PDA

View Full Version : Is it harmful to turn the AC on and off frequently?

snubnose
07-20-2003, 03:48 PM
The AC makes my car a little cold, even in the lowest setting so I turn it off and use recirculate. Then when it gets too warm inside, I turn the AC back on.

So when I'm driving I am constantly turning the AC on, then off, then a little while later, back on again. Is this going to damage my HVAC system, or it okay?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share with me.

Cone Killer
07-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by snubnose
The AC makes my car a little cold, even in the lowest setting so I turn it off and use recirculate. Then when it gets too warm inside, I turn the AC back on.

So when I'm driving I am constantly turning the AC on, then off, then a little while later, back on again. Is this going to damage my HVAC system, or it okay?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share with me.

I doubt it will do any harm. You COULD use the temperature setting to make it not so cold you know.

2K2SilverSi
07-20-2003, 07:20 PM
if you do it too often you can blow the clutch in the compressor but if you do it say on and then off in like 5-10 min cycle you should be ok but it still does cause more wear than just keeping it on. I would just adjust the temp.

rick77f
07-20-2003, 09:08 PM
The compressor clutch cycles on and off all the time anyway. You won't hurt a thing.

stubbs
07-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Your fine. The systems are designed for years and years off and on use, its what they are made for.

sonic imperial
07-21-2003, 06:15 AM
I turn mine on and off alot too. One reason I turn mine off is every time I come to a stop light/stop sign. The car struggles to get up to speed with the A/C on so I just hit the button once I'm up to speed again.

RMC22
07-21-2003, 09:46 AM
You're good to go.

02TafWhtSi
07-21-2003, 03:53 PM
doesn't sound harmful to me :)

YooShin
07-22-2003, 10:51 AM
I had a 94 fried rice Accord coupe with 140K miles and the A/C didn't start crapping out until about 120K and I live in Houston where it's 90 about 300 days out of the year. I totally abused the A/C (and the hole car in fact) and it put up with it quite well. Never even had the freon charged. I went through more axles and tires than anything else. Trust me Hondas are tough, and they'll take "agressive" use in any climate;)