PDA

View Full Version : New and Improved Problems!

02NJHondaep3
07-23-2003, 04:06 PM
So I'm driving to a local shop.I take a left turn and my friend tells me he hears a clicking noise. I immediately think its the right front cv joint. I drive slowly and carefully back home without any problems.

The next day, I go to rotate my tires because at my 14K check up Honda decided to rotate them when i told them not to. I notice my car rolls a bit with the e-brake up. Not a problem, I'll have that tightened when I have my cv joint checked out. If thats what it is.

As I'm putting the last lug on, it snaps, taking the whole thread with it.

So loose e-brake, clicking Cv joint(?) and now a broken lug.

Any suggestions of how I should approach my Honda Dealer? They hate me as it is. Also is it covered by warranty?

siver-SI
07-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Every now and then I get a cluck out of my right CV joint and I have not lowered my car yet. It will do it mostly when doing a sharp turn but did do it once doing about 60 going strait. I am not to sure what is causing it.

Brettnyt
07-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Ouch man, that blows, i dunno if it will be covered by waranty, they will say that the lug was pressured too much..

kingxchat
07-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Every now and then I get a cluck out of my right CV joint and I have not lowered my car yet. It will do it mostly when doing a sharp turn but did do it once doing about 60 going strait. I am not to sure what is causing it.
i have the same problem but i lowered my car

02NJHondaep3
07-24-2003, 12:08 AM
The funny part is soon i'm lowering my car.

02TafWhtSi
07-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Broken/stripped studs are the worst! I had one strip on my last Civic and its a bitch to replace!! I finally just had my dealership do the job.

mikkellucci
07-24-2003, 05:56 PM
I just snapped 2 (YES TWO) lugs on the left rear of my EP on Sunday. I was installing my KWs and out of no where snapped the 2 lugs.
If you snapped the rears, you are in luck! All you should need to do is remove the caliper. You can then pound the lug studs out and gain just enough clearance to fit the new studs in. I did not need a press or anything to get the new lugs in. It just took a metal rod, small sledge hammer, and lots of patience to get the lug studs 100% thru.
If you snapped the fronts, I cant help ya. I heard you need a press for those ones..... :(

spydur
07-24-2003, 06:15 PM
I don't mean to sound like a "smart ass", but were you using a torque wrench when you tightened your lug nuts? If not, I would suggest that you use one in the future.

siver-SI
07-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by spydur
I don't mean to sound like a "smart ass", but were you using a torque wrench when you tightened your lug nuts? If not, I would suggest that you use one in the future.

I am wondering the same thing since this is not the only post about some one snaping a stud off the car. I am going to lower my car and just for that I bought 2 new torque wrenches because the one I had was about 6-8 years old and I do not know even how accureate it is any more. The reason for 2 was because I wanted electronic models and how they go is 5-100 and 5-250 and the 250 is big so I got the smaller one for tieght places. Now when I add my hondata gasket I am not going to be worried about messing it up do to under or over torquing.

mikkellucci
07-24-2003, 06:33 PM
My rear lugs were OVER TORQUED and NOT by me. I was lucky to get them off only breaking two. Yeah, I was taking them off when 2 snapped...
Thanks for adding that bit of knowledge to this dudes post :p

siver-SI
07-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Let me quess some one that just used a air gun on them. Those impact guns can go up to 250 LBS of torque. I have seen shops take these to rims and I am just shocked that they do not dammage are rims or brake a stud.

mikkellucci
07-24-2003, 06:54 PM
Yes, that is why I HATE taking my cars anywhere to get any type of work done. It killed me to take the EP and get it aligned this week....And no doubt, the f'ers scratched one of my nice conical red lugs.
Want something done right, DIY. Too bad their are just some things you are forced to pay to get done. s u c k s

02NJHondaep3
07-24-2003, 11:48 PM
So i went to honda and their booked for the next 2 weeks. Luckily the lady fit me in tomorrow though since she understands my problem. I used the gold wrench that came with the car. I didn't use a power gun. My friend said even with those guns its hard to break them off. I'm not stupid. I just do stupid things somtimes. Just not this time. Its a good thing i didnt lower it or else they would've bitched me.

sonic imperial
07-25-2003, 07:45 AM
I only let Honda deal with taking off my rims/ tire rotations/etc. So if they break it, it's their fault.

BlackNRedSi
07-25-2003, 08:11 AM
i just tell my mechanic NOT to use a Torque gun on my lugs...I tell him if i have to pay a difference in price thats fine...

Then ill stay there, and when the car goes in, i make sure they dont use the gun....

i know its nit picking but i aint having someone rip up my rims due to using too much pounds of torque...

02NJHondaep3
07-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Dealer replaced cv joint, new lugs, and tightened e-brake free of any charges. I love my dealer

Nothing to see here folks, move on your way:D

siver-SI
07-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by mikkellucci
Yes, that is why I HATE taking my cars anywhere to get any type of work done.

I have to agree. I am buying a lot in tools right now at work just so I do not have to deal with the shops. I all most have enought to tear down my car and rebiuld it right now. Only problem is that my craftman tool chests are not liking the the heavy Snap-on tools. LOL I do not not like shops much anymore. My dealer is not to happy when I wait for my car since I will hang around the shop area and not inside the waiting room since my dealership is little you can see it all while staying out of the way of the shop guys.