PDA

View Full Version : OEM style front rubber lip?

chunky
07-22-2003, 09:20 AM
How many of you would be interested in an OEM style front rubber lip that is about 1-2" taller.

The main purpose would be to achieve the aerodynamic effects of a lower front lip, while maintaining stock appearance & since it's rubber, if you scrape it on a driveway or speed bump, it would just bounce back instead of cracking like urethane or fiberglass.

bigcase
07-22-2003, 09:22 AM
would it look just like whats on the car right now? im a little confused.

chunky
07-22-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by bigcase
would it look just like whats on the car right now? im a little confused.

I guess what's on the car right now isn't really a front lip - it's a front underbody spoiler. it's function is to redirect air around the underbody to help create negative pressure below the car. So the closer this is to the ground, the better aerodynamics you have at speed.

The stock one hangs about 1.5-2" down from the underbody. If you got one that was about 3-4", it would be almost touching the ground if your car is lowered 2", and you would have a pretty favorable increase in high speed stability w/o the use of more visible spoilers etc. And it would be pretty resillient to scraping etc.

so to answer the question, it would look exactly like the stock underbody spoiler, but would just hang lower.

IceD out N CALI
07-22-2003, 09:37 AM
i might be interested in it, but of course i'd always want to see pics of the actual design on an ep to know if i would like it or not:)

chunky
07-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
i might be interested in it, but of course i'd always want to see pics of the actual design on an ep to know if i would like it or not:)

it wouldn't really change the appearance of hte car much since it's on the underbody.

i'm trying to see how much a prototype will cost me. I know I want one at least for myself, but if more people are interested, i might be willing to take the trouble to have a small number made.

bigcase
07-22-2003, 09:42 AM
the only thing i would be worried about if that thing is almost touching the ground is, what if you were doing like 80/90 and you hit something. that lip would rip out the fittings and probably rip off part of the front bumper. right? i dont know, ive hit stuff (dead animals) at speed and it wasnt pretty for either party. know whut im sayin. this lip would have to be pretty thin to be safe at high speed.

chunky
07-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by bigcase
the only thing i would be worried about if that thing is almost touching the ground is, what if you were doing like 80/90 and you hit something. that lip would rip out the fittings and probably rip off part of the front bumper. right? i dont know, ive hit stuff (dead animals) at speed and it wasnt pretty for either party. know whut im sayin. this lip would have to be pretty thin to be safe at high speed.

it would be tapered, i.e. thicker at the top, thinner at the bottom.

it wouldn't be thick enough to hold it's shape if something hit it, but it has to be thick enough to resist excessive deflection due to wind.

but like i said, it's rubber, even if it does hit, it will fold out of the way. the worst that would happen is the plastic snaps would break, and the lip would come partially unattached if you hit something BIG.

hamproof
07-22-2003, 10:15 AM
chunky - did you get this idea from the TSX Underbody review at www.vtec.net?

The reason why I'm asking is the reviewer commented that the front rubber spoiler as well as the spoiler aft of the wheels help aerodynamics.

If you are going to try to make these, you might want to consider making the ones in front of the wheels as well (as oppose to the rear of the wheels which would be called mudflaps).

chubbychu
07-22-2003, 10:19 AM
jeeze...i wanna get rid of that thing....lol...not get a bigger one. but i suppose it DOES do something. so depending on how it affects everything...we shall see.

Suk02Si
07-23-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by hamproof
chunky - did you get this idea from the TSX Underbody review at www.vtec.net?

The reason why I'm asking is the reviewer commented that the front rubber spoiler as well as the spoiler aft of the wheels help aerodynamics.

If you are going to try to make these, you might want to consider making the ones in front of the wheels as well (as oppose to the rear of the wheels which would be called mudflaps).

I saw the TSX review and thought it would be a cool idea.

esp the rear diffuser:cool: