PDA

View Full Version : Civic Si Test Drive Impressions

spydur
07-24-2003, 12:22 PM
I just completed a test drive without a saleman riding shootgun.

These are my impressions:
Engine was a little stonger than I expected - 2nd and 3rd gears are fun. (A Type R must be a real treat!)
Love the location of the shifter and the shortness of shifts.
Steering is tight, but lacks a little feel.
The tires have way too soft of sidewalls, one can definately feel the softness in an sweeping curve.
The car feels like it is has too much suspension rebound.
Love the roominess of the EP.
Stereo is OK

In making my comments, my measurement standard is my stock 1988 SRX Si. It would be interesting to drive a new Si with proper wheels/tyres and lower springs!

TrippZ
07-24-2003, 12:58 PM
go for it 8-) i went from a 94 capri to a 02 si, one HELL of a difference, let me say

BSEVEER
07-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Just curious what you mean by "the car has too much suspension rebound"

EP3_DC5
07-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Wheels/tires/springs made a huge difference in handling and cornering I think. It feels like a different car with them on IMO. The stock tires are garbage. I think that the steering is actually pretty responsive, feels nice IMO, and you get nice feedback (it's not overboosted).

spydur
07-24-2003, 01:42 PM
BESEVEER:

When going over pavement undulations, the suspension has too much bounce - (could be due to the taller springs and ride height).

AlBlueCar
07-24-2003, 02:20 PM
Well my friend, you got good taste. I picked my up in January and loved it and drove it for hours everyday just because. It's a nice little mode of transportation stock, but once you get intake, header, shocks, and springs, it is a completely different car. It seems to me that this is what an Si should be- tastefully designed, good powerband (though couple thousand more revs wouldn't hurt-but that's what Hondata's for), and a nice firm suspension.
So- as a stock car it is a good way to get around.
As a tuned car, it's an awesome way to get around.

02TafWhtSi
07-24-2003, 03:59 PM
I agree with your first impression - mine were similar. Mods make all the difference on this car I have found (esp. suspension) ;)

Brettnyt
07-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Stereo Okay? When i have it set up for the sound I prefer, i cannot turn it up past 3 bars... It can be on the highest point of the 3 bars, but no higher or i get distortion and stuff... Ah, i guess it isnt too bad... Could def use some upgrades tho... Im just used to the Harmon Kardon or wutever in the BMW, the Infinity in the Jeep, and the Mach in the Mustang... Those three sound pretty good so im just not hearin the bass i desire in the civic... Oh well, what can you expect, i still love my car to death and play my tunes proudly.. :D

BSEVEER
07-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Well I agree with everything you said except for the suspension having too much rebound or bounce. That just doesn't make sense to me.

AlBlueCar
07-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Metinks he meanit that the stock suspension, it makeit car bounce too much.

BSEVEER
07-24-2003, 11:13 PM
Maybe what he meant to say was that he doesn't think it has enough rebound dampening. IDK

hamproof
07-25-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by spydur

Love the location of the shifter and the shortness of shifts.

Move the shifter? I don't think you can find anyone here who would want the shifter moved. It may be strange at first but this is one thing I wish all MT cars will locate the shifter.

kenis138
07-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Hamproof, read that post again...

hamproof
07-25-2003, 10:26 AM
kenis - thanks for correcting me. I swear I read it as "Move..." rather than "Love..."

StrangeShadow
07-25-2003, 10:41 AM
Well I agree with everything you said except for the suspension having too much rebound or bounce. That just doesn't make sense to me.
I think I know what he means...try hitting an intersection...where it's sortof elivated compared to the road on both sides of it...you will bounce up and down...with stock suspension...like you're sitting next to the driver of a via bus(I tried that once). Other than that the cornering is pretty good, probably 10x times better onec better suspension is put in.

kadafi
07-25-2003, 01:59 PM
for the first 3 months i have the car.
i ride it on a set of nokian ice tire(stock size)....
no fun at all..

now i'm riding on a set of OZ superleggera 17" + kumho mx 215/45/17...

man.....you can't believe it's the same car...feels so much better on cornering......:D

EPHatchgirl
07-25-2003, 03:40 PM
If you thought THAT shift gait was short, wait 'til you get the shortshift adapter on there!!!