PDA

View Full Version : tein spring rate too low for performance handling?

trabadoo22
07-17-2003, 06:05 PM
I recently got the Tein s.tech springs, but I havn't installed them yet. The main reason being that I'm a little concerned with the low spring rates. It just seems to me to if someone wants to get an upgrade in cornering and handling over the stock springs the spring rates would need to be stiffer than stock. I've seen the good reviews on these springs and that's what initially made me chose them, but the more I think about it, it just doesn't make sense on how they could actually improve handling except for the fact that the car would have a lower stance. I can understand how the ride quality wouldn't be that bad, because the spring rates arn't aggressive though. I guess I am just second guessing my decision also in part because I eventually will need aftermarket shocks. With that amount of money I could just have spent a little more and gotten full coilovers. So anyways if anyone has the Teins installed and can comment on how the handling is or if anyone can make sense to me on how the low spring rates will improve handling it is very much appreciated. Thanks.

JapanExpress
07-17-2003, 07:56 PM
That's probably because the S. Techs aren't made for our cars yet. They fit, but as you can see the spring rates are for the coupes/sedans.

trabadoo22
07-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I allready know the spring are supposed to be for the regular civics. I'm just curious as to how they handle compared to the stock setup on the ep. Mostly all the reviews I've read it seems people just say how the ride is not the performance of the handling. I may not be reading them right though. I've read so many I may have forgotten what some people have said. I will keep reading up though. In the mean time if anyone has anyhing good or bad to say about the handling I would love to hear it. Thanks alot.

shimmy_yaz
07-17-2003, 09:18 PM
My car is in the garage right now gettin my Teins on. They got the front on but didn't get to the back today so they will finish it up tommorow. I will post a reply and tell ya what I think as soon as possible.

TezGari
07-17-2003, 09:27 PM
About the S tech's i got em installed. Ill tell ya this, almost any drop is better than stock....I like the drop, i didnt want a 2.0 drop, i wanted something moderate where i can still drive hard without worrying about bumps etc...But the handling is thier, i dont lean as much as i use to into turns, and i can take some corners fast. But in comparison to my bro, he has a 2.0 drop W/ nice rims/tires Grippy, his car hugs turns and flys through em!

But TEIN's S Tech are like all around, nice dress up with some performance, remember its only 1.5 (or 1.7 i dunno)...But i got my ones for 139.00 which is a nice deal. Also performance/handling wise, tires should be listed, because 15' stock rims w/ cheap factory tires suck...When i take hard turns (On ramp 25mph im doin 40mph) my tires are screeching...The tires suck, probally my car will handle like my bros if i get better rims/tires....

But all in all, TEINs are great!! If u want more performance i suggest going with the TEIN Coil over setup ( i think its 900.00) or going with Eibach ( i spell worng?)....

If u want more info on TEIN s Tech's dont take the EP owners words for it, go to other forums (honda-tech.com etc....) thats what i did.....TEINs are nice....:cool:

trabadoo22
07-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Cool. Thanks alot I appreciate it.

It is good to hear they help with handling. I'm guessing this is because of the lowered stance. I'm not really sure how the low spring rates play into it, but if it works then it works. That's all that matters to me.

TezGari
07-17-2003, 09:49 PM
No prob man, suspension to me is the most important mod, because u can have 1500HP how u gona put it to the road? But it starts out with good tires, they can make or brake the car literally!

(1500HP....IS that possible with a k20?):p
Umm....900Hp Turbo....400 Shot of N2o....:p )

02SilverSiHB
07-18-2003, 04:47 AM
I think teins are pretty good for everyday use. I helped install them on djsolution's ride and he loves them. Gave it a nice drop also.

EP33
07-18-2003, 11:10 AM
They feel alot softer compared to the H&R Sports I had. With the adjustable Koni shocks, I can easily over dampen the springs.

The type of suspension setup I wanted was medium/soft spring rates with thicker sway bars & adjustable dampening. I wanted both highway comfort and less lean in the turns. If I adjust the shocks to full soft the car almost rides in a straight line like a Buick :D

I am trying to convince my girlfriend to let me put the S-Techs on her 02 Civic LX. I want to try Eibach next.

Civicvtec1ps
07-18-2003, 03:23 PM
all of my friends like tein s tech.rides great too.

styllinep3
07-20-2003, 06:34 PM
i have tien techs, and i agree that the peformance wasn't the best . better then stock, but i didnt feel that it was as good as eibachs could have been. the look i think is great with 17s and a 45 serires tire though.

i just got a full strut bar set up lower rear tie, upper rear and, upper front. now thats handling. yesterday me and a bunch of the northeast guys went for a sweet ride . like 100 miles through some really windey roads. we were really hitting them to. i even got side ways a little a couple times. we have some great vid footage too were gonna be posting soon. my point is that with the sturt bar set up the wheels just lay on the road. it was just unreal how i can through that car around now. if you egt his i feel u have much more fun with ur car.

trabadoo22
07-20-2003, 07:53 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Even though I think the Teins would be good for me I think I'm going to sell them since I don't know how long my stock shocks will last. Right now I don't have the money to replace them if they go. I think I'm just going to save up for the Tein or KW coilovers. Thanks.

EPHatchgirl
07-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by gabesilver02si
i have tien techs, and i agree that the peformance wasn't the best . better then stock, but i didnt feel that it was as good as eibachs could have been. the look i think is great with 17s and a 45 serires tire though.

i just got a full strut bar set up lower rear tie, upper rear and, upper front. now thats handling. yesterday me and a bunch of the northeast guys went for a sweet ride . like 100 miles through some really windey roads. we were really hitting them to. i even got side ways a little a couple times. we have some great vid footage too were gonna be posting soon. my point is that with the sturt bar set up the wheels just lay on the road. it was just unreal how i can through that car around now. if you egt his i feel u have much more fun with ur car.

DITTO!! I was on the ride as well, and really put my springs to the test. I love my TEINS!!