PDA

View Full Version : Superior engineering or pure luck?

Gibhunter
08-24-2002, 01:15 PM
Yesterday going home, I took my base to about 6700rpm in third and shifted to fourth, but for some reason it went into second I was too slow to get back on the clutch and when I pressed the clutch and looked at the tach, the needle was just passing 8,000rpm coming down. I guess I had my engine at close to 10,000rpm!!!:eek:

Anyways, I expected my engine to sputter and die, but it didn't. Then I checked it at idle when I got home and it seems just fine I drove it all over the place today and it seems as normal as ever. Whew! (wiping sweat off my forehead)...

So, did I get lucky or is it Honda's superior engineering?

02blksi
08-24-2002, 01:58 PM
id like to brag about the enginering but im willing to put my money on the PURE LUCK! count your blessing you didnt turn up like magusdc5! --joe

SmoothOperator
08-24-2002, 02:25 PM
Yeah I'd say you got lucky man. Gotta be careful you're putting it in the correct gear. That's how engines BLOW!

Gibhunter
08-24-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
Yeah I'd say you got lucky man. Gotta be careful you're putting it in the correct gear. That's how engines BLOW!

I know! I've been driving stick 11 years now, but this car for some reason is easier to mis-shift than others:confused:

nickw252
08-24-2002, 03:48 PM
I dont know man.... I did the same thing a while back. I was driving on the highway in 4th gear and it was redlined so I meant to shift into 5th, but oops instead I went straight up to 3rd. I looked at the tach right after it happend and it was coming down to about 9K so I dont know exactly how high mine went.... But it was way too high.

I then autoXed about an hour later when I got to the event :D

JSIR
08-25-2002, 06:31 PM
maybe i-vtec was smart enough to rotate the cam timing just enough to keep the valves from hitting the pistons, cause they should have colided at that rpm level for sure. either that or great luck like was mentioned.

sicivic2002
08-25-2002, 06:45 PM
Shouldn't the rev limiter kick in when stuff like that happens. I

Gibhunter
08-26-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by sicivic2002
Shouldn't the rev limiter kick in when stuff like that happens. I

Rev limiter only cuts off fuel preventing engine from spinning faster. When you misshift, your car is moving, which makes your tires rotate, which makes your transmission to rotate the flywheel, which rotates the crankshaft, which moves the pistons and valves. It does that because of the car moving and wheels spinning. When that happens, fuel cutoff won't do anything. Your only savior then is the clutch which will separate your tranny from the flywheel when pressed all the way in. That's what I did, but I was a bit late. Still, I believe that if I didn't use the clutch, the car would be sitting dead at the dealer's lot.

sicivic2002
08-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Well then at least you have good reflexes right.:)

DynaSpeed
08-26-2002, 09:25 AM
How did Magus blow his motor already? The same way?

HondaMan
08-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Wow, count your lucky stars but I like the superior engineering bit myself. ;)

rocket_civic
08-26-2002, 10:20 AM
You better take it to a dealership and have them use their engine code reader! i bet any money you have the flag that says *engine over speed*, mines come up like that twice and i did the same thing. Your check engine light wont come on but you computer still recognizes that you went over gear speed and its got a flag up on it!