PDA

View Full Version : No More Spring Noise!!!

sammysir
08-23-2002, 09:50 PM
For all you guys that have installed there springs and have had klunking coming from the front i have the solution to your problem. I had a neuspeed rep actually come down to the shop and go over what the problem was and this is what it is. Seems honda is a bunch of cheap bastards and skimping out on quality parts to give us the short end of the stick with cheap crap. What i mean is the front upper struts don't actually use a real metal ball bearing bushing any more. Rather just some cheap vinyle plastic cup for the bearing. Can you say crap? well they only pack that bearing with about a teaspoon of silicone amulsion. And that is the cause of the clunking not enough smooth bearing moving around causing the spring to lock up and shift which is very harmfull on that plastic bearing. If you leave it un aided i guarantee all you guys will have cracked or broken plastic bearings very soon. Okay now to the solution.......... of course take the front suspension assembly apart again remove all the OE grease from the strut hat and add a HIGH i stress HIGH density grease (thick) like axel grease or better yet a sway bar grease and pack it in so theres plenty of it. if you do it right the grease should last in there for about 2 years. BTW mechanic friend at acura says there EL and RSX's both use it and stock cars with no suspension mods have brought them in with those broken bearings so just goes to show that there shit with stock suspesnion. So thats it lube the fuskers and no more klunking.

Cheers

HondaMan
08-23-2002, 10:35 PM
Amazing, many thanks for the advice!!! :)

I got to go get some grease to pack in there tomorrow during my front spring redo...not to mention doing some of those other things (white hash marks and 1/4 turn).

BTW, you mean that green grease in the strut hat...right?

sammysir
08-23-2002, 10:38 PM
yup that green grease get rid of it and add new grease btw the 1/4 turn doesn't apply anymore. Since we don't have metal strut hats the coil doesn't line up on the top rather the bottom. 2001 civic's needed a 1/4 turn. Line up the botton coil until it buts againts the that vertial stop on the bottom strut mount

HondaMan
08-23-2002, 10:43 PM
You sure about the 1/4 turn...does it apply to all springs? I have H&R springs.

Sorry about the 20 questions....just want to make sure...I would hate to do it a 3rd time...hehe. ;)

sammysir
08-23-2002, 10:46 PM
well i know the 1/4 turn applys to the neuspeed springs for 2001 with metal strut hats. so to me sounds like if neuspeed and handr are both 1/4 turning seems there the same. And need to be left in the proper perch on the bottom strut mount

HondaMan
08-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Hmmm...okay...I should be in good shape now for my install redo tomorrow.

I'm going to replace all the grease in the strut hat, 1/4 turn & line up the end of the coil on the white hash marks in the top hat plate and place the bottom of the coil in the standard perch/knotch on the bottom mounting plate. Sound good?

sammysir
08-23-2002, 10:52 PM
sure try it i did no 1/4 turn and its perfect

02SilverSiHB
08-24-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Hmmm...okay...I should be in good shape now for my install redo tomorrow.

I'm going to replace all the grease in the strut hat, 1/4 turn & line up the end of the coil on the white hash marks in the top hat plate and place the bottom of the coil in the standard perch/knotch on the bottom mounting plate. Sound good?
I re-did my spring install. I was having this sound, like my spring was sitting loose inside the shock assembly. I took everything apart, put it back together. I also tired looking at those hash marks, but I really didn't see how that would help. Any way, it's all good now, except sometimes I'll get a little sound, very faint. I think the main problem is these springs, including your H&R, are made specifically for the 01+ EX. If we were to get ones specifically made for our cars, I'm sure the higher spring rate would eliminate the problem. It just seems that these springs don't fit in there to well when there is no pressure on the springs. Try jacking your front end up. Take off the wheels. Then grap the spring and start trying to rotate it. I could actually rotate mine a little, I wasn't impressed at all. It shouldn't do that, but I'm guessing it's because these springs aren't specifically made for our cars

sammysir
08-24-2002, 10:30 AM
i know with my neuspeed it has crazy high spring rate's much greater than for my car or the EX. the hash marks mater because the strut hat is angled...... and the top of the strut housing on the car is angled so the angles have to match up or you take of the risk of klunk and worse bending your strut hat.

twill
08-24-2002, 01:58 PM
Lubing the bearing seems like a good thing to try. And it might explain why there is no noise coming from the rear suspension with aftermarket springs. It seems like the noise only happens when one side of the suspension is unloaded and then loaded again (i.e. there is no noise over bumps that affect both wheels at the same time.

I was just hoping there was something I could do without having to remove the front suspension again! :D Good thing I haven't had an alignment done yet!

OrganDonar 8=D
08-24-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by sammysir
the hash marks mater because the strut hat is angled...... and the top of the strut housing on the car is angled so the angles have to match up or you take of the risk of klunk and worse bending your strut hat.

exactly!!

OrganDonar 8=D
08-24-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan

do all that and you should be all set.
i've been looking for you online, but haven't seen u. i've been so busy w/ work lately, haven't been around that much.

good luck

OrganDonar 8=D
08-24-2002, 02:52 PM
i hate to think about taking apart my front end again just to put grease.... damn that'll be the 3rd time. i would hate to take a chance of letting that plastic brake

HondaMan
08-24-2002, 07:12 PM
All done!!! :D

The grease does the trick...lining up the end of the top coil spring with the hash marks doesn't matter after all, its just the grease and lining up the top strut hat (white hash marks or stamped arrow marks with each other and making sure they point out toward the wheel well). So, I'm all good now...no noises...Thank Goodness!!!

sicivic2002
08-25-2002, 12:15 AM
I don't have any noise coming from the front. But like twill said when I am going slow like parking lot speeds I get a little bit of clunking noise from the back. Not very loud or consistant and like he said when one side is loaded and the other isn't.

sammysir
08-25-2002, 09:24 AM
yah no noise rules but i put a gash in my passenger side outer cv joint boot so fuck me. Any one know how to remove the shafts on these cars? so i don't have to spend huge money to get a new boot fixed at the mechanic

HondaMan
08-25-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by sammysir
yah no noise rules but i put a gash in my passenger side outer cv joint boot so fuck me. Any one know how to remove the shafts on these cars? so i don't have to spend huge money to get a new boot fixed at the mechanic

Ouch, bad luck! I was afraid of that myself...the strut brackets for the brake line and ABS sensor could easily puncture the boot. I can't help fixing it unfortunately.

sammysir
08-25-2002, 09:37 AM
well all the help i need is how to remove the shaft on this car. Can't get it out at the transmission end. so wondering if anyone know's how to pry out a driveshaft on honda's

HondaMan
08-25-2002, 09:49 AM
Well (know that I think about it), the nut that holds the brake rotor assembly needs to come off...its like 32mm socket or something huge like that. Once you get that out of the way you should be able to fix/replace the CV boot...that might be tricky with the ABS sensor. Good luck!

sammysir
08-26-2002, 05:01 PM
fixed it wow what a bitch...... have to take apart the half shaft by smashing it off what a bitch. Also the god damn part cost huge...... bet yah's can't even guess? for a plastic accordian and i mean plastic not rubber 75 bucks + tax....... goddamn. Either way when i was at the dealer ordered my engine cover and bought a pretty sweet looking solo shift knob ala CTR style in silver.

02TafWhtSi
08-27-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by sicivic2002
I don't have any noise coming from the front. But like twill said when I am going slow like parking lot speeds I get a little bit of clunking noise from the back. Not very loud or consistant and like he said when one side is loaded and the other isn't.

I get this too! I have Eibach Pro-kits BTW and find this kind of annoying - like I didn't install them correctly. It sounds as if the spring is rubbing against the perch but only in the rear - the front han't made a sound!

02TafWhtSi
08-30-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by sicivic2002

Anyone have a solution to this? Mine is becoming more frequent and I'd like to fix this problem.

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi

Anyone have a solution to this? Mine is becoming more frequent and I'd like to fix this problem.
I assume you got the springs for 01+ civics and not specifically for the Si. That's most likely your problem:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1965

02TafWhtSi
08-30-2002, 03:36 PM
Actually the receipt said "02+ Honda Civic Si" but now you have got me curious...

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2002, 03:40 PM
Actually the receipt said "02+ Honda Civic Si" but now you have got me curious...
here's the part number for the Si: 4056.140
and here's the part number for 01+ civics: 4051.140

Those are the part numbers for the pro kit. That's what you have correct?

02TafWhtSi
08-30-2002, 03:47 PM
As listed on "OptAuto.com" :

EIBACH PRO KIT: CIVIC 01-02 (ALL)
Item#: EIB-4051 $224.00

EIBACH PRO KIT: CIVIC SI 2002-UP
Item#: EIB-4056 $224.00

02SilverSiHB
08-30-2002, 04:12 PM
As listed on "OptAuto.com" :

EIBACH PRO KIT: CIVIC 01-02 (ALL)
Item#: EIB-4051 $224.00

EIBACH PRO KIT: CIVIC SI 2002-UP
Item#: EIB-4056 $224.00
that is the part number they list for their shop. Look at the box or maybe even take your rim off and look to see if you see the actuall eibach part number
gotta go see signs now :D

sicivic2002
08-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Yeah I have the 01 springs but I am getting them replaced next week with the actual SI springs. I was so pissed when I found out they were the wrong springs.

fishboy
10-31-2002, 12:32 PM
ttt for people that may be experiencing this problem.