PDA

View Full Version : 16" VS. 17" -any difference?

02TafWhtSi
06-21-2002, 04:27 PM
I'm seriously considering replacing my stock tires/wheels withe larger, stickier ones. is there any difference other then the necessary tire size between 16" and 17"? I.E., is acceleration slower w/ 17's? Are 16's not as good for cornering?

punkdork
06-21-2002, 04:49 PM
There are so many variables that get into a lot of physics that I know vary little about. A few things that come into play are rotational inertia and unsprung weight.

Rotational inertia is what's going to zap your acceleration. The more weight the farther from the center, the more it takes to bring them up to speed. So even if a 16" and 17" wheel have the same weights, depending on the distribution of the mass will most likely give you slower acceleration.

As far as handling goes, often going up a size in rims you also get a wider tire (and thus contact patch) and normally a smaller side wall, both of these can give benefits but there is such thing as too much of a good thing.

Along with the above is the unsprung weight issue (the wheel, tire, brake, etc assembly... everything that moves up and down on the suspension). The more weight you have the harder the suspension is going to have to work. With stock suspension you're going to probably overpower it and possibly counter your handling gains from bigger contact patch and smaller sidewall.

So what I'm saying is there are a LOT of factors and no simple answer. Someone correct me if I'm off base here.

xlr8
06-21-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by punkdork
There are so many variables that get into a lot of physics that I know vary little about. A few things that come into play are rotational inertia and unsprung weight.

Rotational inertia is what's going to zap your acceleration. The more weight the farther from the center, the more it takes to bring them up to speed. So even if a 16" and 17" wheel have the same weights, depending on the distribution of the mass will most likely give you slower acceleration.

As far as handling goes, often going up a size in rims you also get a wider tire (and thus contact patch) and normally a smaller side wall, both of these can give benefits but there is such thing as too much of a good thing.

Along with the above is the unsprung weight issue (the wheel, tire, brake, etc assembly... everything that moves up and down on the suspension). The more weight you have the harder the suspension is going to have to work. With stock suspension you're going to probably overpower it and possibly counter your handling gains from bigger contact patch and smaller sidewall.

So what I'm saying is there are a LOT of factors and no simple answer. Someone correct me if I'm off base here.
thats the best answer ive heard for that question. imo 17s are the way to go, but as stated weight is a very important issue. one thing not included in the above post is, 1 pound resipicating mass=7 pounds stationary mass. i read that in an old hotrod. basicly meaning any part that moves you want to be as light as possible to gain max performance

02TafWhtSi
06-21-2002, 07:18 PM
thanks guys - that cleared things up for me!

HondaMan
06-21-2002, 11:37 PM
Go with 17 inch wheels, I think they are just right for our cars.

02TafWhtSi
06-22-2002, 09:59 AM
Really? I kinda thought that a 16" wrapped with a 215/50/16 tire would be the perfect compromise between ride and handling. The tire size for the 17" is 215/45/17 which might be a little too rough on choppy roads. Is the difference in handling that much bigger for the 17's then?

HondaMan
06-22-2002, 01:14 PM
They ride well for me and don't seem much worse than the OEM wheels and tires, but 16 inch wheels that have 215/60/16 will probably give the same kind of handling/traction as my 215/45/17. Just my 2 cents. ;)

barcode
06-24-2002, 11:36 AM
but which will LOOK better? (17's, of course)

02TafWhtSi
06-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Thats definitely true - 16's will NEVER look better even though they have their own advantages - thats why you see 19's on show cars - not realistic for daily driving though