PDA

View Full Version : HID's illegal for sale?!?

DoMahMeGok
07-22-2003, 04:32 PM
I was reading the accord v6 forum and I came across this
"ALL HID KITS to become illegal for sale 8/15 (Post #1 of 21)

A little bit of background. NHSTA/DOT has been trying to introduce new laws to regulate the sale of HID... well.. they just decided to BAN ALL HID KITS. They do not have a set regulation because HID does not use a filament.. therefore, no matter how accurate the HID kit is, it fails because of that ONE requirement. Well, DUH, HID has no filament, so it automatically fails.

After 8/15/2003, HID kits as you know it will never be sold again unless new laws are made. I'm sure there are all types of legal issues here,for one, this has all been done without anyone knowing. After 8/15/03, there will be a $5,000 fine PER DAY for vendors selling HID kits.

Therefore, I need to move out ALL my inventory.

All HID kits are now on sale on our website. Parts will still be available and warranties will still be honored after the above date. After 8/15, only parts sold for warranty purposes will be allowed.

You will begin seeing a LOT of HID vendors out there selling kits to move inventory, but we still stress the importance of going with Liteswap/Catz. I am not sure of the future of Liteswap, but Catz will always be there for your warranty and replacement needs.

Coupon codes will not be available in conjunction with these sale prices."

I was wondering if anyone knew if this is true or if this is just a trick to move out inventory.

super_si_45
07-22-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by DoMahMeGok
I was reading the accord v6 forum and I came across this
"ALL HID KITS to become illegal for sale 8/15 (Post #1 of 21)

A little bit of background. NHSTA/DOT has been trying to introduce new laws to regulate the sale of HID... well.. they just decided to BAN ALL HID KITS. They do not have a set regulation because HID does not use a filament.. therefore, no matter how accurate the HID kit is, it fails because of that ONE requirement. Well, DUH, HID has no filament, so it automatically fails.

After 8/15/2003, HID kits as you know it will never be sold again unless new laws are made. I'm sure there are all types of legal issues here,for one, this has all been done without anyone knowing. After 8/15/03, there will be a $5,000 fine PER DAY for vendors selling HID kits.

Therefore, I need to move out ALL my inventory.

All HID kits are now on sale on our website. Parts will still be available and warranties will still be honored after the above date. After 8/15, only parts sold for warranty purposes will be allowed.

You will begin seeing a LOT of HID vendors out there selling kits to move inventory, but we still stress the importance of going with Liteswap/Catz. I am not sure of the future of Liteswap, but Catz will always be there for your warranty and replacement needs.

Coupon codes will not be available in conjunction with these sale prices."

I was wondering if anyone knew if this is true or if this is just a trick to move out inventory.

Hey man, i was talking to some dallas police officers down here and we were actually talking about this the other day, yes, what you said is true, however, they said it wasnt going to be until a couple of months down the road until this took effect maybe even a year, unfortunately, bringin this up has certainly struck my attention deeper now that you have said something so I will research it more and get back to you.

HgSi
07-25-2003, 11:56 AM
It was always illegal to install HID kits on a street-driven car,* but they've been allowed for "off-road use." But I guess they found too many people driving around with 7500K purple lights, no high beams, and low beams with a poorly controlled beam pattern, so they decided to stop them at the source.

That's too bad, really, because I'm sure there were some pretty decent kits out there.

*Exception: For a model of car that has HIDs as a factory option, an individual car that wasn't purchased with that option may have factory HIDs installed by the dealer at a later date.

super_si_45
07-25-2003, 01:15 PM
only half way true, HID upgrades have always been illegal yes, enforced? no. however, they are talking of removing ALL HID's off the market INCLUDING factory installs, i.e. BMW's, mercedes's, Infiniti, S2000's, 350z's anything that has HID from the factory is what is in talks they are discussing removing them off for good. Law Enforcement agencies around the nation took a poll and the people complained that bright driving lights were the number 1 problem with motor vehicles today. therefore, they wont even come off the showroom anymore with this upgrade

StrangeShadow
07-26-2003, 08:35 AM
wtf like we can see with our crappy lights, I can barely see some 15 feet infront on me at night cause our lights suck so bad...I wouldn't get HID for looks, I would get them for visibility..geez

Zigen5
07-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Wow, that suxs... I was saving up to buy HiDs for my EP3... :( So what does that mean for the people who have HiDs from the factory? :confused:

StrangeShadow
07-26-2003, 09:02 AM
...you will still be able to buy them...if the law doesn't stop my nabors from selling and buying marijuana and meth...then it will hardly stop the sale of HIDs

super_si_45
07-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow
...you will still be able to buy them...if the law doesn't stop my nabors from selling and buying marijuana and meth...then it will hardly stop the sale of HIDs

hmmm, intelligent. sounds like some world class people those "nabors" of yours. sure, sure u will still be able to buy them, but if u can afford them, then the tickets u recieve day in and day out should be no problem then huh "big balla"

StrangeShadow
07-26-2003, 09:41 AM
lol I don't know, I think I'm just gonna wait this out and see what happens, I don't think that this will be a law that is really enforced if it comes to be.

super_si_45
07-26-2003, 09:46 AM
dude, just do what im gonna do, say fuck it! and buy them lol

siver-SI
07-28-2003, 08:42 PM
I can not see how they can tell the imports that they have to change their hole line for US made cars so that they do not have HID's in them. I know a lot of cars that are imported that come standered with them. I would think they should make the law if they are facotry done then they can be on, but they can not be after market. It is like my side tint since Honda installed it before I took delivery then my front side tint is legal, but if I added it after I took delivery in IL then it would be illegal.

super_si_45
07-29-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by siver-SI
I can not see how they can tell the imports that they have to change their hole line for US made cars so that they do not have HID's in them. I know a lot of cars that are imported that come standered with them. I would think they should make the law if they are facotry done then they can be on, but they can not be after market. It is like my side tint since Honda installed it before I took delivery then my front side tint is legal, but if I added it after I took delivery in IL then it would be illegal.

well thats just how it is man, yes it sucks, and yes, there are some american made cars that come standard with HID's also, cadillac's for one, shit sucks but like i said before im doin, i luckily live here in the dallas/fort worth area and its apparently not that bad at all compared to some of the horror stories iv heard from people up north.

BlackJDMep
07-29-2003, 08:49 AM
damn, that SUX! What is the world coming to? :rolleyes:

BlackJDMep
07-29-2003, 08:50 AM
HID

1 fstr si
07-29-2003, 08:04 PM
so, with this law being passed, since i already have an HID kit, does this mean i have to get rid of it? i hope not, cuz if i went back to my stock lights, i wouldnt be able to see anything. lemme know .......

Civicvtec1ps
07-29-2003, 08:55 PM
thats is just ridiculous.
how many freaking people have HID now?
ALOTTTTTTTTTTTT.
stupid law

jaepoori
08-01-2003, 09:17 PM
hmm my headlights seem to give out a good amount of light but when it rains it SUCKS ASS. i want the HID's, hope they have it so we can still get HID's...