PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 rear fill suggestions.

TomR123
07-20-2003, 12:23 PM
Alright, Im looking for some rear fill to add a little mid bass and a little high, just not too bright. I listened to an alpine typer and type s at Sound Advice (comperable to a tweeter elsewhere I suppose) The type R was too bright for rear fill but the S seemed alright for mid bass and I found a pretty good price for them. Im just wondering if anyone else has reccomendations for brand and model. Id like to keep it under 100. God Im cheap

dtexan
07-20-2003, 12:53 PM
I picked up some infinity refrence 6.5 for like $39.99 a while back they sound great for rear filler

BlackNRedSi
07-20-2003, 07:03 PM
I picked up a set of Sony Xplods, they did a great job for fill in...Then moved on to Boston ZSeries....night and day speakers, but the Xplods do wonders for rear fill in...the bostons are superwow, but very pricey...1000 retail

siver-SI
07-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by dtexan
I picked up some infinity refrence 6.5 for like $39.99 a while back they sound great for rear filler

I have the same thing and I think they are great too. They just work well back there.

TomR123
07-21-2003, 01:50 PM
I didnt listen to any sony 6.5s I'm not a real fan of sony. I did listen to the bostons and they were nice, I just think the alpines could do what i need midbass wise without sounding too bright that the bostons could do. (nice speakers though) Im gonna wait a lil and research a little more. What kind of difference did you notice after putting in the rears?

dtexan
07-21-2003, 02:03 PM
I didnt really notice a huge difference with the rear speakers. I added a JL microsub8.1 that really made a big difference. My plans are to replace the factory headunit and install some infinity perfect 6.1 components in the front. I had them in a previous accord and they rocked. What type of equipment do u currently have?

TomR123
07-21-2003, 02:11 PM
Well I hate to say it but Im using a swap shop sub and amp and components on an alpine 50x4 HU (model # escapes me at the moment) I bought the stuff because it was realitivly cheap and I must say suprising for being flea market stuff, perfect for my needs anyways. I just wanted a little more midbass to help out with some rock recordings, older cheaper recordings lack midbass e.g. Offspring Ignition.

stubbs
07-21-2003, 02:32 PM
If you want the best go with Boston Acoustic's Pro series seperates. I have the 5.5's in front and the 6.5's in the rear. I love them but they are expensive and will need an amp to drive them. I got mine online way below list for around 450.00 a set.

TomR123
07-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Man theres no way i can justify 450.00 on speakers with my current income. I know the difference will be amazing but its just not worth it to me, not to mention when you get components and amps that are so clear you end up hating the cds that you have because you hear every little imperfection. Not to mention if my car was ever stolen or broken into I'm out 450 instead of 100 or so.
Im begining to think that I dont really need rear, as it is I keep it faded up front, but thats only because the rears get way too muddy when I turn it up. Im not totally unsatified at the moment, I think my money may be better spent on tint.

stubbs
07-21-2003, 02:49 PM
I know what you mean tom, I had a 92 Mustang that I put over 50k into that was stolen a little over 2 years ago, even though I had receipts I only got 19k for the car, that sucked.

dtexan
07-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Tint is well worth it just make sure you get a good quality film. If you want better sound hook-up a small subwoofer. I added an 8" and it made a big difference in the sound.

stubbs
07-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Tint is definetly worth it but make sure they don't cut your defroster coils. The stang was tinted and it didn't help, if someone is eying your car you can't hide the BOOM, they are gonna know its there, but if someone is just walking buy it could save you a big hassle and a buck of cash.

TomR123
07-21-2003, 03:08 PM
I turn the boom down anytime im close to parking. I hate worrying about that, but I accept the fact that if someone wants something theyre gonna take it. To be safe i turn it down or off about a block from parking.God movie theaters freak me out, but I do it at my own house, you never know who is around, and the end result is the same: window broken for a $90 amp and sub,or a $500 one. Suprisingly though Im not as concerned with theives as I am as the condition of my interior and my condition when I'm in it. South Florida is always somewhere between 80 and 90 thousand degrees and when your trying to get your AC goin its just murder. and to quote someone else on ephatch "I dont want pink stitching on my seats".:D

stubbs
07-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Does it really make a difference in interior temps

dtexan
07-21-2003, 03:26 PM
If you get a high qualuty double metalic film you will notice a huge difference in heat rejection. I just bought tint 2 weeks ago the stuff I bought blocks like 52-58% of the heat and all uv rays. Tint+Sunshield for front windshield= cool car. I live in texas where the temps are over 100 all summer. Gotta get tint

stubbs
07-21-2003, 03:29 PM
How can you find those numbers. I am getting ready to do the Vette and want to do it right.

dtexan
07-21-2003, 03:32 PM
The brand of tint I used is http://www.formulaone.com/. Also LLumar films are good the one thing you really want is the double metalic layer thats wahat really blocks the heat also gives you a nice black look http://www.llumar.com/lewis/auto.html

oogy-boogy
07-22-2003, 11:14 AM
In regeards to your ?, you realy shouldn't have to spend much at all on your rears as they are only there for "rear fill". Realistically, you don't need an incredible set in the rear as the front should be your better speakers as it's your soundstage. I've always gone with an incredible set of components up front and a comparable decent set in the rears. Try to stay with a softer sounding speaker so as to not ruin your imaging. With my last 3 cars I've actually gone with MB Quart high end components up front and JBL coaxials in the rears. My fader is always set favorably to the fronts so I don't ruin my imaging. An excess highs in the rear will kill your overall sound. Try the Crutchfield bargain bin! (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-o0iVrtRsJQt/save/)

Steve02Si
07-22-2003, 12:52 PM
Front Stage: JL XRs, Boston Pros, OZ audio, Dynaudio... something good like these is well worth the money over cheaper stuff. Listen before you buy - in car demos are far more accurate than any soundroom. Only you can decide what sounds best to your ears.

Rear fill: stock if anything. Sound is meant to come from in front of our ears. why do ya think they're shaped like that? Unless you're doing a video system where you actually have separate rear channels of signal (don't confuse the rear outputs of your radio, it's really just a 2 channel system with a fader), then you don't really need surround and as others have stated, too much high frequency will just ruin your front staging.

Sub: Single 8W7 is my favorite thing out there. Tiny enclosure, louder and deeper than most 10s and many 12s.

PhatBox
07-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Do we really need rear fill for our cars? I am getting a system later this week and was planning on just getting a two channel amp for the front separates (dynaudio 240mkII). Since I was going to go with Diamond Audio Amps (who don't make a high powered 4 channel amp), I was going to just run a two channel (2x150 at 4ohm) and run an infinity perfect 10 off the 600W mono amp. Dont really want to spend more money to get another amp for the rears.

If you feel like I would need rear speakers, what matches well with dynaudio? Most cheaper stuff would sound out of place, and getting 2 sets of components from dynaudio would be pricey and a waste since the rears are just for fill.