PDA

View Full Version : Suspension on unfortunately leased vehicle

TheNewGuy
07-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Guys,

I have a bit of a problem. I want to lower my '03 vivid blue Si, considering I have 17" wheels and a list of other mods. The only problem is, my dad bought the car, or should I say leased. I know what you're thinking, you have everything handed to you...but in all reality I pay for the car, insurance, etc. It was just cheaper for his name to be on everything, considering he's a retired cop and insurance for him is dirt cheap. If I drop my car on the lease, can I return it to the original stock height when its time to turn it in, or should I just go down to the dealership and ask to switch plans? Which do you think would be easier, if any of you work at dealerships, I'm sure you could give me some kind of an idea. Thanks

andy
07-23-2003, 05:16 PM
I think you're going to be paying a fairly hefty penalty for
terminating your lease early (if that's what you mean by
"switching" plans).

The only trouble with changing the stock suspension (currently)
is the lack of shocks made for the Si. You could just plan
on replacing the OEM ones when you take the aftermarket
springs off of your car, or you could just go for a complete
setup (i.e. Mugen's or KW coilovers, each about $1K) and then
return it to stock when you are done. A couple guys here have
done their own spring installs in ~4 hrs - could probably be
done quicker with a friend and a lift.

glw
07-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by TheNewGuy
Guys,

I have a bit of a problem. I want to lower my '03 vivid blue Si, considering I have 17" wheels and a list of other mods. The only problem is, my dad bought the car, or should I say leased. I know what you're thinking, you have everything handed to you...but in all reality I pay for the car, insurance, etc. It was just cheaper for his name to be on everything, considering he's a retired cop and insurance for him is dirt cheap. If I drop my car on the lease, can I return it to the original stock height when its time to turn it in, or should I just go down to the dealership and ask to switch plans? Which do you think would be easier, if any of you work at dealerships, I'm sure you could give me some kind of an idea. Thanks you can just buy the vehicle at the end of the lease or you can go to your bank and get a used car loan for the amount of the lease buy out and sell it to yourself. i did that with the only leased car i ever had. the only problem is if the car's value is less than the lease buy out amount - you may have to make up the difference.

02TafWhtSi
07-24-2003, 04:23 PM
Go with a full coilover set or the Mugen shock/spring kit (which is what I'm getting). This way you can easily replace the OEM spring/shock unit when you have to turn it in. Yeah it'll cost more now but it'll save you much time and aggravation in the future ;)