PDA

View Full Version : A question about driving style

snubnose
08-25-2002, 01:15 PM
If I'm not wrong, the Si comes with a highly refined, high revving, i-VTEC engine.

Because I now have about 1,500 miles on the engine I am becoming less inhibited about driving it hard.

My question is, is it okay to drive at around 5,000 rpms? I don't mean shift at 5,000 rpms, but to get that high and stay there?

I love the way it sounds and the acceleration peaks at about 5,400 rpms.

On the other hand, I don't want to tear the engine up out of ignorance.

Thanks in advance for your advice and insights.

2k2civicSi
08-25-2002, 02:50 PM
im not sure but i do it all the time

rswbrixton
08-25-2002, 05:21 PM
Drive it .

Mechanical failure , like Electrical failure that is fault of manufacturer defect or assembly error will occure very quickly in use.

Honda is first and foremost an engine company , second an automobile manufacturer . I would rest easy knowing that .
Although not perfect , Honda is heads and tails above all else at engine design and dynamics.

Easy break in is for the brakes sake in my opinion .

As i mentioned elsewhere earlier , i have drive all my Honda's to hell and back when i've left the lot . Six Honda's and to vw's and no engine related mechanical or electrical failure ever . No consumption of oil .

But i do believe in oil/lube/filter every 300 kilometers done faithfully and even more so after real spirited driving .

2sloSi
08-26-2002, 11:23 AM
I drove my 00 Si numerous times above 5 even 6 grand on the highway streets whatever, cause i loved the sound, power, and VTEC engine! Man, i just realized how much of a loser i am!

DynaSpeed
08-26-2002, 01:09 PM
My question is, is it okay to drive at around 5,000 rpms? I don't mean shift at 5,000 rpms, but to get that high and stay there? Is it ok? I hope so. My car has stayed above 5k for more than 4 hours continuously. I even get good mileage there. right at about 30mpg.