PDA

View Full Version : Dyno's K24 swap in EP3

SiK24
07-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Here are the dyno's of my fiance's 2003 Civic Si w/ K24 swap w/ stock K24 head. Current mods: AEM cold air intake, DC Sports header, 2.5" custom b-pipe, 2.25" Thermal R&D exhaust, 16X7 hyperblack wheels and Eibach sportline springs.

Coming in the next couple of weeks:

Custom racing intake manifold by hondaracingengines.com
reground Si cams by EF-1.com
Carbon Fiber hood and front spoiler

Silver Bullet
07-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Hey where did you buy the motor. How much was the long block. What did you do about the PCM. What did you do about the exhaust downpipe lenth, do to the taller engine blck?

SiK24
07-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Sorry had to resize the pics.

SiK24
07-14-2003, 04:21 PM
more dyno sheets...

02SilverSiHB
07-14-2003, 04:43 PM
wow! Maybe I should just swap that in. I wouldn't mind having that torque for autox

Jodster
07-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Nice to see people are trying different things!!:D

SiK24
07-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Got the motor from Tennesse, I think East Side motors (not sure off the top of my head). $1350 w/ shipment. Fitment wasn't bad, basically the same as the Si, just had to use one of the CR-V mounts to make up for the height. Other than that, everything fit up. Si intake and exhaust manifold. Exhaust was a little tight, would hit the heat shield only after hard shifts. Started on a Friday night and finished Sunday afternoon. The car had 600 miles and the motor had 2000. After we finished, turned the car on, no codes, no problems. Waited to do any mods until after the first oil change (about 4000miles with 2.4 motor). No problems yet, had Honda do the oil change and change out a headlight. They didn't notice a thing. Looks like it was always there.

As far as performance, shortly after the swap (in stock form) we ran into a Si w/ intake and had no problem pulling from it. From there, the motor is taking to mods very favorably. It still has the smaller CR-V cams in it. We sent the Si's out to get reground for even more power (hopefully). Between the cams and the racing intake manifold, I hope to see some good numbers.

Suspension is our problem right now. It is our main focus next.

SiK24
07-14-2003, 06:21 PM
Here are some pictures of the car. Notice it looks stock and no check engine light.

SiK24
07-14-2003, 06:22 PM
more...

SiK24
07-14-2003, 06:24 PM
more pics...

02SilverSiHB
07-14-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by SiK24
Got the motor from Tennesse, I think East Side motors (not sure off the top of my head). $1350 w/ shipment. Fitment wasn't bad, basically the same as the Si, just had to use one of the CR-V mounts to make up for the height. Other than that, everything fit up. Si intake and exhaust manifold. Exhaust was a little tight, would hit the heat shield only after hard shifts. Started on a Friday night and finished Sunday afternoon. The car had 600 miles and the motor had 2000. After we finished, turned the car on, no codes, no problems. Waited to do any mods until after the first oil change (about 4000miles with 2.4 motor). No problems yet, had Honda do the oil change and change out a headlight. They didn't notice a thing. Looks like it was always there.

As far as performance, shortly after the swap (in stock form) we ran into a Si w/ intake and had no problem pulling from it. From there, the motor is taking to mods very favorably. It still has the smaller CR-V cams in it. We sent the Si's out to get reground for even more power (hopefully). Between the cams and the racing intake manifold, I hope to see some good numbers.

Suspension is our problem right now. It is our main focus next.
wow. This sounds good. So you just did the motor and not the tranny? The si tranny bolts right up to the CRV motor? Also are you using the stock si ecu? I think I would love to have this motor! :D You only paid 1350 for that motor!? awsome!

02SilverSiHB
07-14-2003, 06:37 PM
oh, and is there any modification for the electric power steering with the CRV motor?
Sorry for all the questions

siver-SI
07-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Ok more questions. I am liking this swap for the money. Is the engine heavier? What is your 1/4 mile time? Can it fit a Turbo or SC? Does the trany meet up nice and easy?

Thanks for any anwers on all of that.

SiK24
07-14-2003, 07:29 PM
We are using the stock Si ecu, Si tranny, etc. We didn't have to do anything to the power steering, or modify anything actually. The tranny fit with no problems, and according to some road course racers, the 5spd is the better transmission (at least for road racing). Besides, its a lot cheaper that way. Let's be realistic, until someone shows me differently, the K24 motor is making better power gains than the a3 and keeping up with the a2. For about $2000, you could have alot bigger motor and more potential. You could always add the type s head later.

There should be no problem putting a turbo on, and I would think not on the supercharger, but Im not sure.

siver-SI
07-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks. Now the big question how did you find a motor that cheap? Know you have me thinking instead of a lot of down time with my car doing a turbo I could just get that motor and build it up in my spare time and have one hell of an EP.

02SilverSiHB
07-14-2003, 07:52 PM
We are using the stock Si ecu, Si tranny, etc. We didn't have to do anything to the power steering, or modify anything actually. The tranny fit with no problems, and according to some road course racers, the 5spd is the better transmission (at least for road racing). Besides, its a lot cheaper that way. Let's be realistic, until someone shows me differently, the K24 motor is making better power gains than the a3 and keeping up with the a2. For about $2000, you could have alot bigger motor and more potential. You could always add the type s head later.

There should be no problem putting a turbo on, and I would think not on the supercharger, but Im not sure.
thanks and I agree with what you said.

Makross
07-14-2003, 07:54 PM
ay whats up man!? i met you last time at ballantyne you asked me to race but i already knew what you had in stored for me :eek: nice ride btw:p

SiK24
07-14-2003, 07:56 PM
Thats what I am hoping for. I think there is alot of possibility with this motor. I am really curious to see how the Si cams do. The truck cams definately seem to fall off at the end where the Si's don't (from what I have seen from other dyno charts). And that you already have. We chose to send them off for that extra little bit. After that and the intake manifold, we will really need the extra revs from hondata and maybe a safc to do a little tuning.

Should have some track times soon. (couple of weeks)

SiK24
07-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Makross
ay whats up man!? i met you last time at ballantyne you asked me to race but i already knew what you had in stored for me :eek: nice ride btw:p

My fiance says thank you. You came out with the evo???right

Makross
07-14-2003, 07:58 PM
yeah that was me my fault slap a k20a2 head and call it a day

ssvr6
07-14-2003, 08:45 PM
Did you take pictures of the swap process?

Steve

SiK24
07-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Yes, but they're on someone elses camera. They should still have them. I'll check tomorrow. It's interesting you asked that. Cause it was said the swap couldn't be done without a lift. Not true!!! This swap was done in a garage on really big jack stands with an engine hoist. The only hard part is getting the crank case pully off. Takes 200lb/ft of force (or two guys standing on one side with a long crow bar w/ an extension and one guy jumping on the other side w/ a really strong wrench and a pipe as an extra extension). Lesson learned, don't wait until 2:00am on Sat night to take the crank case pully off.

siver-SI
07-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Takes 200lb/ft of force (or two guys standing on one side with a long crow bar w/ an extension and one guy jumping on the other side w/ a really strong wrench and a pipe as an extra extension). Lesson learned, don't wait until 2:00am on Sat night to take the crank case pully off.

Been there done that with other parts of my car that early in the morning. That is why I want to make sure when I do a job I have an extra day so I do not kill my self but I still do even though I did have an extra day I just did not want to use it.

BTW with the Pully can that not be pulled off with a puller? I know on my other Hondas I used a puller and my 1/2 wrench with a pipe at the end to get it so I stuck out of the engine compartment so I has some leverage and I got it to pop.

SiK24
07-14-2003, 09:17 PM
There is a tool for it, but we didn't have it at the time and it was 2:00am. Won't make that mistake twice.

siver-SI
07-15-2003, 06:45 PM
I am the tool nut so I have over kill going right now. That is what happens when you work at Snap-On and they give you a credit limit with no interest and a nice discount. Yea but having the right tool makes such a diffrence. Can not wait to hear more about your mod there.

SiK24
07-16-2003, 06:30 AM
I will continue to update as the mods grow bigger.

tgrasshopper
08-08-2003, 07:09 AM
k nice, nice , nice I love that.

But i'm not shure if I understant.
You said you only need a moteur mounth and the k24 moteur.
that sound realy good.

Could you use only the base of the k24 and head of si??

What is your red line wright now 6800??

Do you konw how mutch compresion you have?

BlackJDMep
08-13-2003, 02:40 PM
Dude, good info... keep us posted!:D

SiK24
08-19-2003, 08:08 PM
The motor mount isn't a big deal, since it comes with the K24 motor. Off the top of my head the compression is 9.7 instead of 9.8. The redline is 6800, but according to the ef-1.com who is grinding our cams, all the K series motors can handle a good bit of revs. As for using the Si head, you would lose power. The two heads are basically the same, just the K24 has bigger intake and exhaust ports than the Si.

Sorry for no new dyno's. Had some personal things come up, but everything should be calming down now and I can get on with business.

BISDAK-R
09-05-2003, 05:22 PM
this sounds really good... i just have a couple of questions. if i were to go to a junk yard and they have a CRV in the lot what actually do i need from that CRV to succesfully do the swap? i've searched the web on instructions on k24 swap for the Si but i haven't found anything...if you guys have any info i would appreciate it. thanks

EP3racer
09-06-2003, 07:53 PM
That tight man. i might considering to do the same thing. props to u ofcouse. I just had a couble of questions: would any engine mod make for the Si fit with the K24 like intake and exhaust and header? Or do u have to modified it to fit? What intake and header r ing ur car right now and was car was it meant for??
Thanks

SiK24
09-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Everything you buy for the Si should fit just fine on the K24 motor. Remember, they are basically the same motor, just the K24 is slightly taller.

New Dyno Numbers:

I/H/E/B-pipe

170hp and 150ft/lbs

I/H/E/B-pipe/65 shot

225hp and 246ft/lbs

I will post the actual dynos as soon as I can. We opened the restaurant a couple of weeks ago, so time isn't exactly abundant.

02SilverSiHB
09-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Everything you buy for the Si should fit just fine on the K24 motor. Remember, they are basically the same motor, just the K24 is slightly taller.

New Dyno Numbers:

I/H/E/B-pipe

170hp and 150ft/lbs

I/H/E/B-pipe/65 shot

225hp and 246ft/lbs

I will post the actual dynos as soon as I can. We opened the restaurant a couple of weeks ago, so time isn't exactly abundant.
damn, went nuts in torque from that n2o

DownTheHatch
09-18-2003, 09:51 AM
When are you going to get the cams back and install them?

SiK24
09-19-2003, 08:51 PM
To be completely honest, I expected them a long time ago, but since they are sponsoring them, I'm not worrying about it. I did hear back from the guy today though. They were finished and ready to ship, but after some testing he thought there should be a little more duration, so he sent them back to the grinder.

Ohh well, Im sure it will be worth the wait.

2k2_nbp_egg
10-07-2003, 08:19 PM
What are you gonna do about the ecu? Can you send it into hondata to get a custom flash or something like that? I was just wondering, b/c i'm really contemplating this swap and my main concerns are aftermarket ecu tunning and gearing. What's the redline at rite now, and what mph are you at when you redline it? My plans were to pair the k24 up to the type S 6 speed....

Joey Ballz Si
11-06-2003, 07:46 AM
planning k24 type s swap in ep, am i gonna need any special parts to make this baby run smooth and nasty or is it gonna be easy like bolting in and drivin away???? also anyone know where i can get pistons rods and other goodies for this swap?????

SiK24
11-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Joey Ballz Si
planning k24 type s swap in ep, am i gonna need any special parts to make this baby run smooth and nasty or is it gonna be easy like bolting in and drivin away???? also anyone know where i can get pistons rods and other goodies for this swap?????

This is Kareem, one of the guys that helped do the swap.

If I were you, I would just get a TSX motor. Save yourself sometime and money and have a better motor to start with. Call around to a few junkyards and see if anyone has a motor.

Joey Ballz Si
11-06-2003, 09:00 PM
thanks kareem for replying but if im gonna do this swap im gonna go all out. the tsx head is crap and i already have the block from the crv and the head from a type s

Ocelaris
11-14-2003, 08:19 PM
CRV Ivtec engine 1600$ shipped :-)

GROSS... I want I want

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=2442822604

So the only downside I've seen so far as to the K24 swap was someone said something about the longer bore not liking the higher revs?

Anyone in the mid-atlantic area, for that matter east coast doing the swap want some help doing their swap? I can lift heavy things and fetch beer :-)

SiK24
11-27-2003, 11:22 AM
Exactly who said the TSX head was crap and wouldn't you rather the higher compression TSX motor than the CR-V's 9.7. And the last time I checked, the TSX motor was putting 10hp more than a RSX motor. And I'm willing to bet the rods in the TSX are stronger as well.

02SilverSiHB
11-27-2003, 11:26 AM
Exactly who said the TSX head was crap and wouldn't you rather the higher compression TSX motor than the CR-V's 9.7. And the last time I checked, the TSX motor was putting 10hp more than a RSX motor. And I'm willing to bet the rods in the TSX are stronger as well.
I'm wondering why people are saying it's crap also, I hear the same shit all over the net. RSX guys saying it, even TSX guys talking about swaping out for the type s head....weird

fsugatorbait
12-01-2003, 01:43 PM
And the last time I checked, the TSX motor was putting 10hp more than a RSX motor. And I'm willing to bet the rods in the TSX are stronger as well.

you forget that your comparing a 2.4L engine to a 2.0L engine and claiming that a 10 hp gain is good. Im not an expert on the difference between the TSX and RSX-S head, but your quote of the HP difference between the two tells the whole story.

MyBlkSI
12-09-2003, 01:41 PM
I can't say much about the tsx head because i haven't seen much about it, but the tsx crank has to be way more balanced than the CR-V motor, and if you want high revs and efficient power the crank is (besides valve springs maybe) the most crucial part.... i don't know why but alot of people over look the importace of the crank

Joey Ballz Si
12-09-2003, 05:35 PM
It's not to even say that the crank is over looked when doing a swap of this matter you can't over look many things. In this case the crank is just rarely mentioned. My crank is going to be balanced for my specific ap.

Ep_Hatch 03
12-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Thats Bad Ass

siver-SI
12-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Any word on what I would have to do to the bottom end of the motor to hold up for a turbo. I would think the longer stroke would be a killer to the crank and rods. I am thinking K24 block with a A2 head for my setup and then what would be a stage II turbo so I would have cams, rods (if they will make for a K24), and I think some bottom end parts.

I just want to have a car that in summer I can drive daily and then just put her up in my shop in winter and do some driving with a nice 4x4 that I want to get soon. I want the car to be able to be a daily driver and not have to worry about taking a long road trip.

Most-Wanted
01-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Nice work. I'm impressed with how stock it looks. That has got to be fun. Keep us posted on the updates.

SiK24
01-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately it had an encounter with a median, so now it has the same wheels but 17's. I was afraid they might look too big, but they actually look much better. I know I've said the cams would have been on a long time ago, but me and my fiance seperated and I haven't had much time to bother nor did I really want to work on her car, seeing I already wasted $6k on it. But Im gonna be a gentleman and put them on, mainly so I can have on last horra with it. Should have some news about them in the next couple weeks.

Thanks every one for the support!!! After this I will be done with the car, wish I could finished all my plans for the car, but its been fun.

SiGuy
01-08-2004, 02:56 PM
You think those guys in Tennesee can get a A2 head? I'm just a hillbilly toss away in GA.

SiK24
01-18-2004, 02:16 AM
Im sure!

SiGuy
01-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Too bad about your girl, that sucks. Any way you could tell me how to get in touch with the guys in TN. Any idea how much the A2 head and ecu would cost? I'm dying to get one. Thanks in advance.

SiK24
01-21-2004, 12:41 AM
My guess, and only a guess since I really haven't looked for one, would be around $1000 (maybe even less). But you don't need nor want the type S computer. If you change out the computer, you will have to take it to the dealer and have it reset which could lead to them finding out what you did. Besides, all you have to do is get the Hondata reflash for a type S, which will be even better than the type s Computer.

Joey Ballz Si
01-21-2004, 10:10 AM
I got a used type s head for 400$, it was hard to find. I alsp heard that a dealer would ask about 4,000$ for it from the factory.

SiK24
01-29-2004, 04:36 PM
About the cams, they are out of my hand. I tried to work it all out, but it was taking too much effort and Im just handing them over to her. Hopefully she will get them on soon and if possible I will get the dyno sheets from her. Im really disapointed, I was excited to see what they did. Ohhh well, hopefully she will step up to the plate and take it from here.

PAPITUYO326
02-12-2004, 08:38 PM
anybody have the dyno results from this...the pics are gone!!

SiK24
02-13-2004, 02:34 AM
Not sure what happened to the pics, but the results are as follows:

On the bottle: 220 whp and 245 lb/ft
All Motor: 170 whp and 150 lb/ft

PAPITUYO326
07-05-2004, 12:18 PM
any updates?