PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious coilovers on eBay

ragebomb
07-19-2003, 08:10 PM
So I'm always seeing these "coilovers" on eBay for like $70 a set.

I'm not a tuner-guru by any means, I'm just looking to lower my ride. Aren't coilovers supposed to be several hundreds of dollars ($700-1400). What's up with these kits, and how do they differ from real coilovers?

Here's an example of the no-name coilovers on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42609&item=2423557291

Thanks for the help guys. I'm thinking of going the budget-friendly way and getting H&Rs for my ep3. I'm going to search the forum, see what you all thought of those springs.

George Knighton
07-20-2003, 07:38 AM
IMHO, if you're going to get a new suspension for your EP, you want to make sure you match the load distribution and frequency of the OEM front springs.

I do not see how those coilovers would do the job.

I went from OEM to GC to Mugen, and there's a huge advantage to the Mugen, which uses large springs clearly designed to match the design of the OEM front springs.

Those cheap coilovers seem to be a GC imitation. I already know I don't like the GC design for the EP, I wouldn't even think of those.

You will also exacerbate the already present bump steer strut problem by lowering a strut car like the EP if you don't relocate the steering arms.

(In GC's defence, I use a custom rate GC/Koni setup on my ITR, and it's wonderful in that application.)

bcivicsi0069
07-22-2003, 09:27 PM
i have gold line springs well the back of my car sagged so when i put my wings west kit on it the side skirts would drag over everything i bought a set of ebay coilovers to try an raise up the rear whewww stay away they ride worse than an old west wagon gotta take them out tomorrow an put my goldlines back in cause id rather hear the scrub of my kit than be beat to death by some cheap shit lol

ragebomb
07-23-2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the 411. I thought $70 coilovers were too good to be true!