PDA

View Full Version : Questions about different Alpine Units

EViLsneakyDUCK
07-20-2003, 05:21 PM
Alright, recently I've been looking around for a new Alpine headunit. I've been looking at:

CDA-9815
CDA-7897
CDA-7894

I was wondering if anyone has experiences with either one. The 7894 is one of last year's models, but you can change the buttons to amber colored and I was wondering if anyone has a picture of it.

Si-Sissy-PA
07-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Hey man -

I have the Alpine 9815 and I love it... I think it's the best value for your money -

The headunit-based crossovers are complicated but ideal for fine tuning = and the

Timing correction (setting millisecond delays so taht sound gets to your ears precisely at the rigth time) ... i.e. sub hitting at the right time (slows down other speakers to accommodate) and all the crazy web-based stuff that you can burn on a disk and upload to the machine makes this one great..

the display is also much more digital than the other alpines-- a really sweet bright blue display...

all in all, I love mine.. I looked at the slightly cheaper Alpines, but this one was worth the extra dough --- (I paid about $420--- you should be able to get one for that much)

Here's a pic of my setup so far --- https://teamnav.bartellbartell.com/norah/si_6_23_03/si.html

-M

EViLsneakyDUCK
07-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Nice ride :) Thanks for the pics, the 9815 was always on the top of my list, but I was never sure how it would really look inside. I was thinking of getting a brand new one off ebay for about $350. Was it hard to install? Unlike the other units, the 9815 requires it to be connected to the car battery and Im not sure if I need to buy anything extra other than a wiring harness and dash kit. Circuit City wants to charge $80 for installation and equipment :mad:

Si-Sissy-PA
07-21-2003, 01:59 PM
If you can find one from a legitimate source for $350, go for it - but be wary of stolen goods ;-)

It's a cinch to install... honestly, for a lot of stereos that are higher powered, it's better to connect neg right to battery anyway-- better power response... the wiring harness kit I got from sosche worked great - and the nice thing about Honda is that the colors all match :)

the Alpine comes with it's ow nice in-line fuse - just make sure you use it :)

there is some great postings on here about rippin out your dash...

all those things combined made my experience fun to install myself.

One thing - if you are desiring to get a finishing plate (I opted out of it, and made my own) don't let the stereo shop guys sell you one for the regular civic -- they look identical, but are NOT - and it won't work in your car without some unpleasant modification.

I also disliked the upper slot position for my headunit .. and I think Alpine has actually designed the unit in mind for even lower installs --- that's why the faceplate tilts UP in three positions (but not down) ... right where you see mine mounted is PERFECT... you can reach all the buttons without taking the hand off the shifter if you want.

One last thing - if you desire to use AUX - IN, you have to buy a special AI-Net cable - that'll be another $20 - the easiest place toactually find it IN STOCK seems to be frickin Crutchfield.

-M

EViLsneakyDUCK
07-21-2003, 02:09 PM
thanks for the info? However, crutchfield reccomends I get a 10 guage amp wiring kit to connect the unit to the battery. Would I have to get some 10 guage wire or does the unit come with everything I need?