PDA

View Full Version : Redlining with Hondata...

JDMakeover
07-16-2003, 04:32 AM
any of you guys with it worried about causing severe engine damage, if not soon but over the next couple thousand miles?

i mean we dont have dual valve springs like the rsx-s or the higher compression so is this still safe (be honest please)?

i hear those valve springs are the only thing that can protect you after redlining that high...true?

kenis138
07-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Not sure...I try my best not to "abuse the privilege" and only take it up that high on occasion. From what I have heard, the engine's tolerance for 7.7k (8 on the tach) is ok. I guess we wont be positive til someone pops an engine, but there are guys on here who have had Hondata for 10k+ who I know are a HELL of a lot more abusive than I am. I cant say Im not worried at all, so I try not to do it too often.
Someone with engine knowledge, any input? Are the valve springs an issue?

03BlueEP3
07-16-2003, 06:46 AM
If the redline is too high the valve springs will go over time if they are weak springs. Now the people at honda are not stupid. The oem vavle springs can take alot more then they tell us they car. Relining at 8k is cool. Its when you get up into like 8500 and shit like that. Im sure this enging could handle more then 8k on occusion. The stock valve springs are very good and could take a beating just like the rest of the internals. Now the JDM civics are a different story becasue their red line is already 8k and just with the Spoon computer they can redline at 8500. I personaly would not take the US civic past 8k. If the motor was desigined to hit like 7ish from the factory then 8k shouldn't be too harsh on it. I would just suggest you use some GOOD oil to keep everything well lubed with the higher rpm.

redronin22
07-16-2003, 07:00 AM
logged almost 10k with hondata on my car =-)

redronin22
07-16-2003, 07:01 AM
If u drive a Hondata tuned car you'll understand that its not stressed at all to rev that high. but towards 77 k (past 75) u wont pull anymore perhaps its due to stock breathing? ill find out when i get my cai. show stoppers can u hear me? *cough* cough*