PDA

View Full Version : 6 speed tranny?

SilVic
07-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Is it possible to buy the 6 speed transmission from the JDM Civic and swap it into our cars? If so, could u tell me some place and a price on a transmission? Thanks

ephatchback
07-21-2003, 04:05 PM
Pretty sure an RSX-s tranny will bolt up just fine. They can't be that expensive.

Mad02Si
07-21-2003, 04:54 PM
Yeah Rsx tranny should bolt right up. You would just have to notch the shift assembly to allow you to hit reverse..

jandetuning
07-21-2003, 06:14 PM
My RSX-S 6 speed will be here tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it goes when I install it. It will probably be a couple of weeks. Everything I have heard tells me it is a direct bolt in, and the shifter is the only part that needs modified.

I got my tranny for $450 plus $110 freight. I am not sure if that is the best I could have done, but the deal seemed good to me.

cpu519
07-21-2003, 06:53 PM
That was you who won the auction on ebay, jandetuning? That's a good price. I got mine for $550, plus $100 for shipping, not on ebay though.

jandetuning
07-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by cpu519
That was you who won the auction on ebay, jandetuning? That's a good price. I got mine for $550, plus $100 for shipping, not on ebay though.

Yeah, the username I generally purchase under is 02_ep_hatch. I thought it was a pretty good deal so I grabbed it. It seems the previous owner was trying to pass another car, and while downshifting from 5th to 4th he accidently went into second. He said that it snapped three rods and blew a hole in the block.

cpu519, now that you have the tranny in the car, just how close are the gates between the gears? Is it similar to the stock 5 speed? Some people have stated that the RSX-S transmission is rather close.

siver-SI
07-21-2003, 07:36 PM
I would like to know how this swap goes. If I do a turbo I want one but I might install this before the turbo since it is so cheap. Any one know a good place to find a trans for a 83 Jag XJ6? I need to replace one of these.

jandetuning
07-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by SilVic
Is it possible to buy the 6 speed transmission from the JDM Civic and swap it into our cars? If so, could u tell me some place and a price on a transmission? Thanks

You can check back here occasionally Honda Swap (http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3) for some other swap info.

SilVic
07-22-2003, 07:50 PM
So the Type R tranny is the same as the RSX-S ?

jandetuning
07-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by SilVic
So the Type R tranny is the same as the RSX-S ?

Yes, but the R has a different final drive and an LSD

siver-SI
07-22-2003, 08:45 PM
What one is better the RSX or the Type-R trans? What is the price diffrence between the two?

jandetuning
07-22-2003, 09:15 PM
The Type-R trans is better because of the LSD. It will also cost you a lot more, and be much harder to find.

cpu519
07-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by jandetuning

Yeah, the username I generally purchase under is 02_ep_hatch. I thought it was a pretty good deal so I grabbed it. It seems the previous owner was trying to pass another car, and while downshifting from 5th to 4th he accidently went into second. He said that it snapped three rods and blew a hole in the block.

cpu519, now that you have the tranny in the car, just how close are the gates between the gears? Is it similar to the stock 5 speed? Some people have stated that the RSX-S transmission is rather close.

jandetuning,
The throw from first to second, third to fourth, etc. seems about the same. From second to third, fourth to fifth it is a little closer.

About the previous owner blowing his engine while shifting, that seems to happen to many Type S owners, not everyone blows their engine though. There is a problem with some transmissions with grinding gears and bad syncros, Acura addressed it with a service bulletin. Some owners missed a shift because of the problem and blew their engine from overrevving. Maybe you've done it already, but do a search on the topic at clubrsx.com. There was a VIN number range where the affected trannies fell under, those are the cars Acura advised servicing.

Z26
07-23-2003, 01:31 PM
What do you expect the rpm's will be in 6th? Aren

TezGari
07-23-2003, 01:54 PM
My question is, what are the performace gains from having the RSX S tranny? Also, isnt the close gear ratio (5spd) that we have good? I wouldnt mind having a 6spd tho, for the highway, wont the 6spd also improve our higway mileage?

cpu519
07-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Imagine if when you shifted from 4th to 5th that there wasn't as much of an rpm drop, then the engine would be in a better power range right? Same with 3rd to 4th and the rest of the gears, if there was less of a drop in rpms when you upshift, the car would accelerate quicker. What the 6 speed does is add another gear in between 1st and 6th to keep the ratios closer together. Sixth gear on the Type S is not added on top of 5th, it is the 5th gear on the Si.

jandetuning
07-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
For the Type-S:
Transmission
Gear Ratios
1 : 3.266:1
2 : 2.130:1
3 : 1.517:1
4 : 1.147:1
5 : 0.921:1
6 : 0.738:1
Final drive : 4.388:1

For the Si:
Gear Ratios:
1st 3.062
2nd 1.769
3rd 1.212
4th 0.921
5th 0.738
Reverse 3.583
Final Drive 4.764

I'm surprised at how much shorter the RSX's first two gears are than the Si's. But, there you have it, RSX 5th = Si 4th, and RSX 6th = Si 5th.

However, the final drive for the RSX is a bit taller (which kinda negates the shorter 1-3 ratios), so you would be able to run the engine at lower RPM at the same cruising speed.

Which brings up the question -- is it simpler to change just the final drive of the transmission, and if so, who would be willing to give up a bit of the zing that the Si's got in the lower gears?

I believe these numbers to be right.

The performance benefits are due to the extra gear and the lower final drive ratio.

The main benefit is reduced rpm while cruising on the freeway. Also gears 2,3, and 4 will have a little mechanical advantage for acceleration, while sixth will provide a much improved overdrive given the final drive ratio difference.

cpu519
07-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks jandetuning for putting that up, I was looking for that post. Now, I'm wondering if the Si final drive is the same as the Type R. I know the ITR has a final drive of 4.7xx:1. And I wonder if the Si part will physically bolt in to the Type S trans? Put that and the Type R LSD and you'll have the Type R trans. Maybe I'll take out the final drive from my Si trans and check it out.

chubbychu
07-23-2003, 05:39 PM
wow....only 600 bux all togehter? who will install it for you? when you say..."bolt right on" you mean....BOLT right on right?

madbrain
07-24-2003, 07:33 AM
And I wonder if the Si part will physically bolt in to the Type S trans? Put that and the Type R LSD and you'll have the Type R trans. Maybe I'll take out the final drive from my Si trans and check it out.

This has been done on ClubRSX, the final drive and the lsd will work in the RSX or Si tranny.

jandetuning
07-24-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
wow....only 600 bux all togehter? who will install it for you? when you say..."bolt right on" you mean....BOLT right on right?

In a response to my original post, cpu519 stated that he has performed the swap, and it was a direct bolt in. Looking at the tranny sitting on my garage floor, it definitely looks like it will be a perfect fit. I will be doing the swap myself. It looks like it will be a 4-6 hour job from start to finish.

Here is a link to my request for assistance:Original Thread (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17198)

cpu519
07-24-2003, 10:10 PM
I did some searching, the Si and the DC5 Type R have the same final drive ratio, 4.764:1. The Type R unit cost $400 - $500, the Si part costs $123.17. That saves a lot of money to go toward an LSD!