PDA

View Full Version : EP3 K20A3 and RSX-S K20A2 Will This Work?

Pir8pete
07-16-2003, 08:54 PM
I wanta know if this will work? I have a EP3 stock right now!

1. I have a place i can get a complete RSX-S K20A2 head, ECU, Emmobilizer and the three Keys (two masters and valay key). for around $400CAD

3. Then i install everything!

4. What kinda whp power will i have? and will everything bolt right up and wires fit?

EKthenEPnow
07-17-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Pir8pete
1. I have a place i can get the RSX-S head and ECU and crank, cuz it's more balanced, i think or is are A3 cranks just fine?

-Yes the Type S crank is better
-Not sure if the Type S crank will bolt into our block (main bearings are different)

2. Then b4 i install the head get TODA's Racing Full Engine Package Camshafts/valve springs, and Hondata Type-S ECU Reprogram

-Sure, you'll need / want the Type-S Ecu and the Toda package would help with Revs, but then we go back to the question of Stock A3 rods/pistons/bearings, being able to withstand repeated trips to over 8000rpm (not sure they will like it)

3. The get the Jackson Racing Race RSX-S Header, cuz they say are stock ones will not line up the bends are a bit diff?

I believe the RSX race header doesn't fit our car (firewall clearance?/ Anti-roll bar clearance?)

3. Then install everything

Don't forget, the bottom end of the A3( pistons, rods, bearings) aren't up to par with the A2 so you really won't be at the same level as if you bought the whole swap in the first place!

so would i have to get the RSX-S head cuz the k20a3 has less lobs? so i couldn't use the cams/valve springs, or even the RSX-S cams with the a3?

Yes you need/want the A2 head, mainly cause the cams(with Vtec Lobes on both Intake AND exhaust valves, are bolted into it)

I still say its kinda pointless for all the work you are doing

-Take A3 head off Bolt A2 Head in its place
-Take A3 crank out, connect A2 crank to A3 pistons and rods

Don't forget that the pistons are another major factor in this game (meaning the Type S has much higher compression than we do)

Here is what I would do if I were in your situation.

Sell the A3 to one of your 7thgenCivic buddies (the ones you meet near the NRC windtunnel)

=$5,000 Canadian

Turn around and buy a FULL A2 swap

=$6,000 - $7,500 Canadian

Difference = $1,000 - $2,500

DynaSpeed
07-17-2003, 06:41 AM
I believe the RSX race header doesn't fit our car (firewall clearance?/ Anti-roll bar clearance?)

Wha??

may wanna do a little more research on this before you tell people what *not* to do. Your advice on selling the A3, and just getting the whole A2 swap was good, though. The time & money saved in the long-run would be worth it.

EKthenEPnow
07-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
Wha??

may wanna do a little more research on this before you tell people what *not* to do.

Don't Hate on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

This was basically the response I got from some Monkey at JR that I e-mailed asking the very same question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!

And I didn't say "THIS IS THE FINAL ANSWER", I merely advised that was what I had heard from Jackson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

jerky
07-17-2003, 02:12 PM
just swap in an a2, sell the a3, then do the toda works package then you won't have anything to worry about.:) the pistons too dont forget about the compression differences. toda's package might be fine tuned for the a2 and differences might not take kindley to the kit. i dunno, you are investing all this money i figured you should do it right. just do the swap and package and kick all our asses.:D

DynaSpeed
07-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Don't Hate on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeez, relax man.... I'm just saying not to be so pessimistic about what fits and what doesn't. If jackson told you that, then they just didn't try it yet. I don't think Jackson likes the A3 motor, nor the Si in general.

I wasn't hatin' on ya. :)

jerky
07-17-2003, 06:00 PM
i honestly think NO ONE likes the a3. all the good stuff coming out is made for the a2, we just happen to be lucky that some things are compatible. i'm gonna run my engine to the ground and get me a swap.

Pir8pete
07-17-2003, 06:02 PM
any of you guys wanta buy my k20a3 it has 14k on it, for 5000CAD? there nothing wrong, it's like new, never run hard or anything :) i changed the oil every 3000

EKthenEPnow
07-17-2003, 07:12 PM
any of you guys wanta buy my k20a3 it has 14k on it, for 5000CAD? there nothing wrong, it's like new, never run hard or anything :) i changed the oil every 3000

Sell it to one of those shmucks in the 7thGen club you hang around!!!!!!!!!!

I'm tellin ya , they'll go for it (and its been proven to work)

Ed-cube
07-18-2003, 03:06 AM
3. The get the Jackson Racing Race RSX-S Header, cuz they say are stock ones will not line up the bends are a bit diff?

I don't know about the Jackson Racing header, but Comptech lists the same part number for both the civic si and the rsx type S.

DynaSpeed
07-18-2003, 05:30 AM
Comptech lists the same part number for both the civic si and the rsx type S.

Is that for the Comptech Shorty or the Race? It doesn't matter, cuz either way, it'll fit to the block. But, what it won't do is fit to the A3 cat. And if it's a race header, it won't fit to the A3 midpipe. (Without modification, of course)

K20ACTR
07-18-2003, 02:04 PM
The comptech race header takes out the cat and will still bolt right up to your midpipe. Now I dont' know if it will bolt up to a stock midpipe since the diamater of the race header is larger. I know that it bolts right up to most aftermarket exhausts though without any modifications. They even give you energy suspension bushings, although you have to buy an adapter for the race header and thats about $100.

fsugatorbait
04-22-2004, 01:14 PM
The Comptech race header will fit all K series applications. You'll get an adapter that is motor specific so that it will connect to the different K series exhaust systems. And yes it will work with stock or aftermarket exhausts because they both have the same style flange.

Siman
04-22-2004, 05:17 PM
wrong wrong wrong...the K20A3 rods, pistons will NOT bolt up to the A2 crank...but the A2 crank WILL bolt up to the A3.

go here, me and EDO have had a LONG conversation about the different set ups for the Kseries...if you dont know EDO...he is THE MAN to talk to about the K motors...end of discussion..

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=2654669#post2654669

thank you EDO for straigtening me out on ALOT of info....
I already have my motor specs i want to build on a sheet of paper.Literally..now to go earn some money hmmmmm:confused:

ATRIOT
04-22-2004, 05:26 PM
damm that was an old thread.

the giant ep3
04-22-2004, 07:06 PM
buy the k20a from japanstarmotors.com for 4650-4950 shipped and then sell yours for 2500-3000 and you are set. i wouldn't even mess with the toda kit if you are going jrsc, just my .02