PDA

View Full Version : changing guage lights

StrangeShadow
07-18-2003, 08:21 AM
kay..
1) poped off cheap looking black thing around guage.

2) 3 screws = one top center philips, one left bottom philips, one right bottome philips.

3)Guages slide out partially
3a)disconect guages = to separate batches of wires, one=blue other=green [snap off]
{guages are out}

4)flip them over = white back, snaps off, little black nobs = lights.
[they screw off without prob...carefully] ote:they are attached to green circuit board.

5)locate replacemens or condoms.....to be continued

NOTES: I don't have digi cams so don't ask for pics, I am going to a meet Sat, if someone has one will take pics.
NOW off to radioshack/wal-mart/target/car audio and any other replacements.....looks like Condoms may be only logical way,

any help would be appreciated.

StrangeShadow
07-18-2003, 09:50 AM
radioshack/walmart striked out, no lights no condoms...I can barely keep my eyes open due to lack of sleep, will try other places later today...I doult honda wold have them in other colors..they barely get cars in othr colors.

If anyone can tell me how to get the center dash apart I would be thankful, I couldn't find it on a search and my connection is to slow for pax' movies. thanks

glw
07-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow
radioshack/walmart striked out, no lights no condoms...I can barely keep my eyes open due to lack of sleep, will try other places later today...I doult honda wold have them in other colors..they barely get cars in othr colors.

If anyone can tell me how to get the center dash apart I would be thankful, I couldn't find it on a search and my connection is to slow for pax' movies. thanks

try steve's k-series.com tech area - head unit install (http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_HU_INSTALL).

fsugatorbait
07-18-2003, 01:32 PM
keep us posted if you can find the condoms for the bulbs.
Sounds like an easy way to adjust the color:)

Ocelaris
07-18-2003, 09:30 PM
here is the bulb/condom cover:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&Start=2&ObjectGroup_ID=288&so=2&search_type=1806087

And StrangeShadow, did you notice if there was a film that tinted the backlight orange? If so the condoms aren't gonna help, they'll still just be orangish blue... we need to figure out howto get that orange filter off if there is one.

Two options. Sand and probably acetone the orange away, I talked to someone who's done it and it turned out ok.

go with red condoms :-( but that eliminates obviously any other color, and not much of a change. you could use red LEDs which would be a big improvement over the orange, but still...

The RSXers get full SMD LED backlight and we get twist in bulbs :'(

Ocelaris
07-18-2003, 09:32 PM
nonetheless... we will prevail.

I just need some help maybe figuring out howto get the needles off without snapping them/breaking them... then I can replace the stock SMD LEDs with whatever color I want, and replace all the backlights with blue or white LEDS...

Oh yeas... :D

I intend on changing all of the SMD LEDS if I can... no sense in going half ass through this thing, better color LEDs, like PURE green for turn signal LEDs, Pure RED for whatever Red is used for... none of this nancy orange... All the signals except the turn signals I Think are bulbs... the rest should be SMD LEDs, which run 1-2$ a piece to replace, the question is howto avoid damaging the needles!!! if anyone knows of a way to take off the needles without damage it would be helpful

StrangeShadow
07-19-2003, 06:01 AM
And StrangeShadow, did you notice if there was a film that tinted the backlight orange? If so the condoms aren't gonna help, they'll still just be orangish blue... we need to figure out howto get that orange filter off if there is one.
YEP here's the big prb I ran into. I took off the A/C nobs and noticed that the light behind them was a yellowish/white, which means the nobs had an orange filter in them to make the light orange,
I then took a real close look at guages, when not plugged in, and it looks like they have a filter around them aswell...%$%$#*&)(*(*&%*^%*(**)(_(*)_....major fustration.

Ocelaris, said it, we need to figure how to get the needles OFF without damaging the guages...if I get tim today I'll run by my Honda dealeship and see if techie can help me out...other than that still trying.

Plus= my ac nobs are now a white...not orange hehe:D
AND that picture of the blue guages looks great.
glw, thanks for the link.

Ocelaris
07-19-2003, 05:09 PM
The A/C knobs etc... aren't my concern:

http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_CON_LITE_SWAP

I'm just worried behind the instrument panel there are non-removeable film. Bill