PDA

View Full Version : ephatch recall list

dw735
07-14-2003, 01:02 PM
I thought it would be nice to have a list that common people are having. Maybe a sticky? this list should be simple, no replys.

1) Problem-Creaking sound when drepressing the clutch pedal
Solution-Take it to the dealer and fix under warranty. Clutch master cylinder is the most common problem

2) Problem-Window doesn't roll up or down anymore
Solution-The window got off track between the weather stipping.
Take the door panel off, adjust the bolts to slide it back into place.

3) Problem-Water gets in the spare tire well.
Solution- The problem might be coming in from the tailight. Take it to the dealer.

4)Problem-A little black piece that looks like an "E" is found in the interior of the car, mainly in the back seat floor.
Solution-It came off the end of the seat rail. A person's shoe can easily take it off when exiting. Push seat back where the rail sticks out, and stick it back in.

5)Problem-Car would not start, keeps turning over.
Solution-It could be a voltage drop somewhere. A dealer usually has the tool to check it out. Also maybe a bad ground wire.

blueiedgod
07-14-2003, 02:47 PM
1. Door handle broke - take to dealr to fix under warranty
2. Excessive oil consumption -- keep an eye on oil, keep a log, take to honda every 1000 miles for oil consumtion readings. Should stop by 10K. Mine hasn't stopped yet.
3. Center vent got stuck in "blow to the right" position - replaced under warranty

Endless_EP
07-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Hi dw735: This list acutally helps alot. I am just wondering do you know any rattlin noise comin out from the center air vent. thanks...

SinisterCivicSi
07-14-2003, 09:22 PM
my 02 ep: excessive oil consumption. oil light came on at 3750 miles. towed to dealer. had 2.1 in crank case. reported to honda and continued oil consumption test. car was averaging 1 qt. per 1300-1500 miles. as per dealer "consumption is way more than civic should be but less than s2000 engine". service writer told me his "mechanics" thought i was "doggin the shit outta this car because of my decals". told writer "if your mechanics saw a nascar decal, would they think the same?" he didnt have an answer. (WTF!)
continued oil consumption tests. every time car was quart low i would bring in to dealer to recor miles and call american honda. i stayed on the mgr's ass. Also wrote formal letter to american honda stating problems, copies of receipts with notes, and stated federal maryland lemon laws that protected me.
finally at 16,900 miles they called my car in per american honda. opened the engine and found a scored cylinder. replaced short block under warranty. work too a month to do because the part wasnt sent out right away. all rental car fees paid for under honda. investigating why cylinder was "scored". mind you the ENTIRE time american honda and the service writer told me "this car is within manufactur specification for oil consumption". i asked him, if i go on a trip to florida, how many quarts should i bring in order to make the trip safely?? also told him that was bullshit and this wasnt a ford. if its within specs, why do you continue to do oil consumption tests and documenting everything?? corporate coverup.

SinisterCivicSi
07-14-2003, 09:23 PM
oh and passenger headlight got condensation in it, dealer replaced with no questions asked.

SiR Medic
07-15-2003, 04:36 AM
Driver's side door switch stopped working, preventing the dome light from coming on, key chime sounding, etc.

Fixed by dealer under warrantee. Given loaner car for the afternoon it was in the shop.

dw735
07-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Problem-Rattlin noise inside door panel when hitting bumps or too much bass from stereo.
Solution-If you take the door panel off, there is a black foam piece that can rattle really bad. That was the cause of the excessive rattle from driving. the foam piece is on the outer side of the glass. Raise window up and feel if the piece is loose. i just stuck some tissue between the piece, but rattle came back and I am too lazy to take off the door panel.

Problem-The check engine light comes on at 8000 miles, or 10000(sorry cant remember).
Solution-the car is telling you it is time to be serviced. Look into the manual and it will tell you how to make the light stop flashing. Very simple process. If light shows up again, try the procedure again, otherwise take to dealer to make sure it is not something else.

Problem-The emergency brake lever feels very very weak and have to yank the crap out to hold the car.
Solution-The ep's brake handle gots to be yanked hard, otherwise it will start rolling. But if it has that play where it is not pulling on the cable, take the center panel off by the screws. I cant remember how many but just take the screws off. Now there are bolts that could have gotten lose. Do not overtighten the bolts. Just screw until you dont have that play anymore. Very common problem among ep's.

SinisterCivicSi
07-15-2003, 01:22 PM
dw some of the stuff your listing is really trivial, maybe this should be reserved for more warranty issue stuff.....just my 2 cents

DownTheHatch
07-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Driver's side air vent won't stay aimed, keeps pointing down.

TheMutt
07-15-2003, 04:25 PM
A big problem that seems to be going aroung right now:
Something might have gone wrong at the plant because I'm pretty sure our car was meant to have 6 gears and about 60 more horsepower. :mad:

dw735 - I thought the light was supposed to come on as a reminder to take your car for its first service??? I dunno you fixed the problem you'd know better than me.

It seems to me like a lot of these problems are minor, and perhaps fairly isolated to a few of the Ep owners. What about problems with our tranny, I thought more people would be rambling on about that :D

dw735
07-15-2003, 05:34 PM
oh yeah, some arent recall, but jsut stuff to add. yeah some are trivial, but them if someone searches this, they would have some idea where things might have gone wrong, or what others are having the same problem.

dw735
07-15-2003, 05:37 PM
the only thing i can think about the tranny is the clutch master cylinder. Other than that, I really have not experienced or heard many stories of people actually changing their trannys. I hear that if feels notchy and all, or it grinds sometimes. But all honda says it is suppose to be like that. just my 2 cents

Mugen Power
07-16-2003, 12:43 PM
According to one dealer I took the car to, they said the notchy shifter is supposed to be like that at first until "it gets used to my driving style." Right... That was at about 2500 miles, they didn't even look at the tranny.

I took it into another dealer at about 7200 miles. A few of their guys test drove it and couldn't find any problems, said it felt fine. When I drove it with them in the car, the darn thing felt pretty smooth, wtf... BUT, the car was roasting in the lot AND the highway I took it out on was packed so I couldn't really bring up the revs, which is when it happens the most. All in all, they said it's fine and suggested that it might be my own doing, i.e. not stepping on the clutch all the way, driving/shifting too fast (but aren't the synchros there to make it smooth anyway?! They didn't answer). Yada, yada, yada... they didn't see fit to take it apart.

Long story short, I think I'll just have to learn to accept the fact that this is just how the car was designed to be (read: flawed). Sucky thing is that when it goes in smooth, you don't feel a thing, like a hot knife through butter. Otherwise, it's like crushing ice.

vb2k2si
07-17-2003, 09:13 PM
1. everyone start listenin to your wheels when you coast I've got MY EP and 3 other buddies that have had bad wheel bearings all at about 9k miles all warranty.

2.rear speakers with loose screws that like to rattle me and one other EP

3.water in the headlight just had done yesterday no word yet on anyone else that I know

Seriously listen carefully if you start hearing a sound from the wheels that sound to close to a skateboard take it in!