PDA

View Full Version : back from vacation - car is not the same???

iR-VTEC2
07-19-2003, 07:50 PM
I searched for this but i got ten billion results...

So I get back from my vacation and Immediately i noticed that im having a difficult time shifting into 3rd. Sometimes it seems that something is blocking the shift, other times, it sounds like its grinding into 3rd even when the clutch is fully engaged.

This happens much more when im driving hard. The car just doesnt feel the same. Im depressed!

I probably caused it but how? And what do I do to fix it?

Any input is appreciated.

i02si
07-19-2003, 08:07 PM
i had the same problem it's the syncro's, i'm guessing it's from racing thats what happend to mine but honda fixed it.:(

iR-VTEC2
07-19-2003, 08:19 PM
But then...it will just happen again huh?

i02si
07-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Thats what i'm really think about now. I don't know what i'm going to do.:(

TheMutt
07-19-2003, 08:36 PM
How many miles do you have on your car?

i02si
07-19-2003, 08:52 PM
i had 15,500 miles on mine when it went bad.

iR-VTEC2
07-19-2003, 09:13 PM
I have about 6.5K miles.

IceD out N CALI
07-19-2003, 09:14 PM
maybe it is the syncros. I'd have it checked out at the dealer-so they can take care of it

iR-VTEC2
07-20-2003, 04:19 AM
yeah but if they take care of it, is it just going to happen again?

02TafWhtSi
07-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by iR-VTEC2
yeah but if they take care of it, is it just going to happen again?

if they repair it correctly and you don't drive it like an animal, syncros should last a VERY long time (<40K miles)

JSIR
07-20-2003, 09:32 AM
do you have an AEM intake, sometimes that can interfere with the shifting if it gets mis-aligned in the engine bay, it affects third gear the most.

If not have the fluid changed with new Honda MTF, that helped me a lot , night and day difference.

Joey

ConeCrazy02
07-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Transmission fluid is a worthy investment. I remember reading once honda owners used GM transmission fluids on their honda transmission, and it was a big improvement.

JSIR
07-20-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by ConeCrazy02
Transmission fluid is a worthy investment. I remember reading once honda owners used GM transmission fluids on their honda transmission, and it was a big improvement.

yeah a lot of racers and auto-x guys I've known swear by GM Synchromesh fluid (I think that's the name) for their Hondas.

I am quite comfortable with the Honda MTF, just change it once per year. My tranny was a real disappointment to me the first year, 1st to second gear change would be real rough and sometimes grind. And double clutch downshifting was terrible. After changing the fluid this spring the tranny has become a real pleasure, I love the feel of the changes now, very smooth and precise, and double clutch downshifts work as they are supposed to. Its been a huge difference in my case.

Joey

iR-VTEC2
07-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Could it also be that i Need a new clutch?

sleepinEP3
07-20-2003, 06:51 PM
i wouldnt think so at only 7k. thank you JSIR, i think i will be changing my trans. fluid this week.
iR- we should meet up one day. tell LOST03 too and we have a mini cruise. and yeah, a black 02 got stolen this week and this guy with a sliver one totalled his so be careful, the EPs seem to be having bachi here on oahu

mental
07-20-2003, 07:15 PM
its the syncros... and youre fucked! take it in and hope they fixed it if they try and make you pay for it tell them bull shit and make a big ass deal!!! if they still wont fix it PM me i got you back same shit happened to me and i wanted to file a lawsuit when they tried to make me pay! but i couldnt i know real evidence of the same shit happening to anyone else yet! so if ya need me, i got your back i kept all the paper work on everything we did! see ya!

iR-VTEC2
07-21-2003, 02:03 AM
I don't think its the synchros.

I'm gonna have to say that its something to do with the gate. Seems like its worn away due to quick shifting.

I'll find out on monday and I will let you all kwow what happens.

Sleepin: Wrong island brah! Thanks for the invite tho. Maybe the next time i'm in town ill holla atcha.

todaCspec
07-21-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by JSIR

yeah a lot of racers and auto-x guys I've known swear by GM Synchromesh fluid (I think that's the name) for their Hondas.

I am quite comfortable with the Honda MTF, just change it once per year. My tranny was a real disappointment to me the first year, 1st to second gear change would be real rough and sometimes grind. And double clutch downshifting was terrible. After changing the fluid this spring the tranny has become a real pleasure, I love the feel of the changes now, very smooth and precise, and double clutch downshifts work as they are supposed to. Its been a huge difference in my case.

Joey

Thanks for the info. What do you think about the SPOON magnetic oil/tranny drain plugs? Is there any side effects w/these magnetic field?

iR-VTEC2
07-22-2003, 12:02 AM
it was exactly what i said. No point in fixing it, just gonna happen again.

Anyone know how to cast bronze? hehe