PDA

View Full Version : Slightly torn tie rod boot

Ty's Si
07-17-2003, 09:00 PM
Well I slightly tore the tie rod boot when doing one side of my suspension last weekend. So I packed it with grease and taped it up as a temporary fix.

I now hear creaking on the front driver side when I turn the steering wheel. I am assuming this is the cause. So a couple of questions:

1, What else might be causing the noise if it's not from the torn boot?

and

2, Where can I get a new one and for how much?

Thanks.

02SilverSiHB
07-18-2003, 04:50 AM
if it's not the boot, it may be that the top of the strut/spring housing area is making that sound...that happens to a few people. Check the how to about that, I think it's near the last post where I put pics showing what to grease to prevent that.

As for buying a new one, try the dealer or
www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

02SilverSiHB
07-18-2003, 04:54 AM
here's a direct link, number 10 is the one you want...if I understand you correctly

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=3DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=P.S.+GEAR+BOX+%28EPS%29

$kraps
07-18-2003, 01:10 PM
My tie rod boot was tore also on my coilover install. I had a terrible knocking and cracking sound also but come to find out it was that my coilover wasnt seated properly. I was told that the tie rod boot wouldnt have anything to do with any knocking...So ya might wanna check that.

Ty's Si
07-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Yes, as I drove today I began to think it may be the coilover not being seated properly. I might try to lubricate all 4 corners on Monday when I install my rear camber kit.

It's not a very loud noise...very slight and I can only hear it with the windows down, radio off, in neutral when rounding corners. But its enough to bug me because it happens EVERy time I park, turn, etc.

Any advice on how to lubricate the coilovers? What kind of lube and how and where should it be applied?

02SilverSiHB
07-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Ty's Si
Yes, as I drove today I began to think it may be the coilover not being seated properly. I might try to lubricate all 4 corners on Monday when I install my rear camber kit.

It's not a very loud noise...very slight and I can only hear it with the windows down, radio off, in neutral when rounding corners. But its enough to bug me because it happens EVERy time I park, turn, etc.

Any advice on how to lubricate the coilovers? What kind of lube and how and where should it be applied?
did you see my post? I added the pic now, I guess it was taken off from a while back when ephatch had problems
it's near the bottom.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=159207#post159207

Ty's Si
07-20-2003, 01:54 PM
Excellent. Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead and invest in some white lithium grease.

styllinep3
07-22-2003, 10:19 AM
yes man is it like a popping sound when u turn the wheel. if it is its the rubber bushing on top the srping. i had the same problem. just get some good spary grease jack up ur car and spay all around the rubber bushing sitting on the spring. cleared my porblem right up and alot easier the a reinstall.

g

ConeCrazy02
07-22-2003, 10:59 AM
you know why our cars makes noises when u turn the wheel? If you take a look at the ac line, you'll notice that it is directly above the left strut. When you turn on the ac, moisture condenses and drips all over the strut, and it is just sitting there. So unless you redirect that line, or prevent water(from the ac line) from getting into strut area, there will always be noise. Gremlins :rolleyes:

styllinep3
07-22-2003, 11:21 AM
well if thats the case. then why didnt i have the probelm till i messed with the suspension. i never heard of what ur talking about

ephatchback
07-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Tie rod ends are $67 each. I got them both for $67 through my buisness. Just walked in there with a tax id and got 50% off.
I would definately replace the tie rod end though. A torn boot isn't a good thing.

Beachya
08-09-2003, 06:39 PM
my tie rod boots are going bad, leaking. so can i just buy the new boots or do i need the tie rod ends?

Thanx,

David

NeuroSi
08-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Just get the tie-rod boots at the dealer. They only cost $1.65 each - Part # 53546-S84-003.
They are easy to put on, even if you don't have the special tool. Just load the boot up with quality suspension grease and slide it over the stud (I used Channel Lock pliers to pull the edge of the boot down to the seat a little at a time all the way around). Make sure you clean the grease off the threads on the stud before you put it back together.