PDA

View Full Version : Bypass undoing the tie rod...

Ty's Si
07-14-2003, 07:50 PM
Well a friend and I finally installed my coilovers yesterday. It took a good part of the day to finish.

We took apart the whole assembly on the front driver side like the tutorials explain. But when we did the other side we decided to skip the part where you separate the tie rod from the strut. We were able to just drop the spring/strut assembly to the side and slide the stocks off and put the coilovers on without undoing the tie rod. In doing this, you avoid stripping the threads on the 17mm bolt, rupturing the rubber boot and save time putting that part back together.

Just figured I would share. I hadn't seen or heard of anyone bypassing this part, so I took a few (crappy) pics to show what I mean.

Hope this can help save someone some time and a headache.

Ty's Si
07-14-2003, 07:51 PM

Ty's Si
07-14-2003, 07:52 PM

Ty's Si
07-14-2003, 07:54 PM

fishboy
07-15-2003, 09:31 AM
i wouldn't have just let it hang there like that i would have supported it with something at least. anyways some people have trouble getting the tie-rod off of the strut as it is so some people have used a spring compressor to do what you have done.

NamingException
07-15-2003, 10:07 AM
Ugh, I wouldn't have done that. It took me all of five seconds to safely pop the tie rod out with an arm puller. I'll do the same next time.

It would be much easier to work on the strut after you actually remove it from the car.

02SilverSiHB
07-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by NamingException
Ugh, I wouldn't have done that. It took me all of five seconds to safely pop the tie rod out with an arm puller. I'll do the same next time.

It would be much easier to work on the strut after you actually remove it from the car.
ditto, it was a pain doing like it. Last time I tried, I just used a hammer and mallet. Just lightly hammer down on the arm that goes to the tie bar bolt. I also used some wd40. This was done on djsolutions ride with his friend helping out also.