PDA

View Full Version : Cut my bumpstops

cpu519
07-23-2003, 08:07 AM
BETTER method, read my last post below.

When I first installed my Progress springs, I didn't read the instructions but it does say to cut the bumpstops in half. I took my suspension off again and cut them down. The rear is easy, just trim the foam spacer in half. For the front, I cut off the middle donut and then used a tie wrap to hold it in place by attaching it to an upper spring coil.

What I didn't like about my car's ride previously is that the suspension would bottom out on freeway dips, expansion joints, humps in the road, it felt like my tires were leaving the pavement on the rebound. Not good at speed! Now it takes everything with no rebounding, the ride is 100% better. It still could use more travel. I don't think the bumpstops could be cut down further, but I did read that front Koni inserts can be shortened about 3/4". Maybe I'll try that if I decide to get Konis. The pic is somewhat hard to make out. I shined a flashlight at the tie wrap when I took the picture, you can barely see the attachment. All you need is to wrap the tie around the donut and an upper coil of the spring, don't tighten it fully yet. Then put another wrap so you make a noose around the donut, that prevents it from coming loose, then tighten everything up.

EP33
07-24-2003, 09:13 PM
I did the samethang! Rides good huh?

In the front, instead of a tie wrap, I used a small section of the rear "foamy" bump stop opened up a little. When the suspension compresses, the "foamy" holds the dust boot up to the top of the strut. It also cushions the bottoming when that happens too.

cpu519
07-25-2003, 12:30 AM
Good idea EP33! How much of the front bumpstop did you cut off?

EP33
07-25-2003, 11:22 AM
I cut the "doughnut" closest to the ground, or the lower doughnut. I am thinking about cutting the upper one too, but then I'll have to come up with another type of bump stop.

The added wheel travel helps so damn much. All lowered EPs should have this done.

ssvr6
07-25-2003, 12:03 PM
I had mine done, but then again, I was reading the instructions. :)

Steve

cpu519
07-25-2003, 12:40 PM
I guess reading comes in handy sometimes. I might cut off the upper donut, that will leave the lower one available to still use a tie wrap. I think one donut will be good enough for the front. Then I'll cut down the rear some more if possible, those are easy. You're right, you can't have too much travel. Where are you located EP33?

EP33
07-26-2003, 02:00 AM
909 Riverside.

I'm all over the place though:D

cpu519
11-15-2003, 07:51 AM
I had my front suspension off and had an opportunity to come up with a better method of holding the dustboot up instead of the ghetto tie wrap method I used earlier. Get some grips from a bmx bike and cut off the flanges. The flanges fit inside the dustboot and hold it up nice and tight.