PDA

View Full Version : 911, M3 and Civic Si Suspension Commonalities

Surprise
07-17-2003, 05:06 PM
What do a Porsche 911, BMW M3, Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Porsche Boxster, Mini Cooper, Audi TT, Toyota MR2 Spyder and Mazda Prot

BlasTech
07-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Excellent info :) Thank you.

I've withnessed ConeKiller proving what you just said. :D

SiR Medic
07-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Good write up!

So many people poo-poo on Honda's choice for going with MacPherson struts instead of the old A-arm suspension... I don't see anything wrong with MacPherson struts, and evidently, neither does BMW or Porsche!

One thing MacPherson struts do to improve handing is, by nature of their packaging advantage, is allow carmakers to place the wheels closer to the front and rear resulting in less overhang. Overhang is the difference between overall length and the wheelbase of a car (the distance between front and real axles).

Obviously, long wheelbase/short overall length cars have a handling advantage over shorter wheelbase cars of the same length. Pushing the wheel closer to the front of the car also allows for quicker steering transition and a more accurate feel.

Cone Killer
07-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Excellent info :) Thank you.

I've withnessed ConeKiller proving what you just said. :D

wow! Thanks for the complement:cool:

anjapower
07-17-2003, 08:34 PM
one thing you're forgetting is that almost all of those cars are RWD or AWD. The Si is FWD with struts...thats why its crappier.

andy
07-17-2003, 10:08 PM
The Mini is FWD, as is the Mazdaspeed Protege (not on that
list, but a lot of people have said it is comparable, if not better,
than the ITR in terms of handling), which also uses MacPherson
struts.

Very cool write up - I never was too clear on the differences
in these suspension...

Dunrick
07-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Those cars come better equiped for "handling" tests

i.e. tires

Surprise
07-17-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by andy
The Mini is FWD, as is the Mazdaspeed Protege (not on that
list, but a lot of people have said it is comparable, if not better,
than the ITR in terms of handling), which also uses MacPherson
struts.

Very cool write up - I never was too clear on the differences
in these suspension...

Number 8 (mp3, Mazdaspeed with out the turbo) is the predecessor to the Mazdaspeed.

I agree Dunrick, if our cars came equipped with better tires our handling and braking would drastically improve and the car would have had much better reviews.

02NITEHAWKSi EP
07-18-2003, 06:46 AM
A+

I give you an A+ on this write up. Well thought out and well researched. Any suspension can be great. You have to figure the geometry also. It is all in the placement of the strut and the spring of how good it will hold the vehicle and absorb shock. The same spring will create two different levels of damping on a 2 different cars. Millimeters make huge differences on full set up cars like Indicars. The adjustment screws for the front spoilers move like 1/2 millimiter incriments per full turn if i remember right.

One single change on a car can make a regular car ride on rails.

blackyEP3
07-18-2003, 07:17 AM
Well done!! Good info man! :)

Gasp23
07-18-2003, 07:38 AM
Superb write up. You made your point very clearly without bashing anyone or anything.

BlackNRedSi
07-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Gasp23
Superb write up. You made your point very clearly without bashing anyone or anything.

AGREE!

02SilverSiHB
07-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Cone Killer

wow! Thanks for the complement:cool:
I told you your name is getting popular...
Surprise, awsome hands down right up. Damn good job. I however have to move this to suspension, since that's what it deals with, hope no one minds...I'll also sticky this :)

tony speed
08-11-2003, 12:52 PM
subaru sti wrc car:
Suspension Front MacPherson strut

Suspension Rear MacPherson strut with longitudinal and transverse link

peugot 206 wrc car:
Front : pseudo McPherson
Rear : pseudo McPherson

skoda fabia wrc car:
Suspensions
McPherson, front and rear

lets break the double wishbone myth a little more

Gasp23
08-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Nice write up. This surely cleared a lot of misunderstandings I had with the suspension.

Kirei
08-26-2003, 12:48 AM
To go into why honda put a mac pherson strut in the front rather than double wishbone would be long and technical. To make a long story short, Honda originally designed the new civics with double wishbone front and rear. The problem with that was that honda was unable to recieve a 5 star safety rating from side impact collision with it so they went to the mac pherson strut. Ask any honda mechanic.

02SilverSiHB
08-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Kirei
To go into why honda put a mac pherson strut in the front rather than double wishbone would be long and technical. To make a long story short, Honda originally designed the new civics with double wishbone front and rear. The problem with that was that honda was unable to recieve a 5 star safety rating from side impact collision with it so they went to the mac pherson strut. Ask any honda mechanic.
that is true. I hate our bump steer with this new suspension.

digitldlnkwnt
09-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Ok...Hate me if you must,
But one of the tings that attracted me to the civic, no matter which one you bought, was the wishbone suspension.
I understand the need for macphersons..
but that doesnt mnean i have to like it
GOSH DARN IT:mad: ..
just call me old school

02SilverSiHB
09-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by digitldlnkwnt
Ok...Hate me if you must,
But one of the tings that attracted me to the civic, no matter which one you bought, was the wishbone suspension.
I understand the need for macphersons..
but that doesnt mnean i have to like it
GOSH DARN IT:mad: ..
just call me old school
yeah, I get ya man. There are days I hate this suspension in the front. It feels like a truck when I hit a few bumps while turning. :mad: I'd much rather have the double wishbone

ArcticBlueRsx
09-13-2003, 04:39 PM
yah..bumpsteer is no fun...