PDA

View Full Version : My attempt for a Mugen EP on the cheap...

SiR Medic
07-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Finally, I had a vision of what I want my EP to be...

I'm thinking of a "Mugen Lite" version of this...

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/images/projects/civicsi/king_si_05.jpg

Now I'm not even gonna try to match this, but I want to get something close without breaking the bank.

Let me know what you think of this...

Mugen (replica) wing
16" Rota Slipstreams, Circuit 8's OR 17" Konig Helium (bronze, of course)
Some sort of splitter or lip for the front
Grillcraft Diamond grill insert
Mugen suspension upgrade
Neuspeed front strut bar
Neuspeed rear lower tie bar
Brembo OEM size slotted and drilled front rotors
Injen SRI (already got)
02blkSi's grounding cables (on the way)
Nokya billet aluminum brake pedals (on the way)
All the Mugen engine stuff I can get my mitts on (socks, oil cap, rad cap etc)
Headers (undecided what type yet)
Cat-back exhaust (undecided what type)

I would like everybody's HONEST and CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. And hey, if any of you photochoppers want to take a go at it... I would be ever so greatful!

bratkat64
07-27-2003, 08:28 PM
I think that sounds good. I also like Mugen but the price is a total turnoff. I personally like the styling of this one (not the front, but the rest of the outside)

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/12/civicsiconcept03_02_800.jpg

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/12/civicsiconcept03_04_800.jpg

redronin22
07-27-2003, 09:08 PM
what are the rims on the red car?

fyzm7357
07-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
02blkSi's grounding cables (on the way)

What do you mean "on the way?" Mine have been "on the way" for almost three months.....do you have an inside track?

Suk02Si
07-28-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by redronin22

They look like the TSX wheels :o

f1fever
07-28-2003, 01:19 AM
Medic~ You call your list "on the cheap..."?

That's a lot of $$ you are about to put in.
But, NICE, VERY NICE!! I am looking forward to see your EP.

bratkat64
07-28-2003, 05:08 AM
Heh well it's cheaper than what it could be. If he wanted to really stay on the cheap side he wouldn't do anything with the car. ; )

I tried to stay on the "cheap side" and have now spent... hrmm.. well over $700 on my car and my list of mods is quite pathetic.

audomatik
07-28-2003, 06:12 AM
if you're going to go all "Mugen" then why have the Rota Slipstreams as a possible wheel option? Circuit 8s would be the best choice. As for the exhaust system, I'd go with the DC Twin Canister Loop deal, kinda like the Mugen one (which i think isn't even produced for our cars ... yet)
If so-called EP is gonna be a Mugen style car? Why waste money on cheaper parts? Why not just save up and buy the real deal. Atleast it'll make you feel better knowing you have the real shit rather then some other parts. It seems like the only real stuff you're putting on their is the $1000 suspension and the under hood dress-up stuff...
Whatever, just my $0.02

bratkat64
07-28-2003, 06:40 AM
Well I could care less if something is imported or domestic. I just go after what I like. Perhaps he chose what he likes and is therefore buying those. I mean, I'd personally go all Honda if I could just because I like their style, but they don't have a large variety of things for the car. It's either JDM or OEM. But I see where you are coming from. I would go somewhat Mugen if I had the cash.

staticflo
07-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by redronin22

Thats Honda's concept Si, so i doubt those rims are available, i read in the new SS that Honda is going to release the FP line for the Si and the picture was of the Type R wheels! So we should be able to get them soon, o another thing about the concept car, its turbo......:p

stephen
07-28-2003, 01:01 PM
the mugen suspension upgrade is nice.

upgrade front and rear bars as well.

go with 16 inch circuit 8's with some better rubber. i'm partial to azeni's, which won't break the bank... or toyo proxes, if the money is there.

upgrade to big brakes in the front.

don't worry about all that ricey engine stuff.

SiR Medic
07-28-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by fyzm7357

What do you mean "on the way?" Mine have been "on the way" for almost three months.....do you have an inside track?

Gettin' em second hand from bushido!;) HA!

I do like the Circuit 8's over the Slipstreams... But I do like the simpleness of the slips.

As far as "ricey engine stuff" a few bucks on an imitaition Mugen oil cap certainly isn't gonna break me, and the socks are what $12?

I DO want the Mugen suspension though, I was considering the Tein basic dampers, but when I can get Mugen for the same price, and not have to worry about camber correction...

BlasTech
07-28-2003, 02:46 PM
I'd say go with the 16" Circuit 8's!

icegrill
07-28-2003, 07:22 PM
I think your kind of crazy. How is all that stuff you list like a mugen ep? I'd say keep it real, only have few genuine mugen pieces. The replica wing does look a little out of place on an otherwise stock car minus all the skirting etc..

mental
07-28-2003, 07:33 PM
what fucken wing is that!!! i want it!!!!! some one tell me!!!!!!

jerky
07-29-2003, 11:59 AM
it's the mugen wing.

i say if you want to go cheap get a replica type r kit: 600+ maybe?

real mugen grill: 220

c8s bronze: 400

cf mugen wing from showstoppers: 389

cf mugen hood from showstoppers: 500

as for the engine shit don't get a replica oil cap that's gay. just stick to the stock one. spend some cash on some real mods like intake headers exhaust ground kit whatever. don't waste your cash on flashy shit that's dumb. maybe a radiator cap because that actually does something. and get a thermoswitch and hondata IMG while you are at it.

don't forget to work on suspension, CTR rear sway, rear lower tie bar (cheap one), some shocks.

yeah that is way over budget now sorry.:) don't get gay shit though.

mental
07-29-2003, 07:41 PM
NO THE RED CAR!!!! what wing is that on the red car.. the car that honda showed as a turbo version a SEMA

SiR Medic
07-30-2003, 06:27 AM
One of the problems with getting the CTR kit in Nova Scotia is that front bumper. In N.S. we have to go through a yearly safety check, and getting rid of the stock reflectors would get me nailed right off the bat (they are very strict about lights etc.)

I'm not entirely sold on a Mugen replica wing... I might just get a CTR one (or GFX) instead.

I DO really like the Circuit 8s though!

The reason I started this thread is just to get feedback and suggestions. I've been slow to really get modding on my EP because I really didn't know what I wanted to do with it. Since I don't want to put stuff on, only to take it off later, I want to get everything right the first time. I want the car to look classy and perform respectably.

I do want the Mugen suspension.
I do want to concentrate more on effective mods and not just cosmetic.
I do want to get the biggest bang for my buck.
I do want to upgrade the stereo... But LATER.
I will snap something up if I see a good deal.;)

IceD out N CALI
08-29-2003, 11:15 AM
not a bad idea, i'd say if you're on the ropes about which wing to get, then get the ctr one. cant really go wrong with it:)

Zero Three Si
08-29-2003, 11:33 AM
That wing should have come standard with our car....

Does anybody know if there is a weight savings with the wing?

STP03BlueSI
08-29-2003, 12:15 PM
damn thats a nice EP

civic hatch boi
08-31-2003, 03:25 AM
i doubt there's any weight savings, ours is tiny.. ctr = huge. also... i agree with that other dude, that RED WING IS FREAKING HOT!!!!!!!!! too bad they dont sell it. i want one!

StrangeShadow
08-31-2003, 04:22 AM
the red one(wing and kit) is made of cf, so it can't be too heavy, the whole car is concept, so nothing on it except some of the brand name stuff is for sale...like the brembos, and some of the interrior stuff...the mugen gauge pod...and a few oter things...the Greddy turbo...intercooler...
the wheels are honda concept made especially for that car...look like a racing heart wheel in my opinion.

StrangeShadow
08-31-2003, 04:25 AM
sir medic: how about the Mugen Stainless Steel Twin-Loop Cat-Back Exhaust ...I saw you were undesided in that area.
it's hard cause almost everything about mugen is cosmetic...if it's not cosmetic it's really big engine mod...
JDM K20A DC5R Engine
JDM DC5R 6 Speed Close Ratio Transmission w/ Limited Slip
Mugen Cold Airbox
JDM DC5R Exhaust Manifold and Down Pipe
Mugen ECU
Mugen Low Temp Thermostat
Mugen Hi-Pressure Radiator Cap
Mugen Fan Switch
Mugen Reserve Tank Covers
Mugen Oil Cap
Mugen N-1 Coil-Over Adjustable Suspension
Mugen 25mm Rear Stabilizer Bar
JDM Civic Type-R Front Stabilizer Bar
5 Lug Conversion with RSX-S Brakes Front and Rear
Mugen Micro Mesh Brake Line Set
Mugen Prototype Digital Instrument Panel
Mugen S-1 Bucket Seat w/ Mugen Seat Rail Kits
Mugen Sports Pedal Set
Mugen Race II Steering Wheel with Mugen Hub Adapter

there are also mugen vented brakes w/mugen calipes w/5 lug conversion.

take your pic man.

TheMutt
08-31-2003, 12:25 PM
I do want that wing (red one)

You say you want bang for your buck, you sure mugen is best route?

trk
08-31-2003, 02:45 PM
your going for the same look as me ---

I want:
ctr side skirts
mugen wing
mugen exhaust
kaminari front/rear lip

I have:
circuit 8s in bronze
icebox/dc headers/hondata
springs/strut bars

Im buying ASAP:
mugen suspension

circuits 8s in bronze = :p Yum!
http://homepage.mac.com/tai/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2003-03-16%2016.42.49%20-0800/Image-A39D6092581011D7.jpg

SiR Medic
09-01-2003, 04:22 AM
Those things don't look very bronze to me...;)

StrangeShadow
09-01-2003, 06:12 AM
wow,the circut 8 look very mugen, very detailed :thumbsup:

MrCivic03
09-01-2003, 06:57 AM
sorry but rota bronze is different with any other bronze. it is more a dark silver. i also want to get some mugen style rims ne body got a nice rim that is almost same. hey SiR medic if u brake hard or stop alot...do not get drilled rotors they will have stress cracks. but if u just drive dont slam ur brakes down then it should be all good. and also drilled wont last as long as slotted.

02SilverSiHB
09-01-2003, 05:20 PM
circuit 8's are nice, but if you want something close to the mugen wheels on that si, go for the circuit 10's:
http://www.jaydm.com/rota-c10.htm
http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_e7aeaa04e0f0203e87c5b04688290e8e/i-1.JPG

chubbychu
09-01-2003, 05:39 PM
thats cool, but i doubt its gonna be cheap.

MrCivic03
09-01-2003, 05:39 PM
hey does ne one kno a good site for rota wheels. i kno about jaydm.com but dont like those prices so ne one kno another place.

Blackapino85
09-01-2003, 10:01 PM
try this site.

http://www.machiii.net/machiii/html/main001.html

StrangeShadow
09-02-2003, 12:28 AM
circuit 8's are nice, but if you want something close to the mugen wheels on that si, go for the circuit 10's:
http://www.jaydm.com/rota-c10.htm

hey! thanks! I didn't know those existed! looks like they fit 4lug too, unlike the mf-10 and the adr reps.

02SilverSiHB
09-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow

hey! thanks! I didn't know those existed! looks like they fit 4lug too, unlike the mf-10 and the adr reps.
yeap, they fit 4x100 lug patterns. Ebay has a ton of the rims selling right now, but only in 15"

trk
09-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

yeap, they fit 4x100 lug patterns. Ebay has a ton of the rims selling right now, but only in 15"

Yeah -- good luck finding those in 16's --- I cant find them anywhere reputable... if anyone does, let me know! My friend wants a set...

02SilverSiHB
09-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by trk

Yeah -- good luck finding those in 16's --- I cant find them anywhere reputable... if anyone does, let me know! My friend wants a set...
www.jaydm.com has them. I saw a selection for 16's

Ep3 No.2
04-19-2004, 10:24 PM
best thing to do to save money is be patient and get 2nd hand items. i saved tons of dough so far doing this =O)

BarracksSi
04-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Within a month, I should have C8's (16" silver, in my case) and Mugen suspension (plus Type-S rear sway), so I'll be partway there. I think the 8-spoke wheels look better with 4 lugs, and 10 spokes for 5 lugs -- more "natural", I guess.

Not planning on doing a wing, partly because I actually like the smooth rear end with the small Si spoiler (must be the only person to think so!), and also because I have a hatch-mounted bike rack sometimes.

I'm not planning on doing much stereo stuff either, at least not for a while. I'm happy enough now with my iPod in the car.

This'll also be the first time I mod a car of mine, too! :D