PDA

View Full Version : what the hell is a "hub"

TrippZ
07-22-2003, 11:15 AM
okay, so I wrecked my car. car came back, right rear tire makes tons of noise. like... a hum. faster you go, the higher pitched and louder it gets.

I asked the mechanic, he said the "hub" was broken. My question is, what the hell is a hub?

:) thanks

stubbs
07-22-2003, 11:32 AM
The hub is the rotating mechanism that is connected to the spindle. The studs are normally connect or part of the hub. The hub will vibrate or rotate off balance if shot. If you have a bad hub you can often tell by jacking up the car and pushing and pulling on opposite sides of the wheel, the wheel will move.

TrippZ
07-22-2003, 02:42 PM
hmm

would the work required to put a new one in be hard?

what consequences would result in not replacing the hub? or driving at high speeds?

fkagti
07-22-2003, 02:52 PM
i wouldn't drive at high speeds for a long time. happened to my friend, he ended up losing the wheel and watching it roll past him as he tried to control his car. not fun.

SiRRider
07-22-2003, 03:08 PM
You may have a wheel bearing gone also from the impact. This creates a rooring sound when you accelerate to faster speeds. It is also located in the Hub. Maybe that is what he is talking about
????

TrippZ
07-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by fkagti
i wouldn't drive at high speeds for a long time. happened to my friend, he ended up losing the wheel and watching it roll past him as he tried to control his car. not fun.

:o

i was going 80 a few days ago

i think im just gonna stop driving till i get the thing fixed

do you think the work would be easy for me to do? i really dont want to spend any more money

stubbs
07-22-2003, 03:24 PM
It's very involved, but the cost in speciality tools you would need to buy and a good shop manual (www.helm.com if you need one) make it about even.

dchu
07-22-2003, 08:58 PM
The rear hubs aren't really hard to replace at all. Just remove the brakes and rotor. Then pop the cap off the hub covering the big spindle nut. You'll then need a breaker bar and large socket (32mm maybe?) to break the spindle nut loose. Once you have the nut off, just pull the hub off and replace with new one.

stubbs
07-23-2003, 10:51 AM
I have seen several people screw up their brake lines doing it, thats why I just payed to have my rear hub replaced, not worth the cost of messed up brakes to me.

dchu
07-23-2003, 02:06 PM
How do you screw up the brake lines? Unless you let the caliper hang by the brake line.... Replacing the rear hub is just about one more step then replacing the rotor.