 12:22 PM
i drove up to Hondata an they fixed it on the spot. =-)

siver-SI
07-21-2003, 06:17 PM
This is what I got back after e-mailing spoon.

Hi,
It is $650.00 for the unit. You do not need to send your ecu out. This is
going to be a piggy back unit. The big difference is that this is going to be a
plug in unit. No cutting, no splicing, no wiring. It simply plugs in to your
ecu inline with the harness. No other manufacturer does this. EP3 mapping is
still under works. Just to give you an example of the horsepower gains that we
are getting- Acura RSX type S: 26 hp @ the wheels. Let us know if you want more
info. Thanks

I like the no cutting part of the deal. Have to see what they get for numbers for the SI though.

MasterVTEC
07-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by redronin22
i drove up to Hondata an they fixed it on the spot. =-)

so they didnt tell you what buggs you got and what they fixed?

and if you did drive up to hondata where is it?

SerbiaSi
07-21-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI

Hi,
info. Thanks

I like the no cutting part of the deal. Have to see what they get for numbers for the SI though.

Now that is f****n' ECU program!!! :D and I almost got Hondata... forget that I am holding out for SPOON!!!

03BlueEP3
07-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by siver-SI

Hi,
info. Thanks

If you can e-mail them back and ask them what they are remaping. IE: Fuel, Timming, Ignition, V-TEC, etc.
-Thanks

MasterVTEC
07-22-2003, 03:34 PM
i think hondata is better for the k20 engine! but thats just me , I dont have a TYPE-S i only have K20a3 so i dont think spoon has one for the base model! but any ways maby it is good for the typeS but what about the K20a3? do they have a program for them?

siver-SI
07-22-2003, 04:40 PM

If you can e-mail them back and ask them what they are remaping. IE: Fuel, Timming, Ignition, V-TEC, etc.
-Thanks

All right did that. I also sent them a link to this discussion, and I invited them to post because we have the Hondata guy so why not a Spoon guy. When they do come out I will e-mail them and see if they will do a group buy maybe.

redronin22
07-22-2003, 09:10 PM
keep in mind kiddies that Hondata works much better on the k20a2. dream on if u think u will even get close to 20 whp. anyways i do like the idea of not having to send out your ecu. thats cool

that bugs for my car was running too rich, so they retarded the timing a few degrees.

siver-SI
07-22-2003, 09:14 PM
I am thinking what harm can it do to look and see what happens. I want to see their numbers and go from their. That is why I invited them to please post like Hondata does. That way we can get are question's anwered.

redronin22
07-24-2003, 07:04 AM
still no word from the Spoon people....?

02HatchSI
09-14-2003, 09:28 PM
ANy word when spoon is going to release this???

rs_1101
09-15-2003, 05:31 PM
cmon spoon... cmon..