PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer accuracy?

punkdork
06-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Hey guys, I was drivin on the highway last night with my GF in her Golf behind me. I was hanging out around 65-70 the whole time. Maybe cresting 75 once. After a while she started dropping back.

When we got home I asked her why she didn't keep up. She said she didn't want to be going that fast and said I was like 75-80 the whole time.

What's up? Is her speedo slow and ours fast? Anyone done anything to check how accurate our speedos are at speed?

I realize they aren't supposed to be 100% accurate but it seems like a large gap.

SpacemanSpiff
06-21-2002, 12:17 PM
I haven't checked mine out, but I'll compare it w/ my wife's golf and report back in the next few days.
I seem to remember reading somewhere not too long ago that some european speedometers may overstate your actual speed a little. Something to do with the laws in europe being very strict on speedometers that understate the speed, so the manufacturers tend to err on the high side. I'll try to find that article.
In the initial vtec.net review of the Si, they did confirm using a GPS that the speedometer was accurate at 50 and at 80mph.
So my wild guess is that yours is right and the VW's is high.

SpacemanSpiff
06-21-2002, 12:29 PM
Here is the article from Car&Driver. Apparently Domestics are more accurate than Japanese brands, which are more accurate than European brands.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2002/april/200204_feature_speedometer.xml

punkdork
06-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Awesome. Thanks!

02TafWhtSi
06-21-2002, 03:51 PM
I thought mine was off too - reading faster than I was going. I checked the exact distance (12 mi) with my mom's 99' camry and mine was under by .10 of a mile - so no real world problem. I guess these Si's are so well put together its getting harder and harder to feel higher speeds! Sweet!