PDA

View Full Version : plastic removal

beansbear
07-19-2003, 11:03 AM
anyone know how to remove the black strip of plastic at the ends of our doors? its the long flat black strip thats at the end of the glass that you push to close the door.

Team
07-19-2003, 11:09 AM
If its the weather stripping you should be able to get it out by pulling with your finders...

Adam

beansbear
07-19-2003, 12:31 PM
not the weather stripping... the hard abs plastic thingy at the end of the glas where it meets the door jamb.

BSEVEER
07-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Why do you want to take it off?

glw
07-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by beansbear
anyone know how to remove the black strip of plastic at the ends of our doors? its the long flat black strip thats at the end of the glass that you push to close the door. i believe it's called door sash trim... according to the manual, it's not as easy as it seems. first remove the remove the mirror, then the door weatherstip, then remove screw under upper corner weatherstrip, then slide trim piece up to remove 2 clips (middle and bottom of trim). then remove the trim piece by pulling away from the window (be careful - it looks like there might be another clip at the very bottom of the trim piece close to the door handle).

i've never tried this but you might try it by skipping the mirror and weatherstrip removal and go straight to the screw...

good luck!

pappaljf
07-19-2003, 05:12 PM
just a guess...

Carbon Fiber sashes off of ebay?

beansbear
07-19-2003, 05:46 PM
i bought some real carbon fiber sheets and wanted to see if i could put them on. Looks to be too tough though! dont want to take it all apart...

pappaljf
07-19-2003, 05:48 PM
try it! I think it will look cool. Not mad weight savings, but cool looking.

mikkellucci
07-19-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by beansbear
i bought some real carbon fiber sheets ...

Curious as to where you purchased the CF sheets from???
Thanks!

siver-SI
07-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Yea I would like the see this CF idea too. Do you have to cut the sheet then and it just fits of the trim or is it a trim part in CF. I am thinking of doing the hood and wing now and the trim might look good.

beansbear
07-19-2003, 11:15 PM
its a prefinished flexible sheet of carbonfiber. Its very hard to cut since carbon is so strong when weaved so im not exactly sure how i will mount it to the door trim piece. I have thought about contact cement but since its curved it may not seat correctly... and since it isnt like vinyl faux carbon fiber, it will not easily stretch to conformity of the piece itself. it probably would look good on something more flat perhaps...