PDA

View Full Version : braking problem

tony speed
07-21-2003, 07:04 AM
I've noticed for a long time now that the brakes on my ep occasionally feel like they want to give out, and when they do I get a horrible grinding feeling in the pedal. This always seems to happen when I try to turn the steering wheel and brake at the same time. The other day, I swing a sharp turn near the limits of adhesion and brake to stop and my brakes give way! There was this horrible grinding feeling and no braking force for a little while. It is not a good feeling to realise your brakes aren't working. I stopped just in time to not hit the curb. I have spoken to one other ep member with this problem. But this was the first time I realised it is very serious. Does anyone else have this problem?

audomatik
07-21-2003, 07:10 AM
I had the same problem, but not on a turn. I was taking a friend for his first ride in an EP and i let her rip through 1st and shifted 2nd. Then realizing I had to stop at a stop sign in like 20 feet, i slammed on the brakes and it sounded like my transmission was grinding, and i didn't stop. But then the brakes caught and I stopped in the middle of the intersection... Yay for it being 12am and no one was coming. It scared me, I babied the car the rest of the night.

r3p00c
07-21-2003, 07:13 AM
i have a similar problem... every so often, i'll get a nasty grinding, or clunky feeling to the brakes. it generally happens when i go around a bumpy turn and i'm braking, or if i come to a bumpy stop, like at a stop sign. i've taken it into honda once already, and they said they couldn't duplicate it... since then its happened a couple times. the next time i go in there, i'm gonna bring a service tech out with me and i'll duplicate it myself. it doesn't look good that this is becoming more and more of a common problem... :(

sonic imperial
07-21-2003, 07:14 AM
My rotors are already warped with only 17k miles and it feels terrible. All I do is drive my car in a normal fashion most of the time and it's amazing to me how I can warp a set of rotors so fast, no matter how hard I try not too. Honda brakes just suck.

sonic imperial
07-21-2003, 07:35 AM
Followup: I just got off the phone with the dealer and they said they'd turn my rotors for free. I asked them why we're having so many brake problems and he goes: "You're not the only one, we are constantly dealing with warped rotors and braking problems in Hondas, and imports in general. The manufacturers are not making the rotors large enough like domestic vehicles." I guess that may be true since I've had alot more trouble with hondas than other vehicles I've owned. Definitely talk to your service manager about your problems, I personally deal with the manager only and to the results I need. I know the original thread may or may not be a rotor issue, but just wanted to throw that out there just in case.

blueiedgod
07-21-2003, 08:58 AM
if the grinding sound is similar to metal scraping and you pedal vibrates that means you simply activated your ABS. On a rainy day, take her out to an open parking lot speed up to 60 or so and then slam on your brakes, you will hear the same noise.

The tires on the car have very low cohesion coefficient. They are good all-season tires, but not performance tires. I have had good experience with Yokohamas AVID T4, but they sucked in the winter.

tony speed
07-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Yea. That would explain why it's more evident now that I have 7.5 inch width pirellis. The ABS system is probably very confused.

j spek chucks
07-23-2003, 07:59 PM
i get a grindind feeling when im going about 70 and it feels like it pulls a little to the right