PDA

View Full Version : 2004 civic si

ry4nj
07-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know any information on the 2004 civic si? I hear some people saying its going to be the Type-R and if that is true ill proboly cry.. but anyways do you think it will be much better than the 2003 si?

TheMutt
07-15-2003, 03:22 PM
I think changes for the 2004 have alredy been released, but I'm not sure. I'd try a !!search!! , and check the Rumor forum for info on the Type R, but if things stay the same I'm doubtful we'll ever have a CTR over here :'(

fkagti
07-15-2003, 03:47 PM
snowball's chance in hell that the 2004 si will be the type-r. If it was, everyone on this site would have already sold or be trying to sell their si's. I guess what i'm sayin is, if the type-r were coming here for the 2004 si, we'd definately already know about it. there's always next year:( :sigh:

spydur
07-16-2003, 04:51 AM
ry4nj:

This is the best info source that I have been able to find on the 2004 Si's: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/news/hondapreview.htm

It looks like revised headlights and taillights are the principal changes for 2004.

George Knighton
07-16-2003, 07:45 AM
The '04 Civic informaiton has already been released to dealers, and there's no CTR or 200 HP motor in the material.

Honda could make revisions as late as August and still call it an '04 model, however. So I guess it's still possible, but chances are pretty slim.

We also have that nagging agreement last year, under the terms of which Honda can market a USDM car that potentially competes with the USDM Acura RSX-S.

No idea why they'd make sure they had that right if they weren't going to introduce the CTR in some guise.

Does anyone know the details of the "freshened" appearance of the '04 EP3?

redronin22
07-16-2003, 07:59 AM
IMO its gonna be the kit that we've seen along with slightly different headlights and a new shift knob. Maybe some different gauges. guess we'll find out in a few months

fishboy
07-16-2003, 08:54 AM
i'm thinking different grill and hopefully a smoked chrome headlight.:D so we don't have to pay the outrageous prices for the "jdm" one. wait anybody know how much headlights cost from a dealer?

S800Racer
07-16-2003, 09:40 AM
"CTR in the US" - the rumour that refuses to die!

IT WON'T HAPPEN!! GIVE IT UP!

Just look at Honda's product line-up and look at where they make money:
Money makers:
Accord
Oddysey/Pilot
Civic (EK not EP)
NOT money makers:
Insight - shows off Honda's Hybrid technology
S2000 - shows off Honda's performance capability
Civic Si - gives a sporty image to the Civic line-up.

When you consider how much $ Honda makes on their bread & butter cars, you see they have no incentive to make the effort to bring the CTR to the US. Bringing the CTR over will not turn the Civic Si or the CTR into a money maker for Honda. Another reason they don't want to do it is that it would complicate things for their "upscale" brand (Honda and Acura are owned by the same folks). It really does not make a lot of sense to market a 200hp Civic Si HB across the street from the 200hp RSX-S HB.

But don't cry just because there probably will not be a US CTR. Just do what I am doing and make your own! Swap in the 200hp K20A2 and smile all the way to the 8000 rpm redline:D

red-sir
07-16-2003, 12:34 PM
our car isn't all that bad comparing to the type-R, at least we got power sun roof, heated mirror, better gas-milege, and since our car isn't that fast, a big-ass woofer box in the trunk. I love my car, it gets way more attention on the street than some cars that cost a whole lot more, and it suites me perfectly(26). The only things I wish the sir have is a 6th gear for the hwy and better tires for the rain & show. By 2004, ep3 would be too played out and most people wouldn't care that much more if you drive a almost identical looking hatch that they've been seeing for 2years, except for the Honda-enthuists of course. It's sort of like that for the ITR, doesn't move me when I see one. at least it's like that here in Van. I

TrippZ
07-16-2003, 01:46 PM
if it came with new headlights and a grill, I'll be getting new headlights and a grill soon! :)

IceD out N CALI
07-16-2003, 01:51 PM
going to be pretty much the same as the current one

hopeful_si
07-16-2003, 09:55 PM
Guys, don't give up on the CTR. I've heard from some very reliable sources that we are going to get it. I'm not promising anything but I would atleast be hopeful

spydur
07-17-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by hopeful_si
Guys, don't give up on the CTR. I've heard from some very reliable sources that we are going to get it. I'm not promising anything but I would atleast be hopeful

Can you expand upon this statement?

cbecker333
07-17-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by red-sir
The only things I wish the sir have is a 6th gear for the hwy

This has come up before...just wanted to mention that 6th gear in the rsx-s 6 speed tranny has the same ratio as our 5th gear. That means there wouldn't be any efficiency gains (on the highway) as a result of having that 6th gear. The real difference is that you have more choices when moving through the gears and its easier to get the right amount of power in different situations.

Unless you are travelling at 80+, this car is already hella efficient on the highway.....I got 36mpg with the A/C on

SinisterCivicSi
07-17-2003, 06:04 AM
this dam rumor is like elvis sightings......we all know both arent gonna happen - LET IT R.I.P.

and yeah the "search" button works wonders

Mezri
07-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Yes the 6th gear in the RSX is the same as our 5th gear, but the RSX has a different final drive ratio. Thats where the gains come from. The RSX does have an advantage on the highway, just check the rpms when doing 80 in both cars and you will see.

Oh and the person who said do under 80 and get good mileage...

I get 27ish mpg all the time, but on a recent trip was very disappointed with the mileage if I spent any considerable amount of time in 90-95 range. Dipped close to 20 mpg on one stint, then spent a while at 75 and it almost killed me, felt like I was crawling! Did get close to 35 mpg with the AC on, but jeez whats the point??? :)

cbecker333
07-17-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Mezri
Yes the 6th gear in the RSX is the same as our 5th gear, but the RSX has a different final drive ratio. Thats where the gains come from. The RSX does have an advantage on the highway, just check the rpms when doing 80 in both cars and you will see.

So...I read the first spec sheet below and assumed that we had the same 5 speed manual as the base RSX - that was the basis for my statement about the 5 speed vs. 6 speed. Well, it turns out that the 5 speed in the RSX base (as well as the 6 speed typeS) has a final drive of about 4.3, while the Si has a final drive of about 4.7

I stand corrected!

http://www.acura.com/models/model_specs_index.asp?module=rsx

http://www.hondacars.com/images/banners/2003/civic_si/civic_si_factsheet.pdf

S800Racer
07-17-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by cbecker333

This has come up before...just wanted to mention that 6th gear in the rsx-s 6 speed tranny has the same ratio as our 5th gear.

Not Exactly. The RSX-S has a theoretical top speed of 180.5 mph in 6th gear at 8000rpm. That works out to roughly 22.6 mph/1000rpm in top gear. The Civic Si has is at 139.3mph at 6800 in 5th gear or 20.5mph/1000rpm in top gear.

So at 70mph, the six speed gives you 3100rpm in top gear as opposed to 3400rpm for 70 mph in top for the five speed.

Aside from the cruising gear, the 6-speed offers shorter ratios for 2,3,4 & 5th gear so it will make an A3 faster just by having the shorter gears.

Surprise
07-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by S800Racer

Not Exactly. The RSX-S has a theoretical top speed of 180.5 mph in 6th gear at 8000rpm. That works out to roughly 22.6 mph/1000rpm in top gear. The Civic Si has is at 139.3mph at 6800 in 5th gear or 20.5mph/1000rpm in top gear.

No exactly. The 6th gear ratio of the type-s is the same ratio as our 5th gear, 0.738:1 . But the final drive ratio is different, 4.389 for the type-s, and 4.764:1 for us. So it is not the "6th gear" that drops the rpm but it is the shorter axle ratio.

Civic Si
Gear Ratios
1 : 3.062:1
2 : 1.769:1
3 : 1.212:1
4 : 0.921:1
5 : 0.738:1

Final drive : 4.764:1

RSX Type-S
Gear Ratios
1 : 3.266:1
2 : 2.130:1
3 : 1.517:1
4 : 1.147:1
5 : 0.921:1
6 : 0.738:1
Final drive : 4.388:1

cbecker333
07-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Surprise

So it is not the "6th gear" that drops the rpm but it is the shorter axle ratio.

well said. I agree

zerofighter
07-18-2003, 07:28 PM
i work at a honda dealer and the only thing that is for certain is that the 2004 si will have 16 inch wheels

Surprise
07-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by zerofighter
i work at a honda dealer and the only thing that is for certain is that the 2004 si will have 16 inch wheels

<--Crossing fingers hoping the wheel will be from the Civic FP package.

http://webpages.charter.net/surprise/typer33.jpg

spydur
07-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by George Knighton

We also have that nagging agreement last year, under the terms of which Honda can market a USDM car that potentially competes with the USDM Acura RSX-S.

No idea why they'd make sure they had that right if they weren't going to introduce the CTR in some guise.

GEORGE:

CAN YOU EXPAND UPON YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT THE AGREEMENT WHEREBY HONDA CAN MARKET A USDM CAR THAT POTENTIALLY COMPETES WITH THE USDM ACURA RSX-S?

George Knighton
07-19-2003, 08:55 AM
I don't know how else to talk about it.

Honda has permission to market a car that might potentially compete with the RSX-S.

Everybody jumped on it at the time as a sign that there would be a 200 HP EP3, perhaps with an FP kit.

Since the dealer literature has already been distributed, it's looking highly doubtful.

JruSi02
07-19-2003, 03:59 PM
well everyone already knows that the si comes out for 2 years and then gets revised and comes out again... when i was at my local honda dealership they told me the 04 si is not going to be a hatch, they are hoping to increase sales because they saw the 99-00 si was so much more popular... and this is probably old news but because of the lack of modifiability or wutever with this gen civic's, honda has gotten crap for it and their new civics comming out including the 04 si's and the re-done 05 civics will have much more modifying potential

IceD out N CALI
07-19-2003, 04:58 PM
if the ep goes on sale for next year (which looks like it will) then it will be the same. If anything just minor changes.

HgSi
07-20-2003, 02:19 AM
Dammit! Looks like I was too late checking out the link near the beginning of the thread:

2004 Honda Preview Notice
7/18/03 4:40pm EST

I regret to inform you that we will no longer be able to provide the public with upcoming model information until warranted by the manufacturer. I apologize to our regular web site visitors.

Paul Pacek
paul@collegehillshonda.com

Someone said the taillights will be different. Different how? Did it say? Will they be CTR taillights? (Haha, yeah right... I wish)

spydur
07-20-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by HgSi
Dammit! Looks like I was too late checking out the link near the beginning of the thread:

VERY INTERESTING! I WONDER WHY COLLEGE HILLS HONDA WAS ORDERED TO CLOSE DOWN THIS 2004 MODEL INFORMATIONAL WEBPAGE?

I GUESS ONLY THE HONDA MARKETING SHADOW KNOWS!

ANY IDEAS?

ChWMeiNThG
07-21-2003, 04:25 AM
go here (http://motoringzone.com/modules/news/article.php?item_id=43)

they have some info of the new shit thats coming out...i say that fp coupe can suck it...:mad:

trk
07-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by ChWMeiNThG
go here (http://motoringzone.com/modules/news/article.php?item_id=43)

they have some info of the new shit thats coming out...i say that fp coupe can suck it...:mad:

bah

160bhp fp coupe... hmmm. Fuckers.

cbecker333
07-21-2003, 06:54 AM
Fuckers, indeed. I'm trying to figure out why there is an Si at all if they are doing this with the civic coupe.:mad:

hamproof
07-21-2003, 06:57 AM
Maybe this will pave way for a 199HP FP Si in the future unless Honda wants to kill the Si which is unlikely.

So, a FP Civic Coupe gets 160HP, they'll have a FP Si down the pipe in place of the just glitz and glamour body kit.

1 HP shy of the 200HP RSX-S might be ok with the dimwit marketing people.

Surprise
07-21-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by trk

bah

160bhp fp coupe... hmmm. Fuckers.

That article has been out for at lease awhile. I think it was Motor Trend that got their facts wrong, when the FP Civic came out they stated that it would have 160hp. The FP has been out for a while now and it does not have a 160hp motor. I say it is an old misprint.

trk
07-21-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Surprise

That article has been out for at lease awhile. I think it was Motor Trend that got their facts wrong, when the FP Civic came out they stated that it would have 160hp. The FP has been out for a while now and it does not have a 160hp motor. I say it is an old misprint.

I'd say your probably right.

natesi
07-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by trk

I'd say your probably right.

I'd say what he says.

younggotti266
07-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
if the ep goes on sale for next year (which looks like it will) then it will be the same. If anything just minor changes.

that's what i think....

if they were gonna change it i believe they would have released info on it by now

....and super street would have already done an article on it......

I asked a tech at a honda dealer if a coupe si was going to come out soon....he said most likely not for a while, the hatch is selling pretty good....

Honda knows people are gonna buy an si if it's a coupe, 4dr, or a hatch....

So their probably in no hurry to change it just yet.......

ragebomb
02-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Welp, I saw a blue 04 Si at Miller Honda today.

- rear lights. look good, i could get used to them. but wouldn't trade them with my own. I guess the whole chrome thing helps give the perception of this being a high end car.

- front lights. ooooh, really bad. Looks like a Ford Focus. Not that those are bad cars, it just that this is a car that already gets confused for a Focus. Now even more so. And the lights now bulge outwards in an fishbowl curve. Really, it's pretty gross. More "moon lander" than i care for.

- steering wheel. there had been some talk about the red stitching being gone from the 04 model, since the 04 brochure left it out in pictures. But this one had red stitching on the wheel.

- AC vents. they added chrome trim to the part of the vent you hold to adjust the direction they point. Adds a bit of bling.

- window controls. the switches on the driver and passenger side for windows are now silver in color to match the other silver trim.

- side skirts. the stock si now has body-colored side skirts that are not as aggressive as the one in the HFP kit. they add about 1.5 inches, maybe more, visually to the sides and actually do improve the look of the car. new front mud flaps have been designed for the 04 that make room for the skirts.

- 16" wheels. these look pretty good. the whole car sits a bit higher now since it appears they increased the overall diameter of the wheel/tire, probably to keep ride quality.

- front grill. the front grill is now painted. sort of a glistening gloss, but it is still black in color.

- sticker price. at Miller Honda, this one was $19,000. Wheel locks were $200, and mud gaurds another $300. Paint protection and $1500 "mark up" added too. Total sticker price was $22,000. Ouch.

That's the update. enjoy.

trk
02-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Holy resurrected thread, Batman.

shimmy_yaz
02-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by trk
Holy resurrected thread, Batman.

yeah how bout it someone was really bored and digging deep

bigace
02-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey ragebomb, where in LA are you? I bought my shit at Miller Honda, too...What mods do you have on your car? I'm curious because I don't know anyone local with a modded EP..

BigAce
2002 Silver EP "Lightweight"
Custom In-Dash Tire Pressure Gauge Mod
Custom Led Center Console Lighting

Originally posted by ragebomb
Welp, I saw a blue 04 Si at Miller Honda today.

- rear lights. look good, i could get used to them. but wouldn't trade them with my own. I guess the whole chrome thing helps give the perception of this being a high end car.

- front lights. ooooh, really bad. Looks like a Ford Focus. Not that those are bad cars, it just that this is a car that already gets confused for a Focus. Now even more so. And the lights now bulge outwards in an fishbowl curve. Really, it's pretty gross. More "moon lander" than i care for.

- steering wheel. there had been some talk about the red stitching being gone from the 04 model, since the 04 brochure left it out in pictures. But this one had red stitching on the wheel.

- AC vents. they added chrome trim to the part of the vent you hold to adjust the direction they point. Adds a bit of bling.

- window controls. the switches on the driver and passenger side for windows are now silver in color to match the other silver trim.

- side skirts. the stock si now has body-colored side skirts that are not as aggressive as the one in the HFP kit. they add about 1.5 inches, maybe more, visually to the sides and actually do improve the look of the car. new front mud flaps have been designed for the 04 that make room for the skirts.

- 16" wheels. these look pretty good. the whole car sits a bit higher now since it appears they increased the overall diameter of the wheel/tire, probably to keep ride quality.

- front grill. the front grill is now painted. sort of a glistening gloss, but it is still black in color.

- sticker price. at Miller Honda, this one was $19,000. Wheel locks were $200, and mud gaurds another $300. Paint protection and $1500 "mark up" added too. Total sticker price was $22,000. Ouch.

That's the update. enjoy.