PDA

View Full Version : Touch up paint

redronin22
07-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Touch up paint.... worth the effort or pointless...?

so cal roads are a shame near my work place. Every street is a hidious n rock chip infected war zone. I washed my car this week n found 4 NEW chips in the paint. 3 bumper 1 door. so my question is should i bother with it? or just say f' it n leave it as badges of honor in daily driving?

87gn
07-25-2003, 09:37 PM
well its worth it if you do it right, if you just apply it its going to look like ass. personally ive gotten use to chips, dings, and dents so i dont sweat them any more but what can you really do to protect your car? not to much shits going to happin. you think rocks are bad i caught a ground hog in my intercooler once:(

hondafiend02
07-25-2003, 09:58 PM
lol thats some funny shyt groundhog??really lol .........i live in soCAl too and yea its ruff---i say go to the dealer and get the right touch up paint go anywher else and it will look like crap-MAKE SURE TO GO TO THE DEALER FOR PAINT!!

87gn
07-25-2003, 11:58 PM
lol thats some funny shyt groundhog??really lol .........

my cars old stock mount intercooler had a big scoop under the nose of the car for the intercooler, the poor little bastard got launched up the scoop and most of the soft parts went through the fins (moven at around 70) tore the hell out of the ic and the hamburger hit the fan (literally, some of the sucker got strained through the intercooler and hit the fan) biggest mess that ive ever had to clean up

hondafiend02
07-26-2003, 12:04 AM
lol is that why u have that avatar ?? in his memory lol

87gn
07-26-2003, 12:10 AM
ummmm, lol, i dont know how to tell you this. thats not a ground hog, thats a ricester:D

hondafiend02
07-26-2003, 12:21 AM
lol

cbecker333
07-26-2003, 07:01 AM
I've been loving that avatar too....anyway about the touch-up paint; I have the honda touch-up paint and it does help make the chips less obvious. Best thing you can do is get the touch-up paint in there so its filling the hole and then once its dry have your dealer or a body shop do about 30 seconds of buffing to smooth out the touch-up spot so its even with your clear coat.

What sucks is that the brush they give you has big bushy bristles and is too messy for fixing smaller chips. I solved that by cutting the tip of the bristles diagonally to create a smaller, more precise tip.

Best of luck;)

bao_pay
07-26-2003, 07:06 AM
guys... theres actually a film you can buy to protect your car that will save you from the headaches of stone chips and dents without making your car look like ass. There was an old issue of sport compact car that featured a subaru impreza with a clear film coat that went along the bottom portion of all the pannels surrounding the car so it didn't get all scratched up when driving over mountains. Its like vinyl I thinkg but its clear and dosen't weight half as much. Plus you can peel it off and put a new one on anytime. Going to check it out tonight because i'm getting a little paranoid myself. If you want to know the name of it pm me.

hondafiend02
07-30-2003, 12:36 AM
yeah i read bout that but it looks expensive