PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gut their interior TOTALLY?

02SiHB
07-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Just curious who has taken out EVERYTHING except for maybe front seats. I know I'm ripping that piece up soon as it's paid off. :cool:

MYEP3
07-24-2003, 06:36 PM
i've ripped out most of my interior. except from the fronts seats up. I will never put it back in. I have gutted everyone of my cars and I love not haveing anyhting back there. Notice a big diffrence.

02SiHB
07-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by MYEP3
i've ripped out most of my interior. except from the fronts seats up. I will never put it back in. I have gutted everyone of my cars and I love not haveing anyhting back there. Notice a big diffrence.

Really? That's awesome... Any rules against that inspection/saftey wise that anyone knows of?

By the way, have any pics?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
07-24-2003, 07:17 PM
I've removed my front seat, and beleive it or not you can notice a difference in acceleration...that seats pretty damn heavy.

Now if only i wasnt 6'6" 350 lbs....
I wouldnt even need a turbo...hahaha
:D

Type X
07-24-2003, 11:03 PM
cmk did it on staten island ;)

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/57/D9/20489559-aadc-028001E0-.jpg

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/6E/DA/20489582-a483-028001E0-.jpg

ssvr6
07-25-2003, 05:06 AM
It was done on my site as well for a stereo install.

http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_INTERIOR_1

Steve

oogy-boogy
07-25-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
I've removed my front seat, and beleive it or not you can notice a difference in acceleration...that seats pretty damn heavy.

Now if only i wasnt 6'6" 350 lbs....
I wouldnt even need a turbo...hahaha
:D

:eek:

Jeez......I wish you were closer to MA!

I need a new defensive lineman for my football team.

StrangeShadow
07-28-2003, 08:33 AM
I might rip out the back today...still debating...I never carry anyone in my car...so I really don't care to have the back seats in...anyone know if this will really help?

bmx269
07-28-2003, 10:13 AM
I took my whole back out, left spare, and the front interior. I am leaving the back door (hatch) cover as it hides the lock.

BSEVEER
07-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Not worth it to me. It totally ruins the looks of the interior of the car just to shead about 80lbs.

StrangeShadow
07-28-2003, 11:43 AM
I can't seam to find how to get ALL of my back seat out.
- I got the part that you sit on out.
- Need help getting the part that rotates down out, the back par w/the head rests.

BTW just wondering, what is the big beam across the car, infront of the back seat for?

10lbs=1hp
80lbs=8hp
:p

dw735
07-28-2003, 12:44 PM
if you fold the seats down, look where the two seats are seperated. There is this black plastic piece that covers the bolts. Once you take that plastic off, take the bolts off, then you are home free. I think it is between the two seats at the bottom. Pry that sucker off.

I am in process of gutting everything to light weight windows, battery, no back seat, tire, jack, tools, no front passenger seat, lightweight driver seat, no glove department, no center plastic piece(ebrake) and any other plastic i can get off. My goal is to shed 500 lbs. but it is gonna take a lot of money.

StrangeShadow
07-28-2003, 04:32 PM
thanks a lot, is it street legal to drive with no passeger seat?
that way I can take that one out too, plus I wont have to worry about ppl trying to bumb a ride off me:D

dw735
07-28-2003, 08:33 PM
i really dont know, that is a good question. I would just take mine off for the strip. hey pm me if you know the answer

StrangeShadow
07-29-2003, 10:35 PM
if you fold the seats down, look where the two seats are seperated. There is this black plastic piece that covers the bolts. Once you take that plastic off, take the bolts off, then you are home free. I think it is between the two seats at the bottom. Pry that sucker off.
Is it possible to get this off w/out breaking the black plastic? cause I yanked the thing everywhere and couldn't get it off.

BSEVEER
07-31-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow

10lbs=1hp
80lbs=8hp

8hp more and an interior that looks like shit, still not worth it to me.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
07-31-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow

10lbs=1hp
80lbs=8hp

That would mean if i was normal sized i'd pick up 20hp.
I highly doubt that.

bmx269
07-31-2003, 10:12 PM
I has been proven that every 100lbs is 1/10th of a second in 1/4 time.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-01-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by bmx269
I has been proven that every 100lbs is 1/10th of a second in 1/4 time.

B.S.

Here's how that equation holds no water.

If you drop 100 lbs from a 7500 lb truck, will it drop a full 0.10 sec?
If you drop 100 lbs from a 500 lb dragster, will it only drop 0.10 sec?

I DO NOT THINK SO.

That statement is TOO BROAD, there are many determining factors such as the wieght of the car, the original E.T., etc.

bmx269
08-01-2003, 08:24 AM
do a search on the web, forget it i will and post links.

bmx269
08-01-2003, 08:46 AM
Ok, put it this way in simple physics. In the world of golf, there are many different types of golf balls, some have different compounds, some have liquids in them, but all of the high end balls share one characteristic, the are lighter then an stock run of the mill golf ball.

Why?

In physics we learn about energy transfer. One object transfers the kinetic energy to another, causing motion from that object, in this case the energy from the golf club is transfered to the ball. The less energy that is lost from things like friction, and weight, the more energy is transfered and the more energy that is effectively used to make the ball travel further. So if the golf ball was made of lead, the energy loss would be greater on the object and cause it to lose its power faster. The loss of power is called "drag". This is the main concept with "drag" racing. Trying to get the most efficient energy transfer and propel the car with the least amount of effort. So taking your big 7500 lb truck, removing some weight from it, will increase the weight to power ratio, which in turn will make the truck easier to propel and in turn faster. So say the truck is running at a 17.0et with the power gain from the weight reduction, it is quite possible for the truck to make some time and even run a 16.9et.

I have friends that all they do is drag race, from their experience the 100lb 1/10th rule has held its own. You may have your own opinion as to the exact time gain, but you can't argue the simple physics of it.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-01-2003, 09:07 AM
Ok, put it this way in simple physics. In the world of golf, there are many different types of golf balls, some have different compounds, some have liquids in them, but all of the high end balls share one characteristic, the are lighter then an stock run of the mill golf ball.

Why?

In physics we learn about energy transfer. One object transfers the kinetic energy to another, causing motion from that object, in this case the energy from the golf club is transfered to the ball. The less energy that is lost from things like friction, and weight, the more energy is transfered and the more energy that is effectively used to make the ball travel further. So if the golf ball was made of lead, the energy loss would be greater on the object and cause it to lose its power faster. The loss of power is called "drag". This is the main concept with "drag" racing. Trying to get the most efficient energy transfer and propel the car with the least amount of effort. So taking your big 7500 lb truck, removing some weight from it, will increase the weight to power ratio, which in turn will make the truck easier to propel and in turn faster. So say the truck is running at a 17.0et with the power gain from the weight reduction, it is quite possible for the truck to make some time and even run a 16.9et.

I have friends that all they do is drag race, from their experience the 100lb 1/10th rule has held its own. You may have your own opinion as to the exact time gain, but you can't argue the simple physics of it.

I CAN argue the simple physics of it.
That is EXACTLY where your equation is flawed.
For Example:
It will take ALOT more power (ie: less weight) to drop 0.1 sec off a car/truck that weighs 7500 lbs VERSUS a car/truck that weighs 2500 lbs.

There are no "Opinions" in physics.

bmx269
08-01-2003, 09:14 AM
I see your point, but we are not talking about 7500 lb EP's, 2800 lbs is more like it. so taking 200 lbs out if a 2800 lb car can make it a lot quicker. Now remember, I mentioned weight to power ratio. You said 7500 lbs, not mention of the horsepower, so if the 7500 lb truck had enough power to move the truck easily, removing some weight would make it faster. correct? Ratio... on average the engine is balanced to the car's weight, not an engine for a 2500 lb car in a 7500 lb truck.

This argument is fun.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-01-2003, 09:36 AM
I see your point, but we are not talking about 7500 lb EP's, 2800 lbs is more like it. so taking 200 lbs out if a 2800 lb car can make it a lot quicker. Now remember, I mentioned weight to power ratio. You said 7500 lbs, not mention of the horsepower, so if the 7500 lb truck had enough power to move the truck easily, removing some weight would make it faster. correct? Ratio... on average the engine is balanced to the car's weight, not an engine for a 2500 lb car in a 7500 lb truck.

This argument is fun.

Oh OK, so now we're ONLY talking about ep's?!
I guess your drag racing "friends" you brought up before to "prove" your case, all drive ep's?
This is exactly why i'm challenging your "formula", it's simply too broad.
I could see if you said, "In a 3000 lb car that runs 15.8, with driver error not a factor, removing 100 lbs of weight will decrease your E.T. by approximately 0.1 sec."
But that's not what you said.
Your statement was a complete generalization that did not take into account many factors that have a direct influence on E.T.

Above, You just made an argument for MY POINT w/o even knowing it.
*Horsepower*, yet another factor found NOWHERE in your equation.
Are we talking 150hp cars or 1500hp cars?
Because it is a *FACT* (<~~i like to deal w/ those) that the more power a car makes, the harder it is (more hp needed) to lower your E.T.
For example:
Adding 20hp to a 120hp civic may drop your E.T. by approx. 0.4 sec.
Whereas adding 20hp to a 1800hp top fuel dragster may drop your E.T. by approx. 0.0004 sec.

I can go on and on, but this argument is just ridiculous, if you took a second to think about what you said you'd realize something amazing....I'm right, You're wrong.... :D

Not trying to sound "cocky" or act like a "dick", but i've learned a thing or two in the past 10 yrs. about drag racing, and i've heard ALL the generalizations, none of which can hold water under ALL circumstances.

---Adam---

bmx269
08-01-2003, 09:42 AM
True, I can agree with the fact that it is not in ALL instances. My bad, but you have to agree with the facts that weight reduction WILL make you faster.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-01-2003, 10:12 AM
True, I can agree with the fact that it is not in ALL instances. My bad, but you have to agree with the facts that weight reduction WILL make you faster.

It sure will!
Doesnt take a scientist to notice your car's slower when you have a passenger.
Just think, I have to drive around with that feeling constantly because i'm the size of 2 average adult men...haha.
Now if i could get back down to my H.S. weight of 210lbs I'd be a happy man...:D

bmx269
08-01-2003, 10:21 AM
We could all lose some weight, but really, as long as we are healthy, its probably not a bad thing.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-01-2003, 10:29 AM
We could all lose some weight, but really, as long as we are healthy, its probably not a bad thing.

Getting back to "physics":

Healthy or not, it's sad that i'm 6'6" and cant even dunk a basketball anymore...lol...That is my goal...I dont care if i'm still 270 lb when this excess weight is off me, as long as i can dunk. hahaha

BSEVEER
08-01-2003, 11:01 AM
Just body slam the pole and bring it down a little, j/k

BSEVEER
08-01-2003, 11:01 AM
Just body slam the pole and bring it down a little, j/k

StrangeShadow
08-01-2003, 01:00 PM
hehe...I rolled around for a week with the back interrior gutted and on an empty tank...then I put all back in plus filled my tank, and WOW, did that ever slow me down.
I leave the interrior in now, probably wont take it out unless I go to the track, and usually run on a 1/4 tank of gas...for ciy driving I'm told it wastes less gas because the car is halling less wieght. ;)

HighinTheSi
08-12-2003, 05:43 PM
would anybody be interested in selling me their right interior door panel mine seems 2 have faded from cleaning it and id like a new one if anybody would like 2 make a few quick dollers, Thanx Adam

cmk05
08-13-2003, 11:06 AM
thanks mike - now everyone will know that i am a slob.

the car has been re-assembled and i had only 1 bolt leftover! i just said forget it and had a beer.

StrangeShadow
08-15-2003, 11:56 PM
lol -
:eek: looks at all the trash in his car!!! :confused: j/k

btw how's the power crisis thing gong for you guys?

oldschoolimport
08-17-2003, 12:44 AM
man, all I have is a seat, a momo wheel, shifter, e-brake handle, and ecu in mine.:D

oh, I'm on ephatch, sorry, thats in my crx!!!!!!!!!:o

gypsy
08-29-2003, 09:43 AM
So...how do you get the black plastic clip inbetween the rear seats out, without breaking it? Anyone? I've pushed and pulled but my gf don't want it broken.

BlasTech
08-29-2003, 10:43 AM
The "clip" that covers the joint is not what you should go after until the seats are out.

Start with the small plastic Panel that covers the bolts on the 60% seat. It pops off pretty easily. Remove those two bolts, the the seat can be removed.

My .02 on weight reduciton:

Let's put together a torque-to-weight ratio for our EP's ala GranTurismo. I think thats a good way to compare it to other cars.

I also want to drop lbs from my car for handling (lateral/stopping) advantages as well as efficiency.

StrangeShadow
08-29-2003, 02:21 PM
So...how do you get the black plastic clip inbetween the rear seats out, without breaking it? Anyone? I've pushed and pulled but my gf don't want it broken.
haha that's where I was about a month ago.

StrangeShadow
08-29-2003, 02:24 PM
The "clip" that covers the joint is not what you should go after until the seats are out.

Start with the small plastic Panel that covers the bolts on the 60% seat. It pops off pretty easily. Remove those two bolts, the the seat can be removed.

My .02 on weight reduciton:

Let's put together a torque-to-weight ratio for our EP's ala GranTurismo. I think thats a good way to compare it to other cars.

I also want to drop lbs from my car for handling (lateral/stopping) advantages as well as efficiency.
wow, I needed that a month ago...hehe...maybe I'll try again this weekend.