PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my Injen CAI install

ssvr6
08-26-2002, 08:00 PM
It's pretty straight forward. I also just got the car tinted, I'll post that in the general forum tomorrow after I take pics.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/CAI_1.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/CAI_2.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/CAI_3.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/CAI_4.jpg

Next, Header, Exhaust, followed by springs.

Steve

Febrezee
08-26-2002, 08:13 PM
Im still waiting for a mounting braket that they forgot in the first place...

1fastminivan
08-26-2002, 09:19 PM
Wow! that looks totally different then the AEM CAI that I saw on another EP. The AEM one looked more difficult then the Injen. Looks good. :cool:

IceD out N CALI
08-26-2002, 10:13 PM
cool, do you notice any horsepower gains in the powerband? also how does it sound?

SiCivic2k2
08-26-2002, 10:43 PM
Awesome! That's the one I wanted! Mounts right behind the headlight. Was it hard to install? How long did it take? Where did you order it from? That's my next mod! :D

Mr.02BlackSIguY
08-27-2002, 12:40 AM
how much HP does the injen give u and the AEM gives you? i heard that the injen has more of an increase in HP. does injen come in different colors also? im planning to go with injen if it gives more horsies.

Snubben
08-27-2002, 03:40 AM
I noted that the fusebox is relocated. We have seen the heatshields from the Injen SRI cracking when mounted on what seems to be the same points. What do you think about the vibrations? Is the fusebox sensitive to vibrations?

BTW What's the pipe diameter, is it 3" like the SRI?

This CAI design looks like it has a better flow design than the AEM CAI. Could have been even better if there was some safe way to push the coolant hose downwards an inch or two. Then it would be possible to avoid the slight bends just before the throttle.

ssvr6
08-27-2002, 05:23 AM
The install sucked. It took me about 2 hours (no joke). Mainly due to my lack of knowledge around this engine, the crappy pics, and mindless dribble they described as "install instructions". :)

Anyway, I could have done it in at least HALF of the time if I had to do it over again.

The gains are pretty noticeable by my "butt dyno" and yes, from what I've seen, Injen provides the most hp compared to other CAI's.

It only comes chrome (bad part), so I'll be removing mine when I get a chance and painting it flat black or having it anodized black. I hate "bling" in my engine bay. I also hate the crappy silicone tubing they supply with the kit. If you notice the breather tube on the intake itself, it has a clamp, that's because it split trying to "persuade" it on the barb. It's fixed and works, so no biggie. But black hoses will be replacing them. (I don't know about that elbow, I'll have to research it.) Oh yeah, and it's 3" tubing.

The filter is in the bumper below/behind the light. I attached the filter by opening up the wheel well and reaching in with both hands, simple enough.

I noticed a resonance one time, I'm sure it's because I didn't cut the area out from where the tubing runs and it's rubbing on that. I'll go back in and wrap the tube in a rubber or insolating sheet around that area. The fuse box is fine and VERY tight where it's now mounted.

I ordered this from Nopi (http://www.nopionline.com)

It's an impressive piece, I highly recommend it.

Steve

ssvr6
08-27-2002, 05:25 AM
I almost forgot,....it's loud as all get out!

I scare people when I get on the gas next to them. Since I don't have exhuast work done, it's all quiet and then a roar.

It's pretty cool, but can be annoying. I don't drive as hard since I installed as I don't want to draw any more attention as it is.

Steve

silver ep
08-27-2002, 05:45 AM
is the sound obtrusive during regular driving or just when you get on it?

ssvr6
08-27-2002, 06:21 AM
Just when you get into the upper RPM band. Around 4k it starts with peak "noise" at 6k to 6500. It's not bothersome at all during normal driving and I'm sensative to the noise.

The annoyance is that it's a head turning noise. I don't want people thinking that I'm racing simply because I'm getting on the gas a little hard. That's something a cop might think too. (I'm just "pig" paranoid. I don't want or need anymore tickets.)

Steve

Brew Bros
08-27-2002, 08:51 AM
:p I'm jealous!!! That's exactly what I want, and you are totally right about getting it all done black. Post some pics when you get that done!!! looks great!!!

sicivic2002
08-27-2002, 08:58 AM
Who told you it only came in that color? They come in Red and Blue too.

Check it out:
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_list.asp?dept=1577&last=1577

silver ep
08-27-2002, 09:01 AM
You can only get the "polished" Injen CAI from NOPI, but the good part is that its only like $190

ssvr6
08-27-2002, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry, I meant to say that only polished was from Nopi.

I hate colors anyway, polished was really my only choice.

:)

Steve

fishboy
08-27-2002, 11:05 AM
i like it! i was thinking of going injen for the CAI, but i just couldn't wait so i got the AEM one. i'm still happy about the purchase i made, don't get me wrong. i think a CAI should be 1st on everyone's list. nice to finally see the injen model installed on a fellow ep'er. have fun man and don't be scared to punch it. :D

Mr.02BlackSIguY
08-27-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by sicivic2002
Who told you it only came in that color? They come in Red and Blue too.

Check it out:
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_list.asp?dept=1577&last=1577

whats the difference between polished or the regular? i clicked on the link and the pictures both looked the same to me.

sicivic2002
08-27-2002, 07:50 PM
The only difference would be the color. Goto injen's webpage to see what the colors would be.

silver ep
08-27-2002, 08:43 PM
I cant understand how on NOPI the Injen CAI is $189 and on optauto its around $230, can anyone make sense of this> This guy at a local online dealer is selling them for $257!:confused:

ssvr6
08-28-2002, 03:39 AM
It's all about volume. If you're Nopi and you're selling 500 units a week compared to 100 a month from your local or smaller shop in this case, they get a better deal on the prices. Nopi makes money on other shit and pass a good amount of savings to us to boost sales.

Since they're so cheap, they're more concerned with volume than profit. It's like selling cars....kinda.

:D

Steve

silver ep
08-28-2002, 06:01 AM
Hey Steve what kind of oil are you using?

ssvr6
08-28-2002, 06:58 AM
Good question, none yet, I need to.

I really like Mobil 1 but they changed their forumla when they merged with Exxon.

I don't know what I'm going to use....I guess I use what the dealer puts in until I find a new one.

Anyone have some recommendations?

Steve

2k2SiAutoXer
08-28-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Good question, none yet, I need to.

Steve

i am interested in how your engine is running without any oil???

SiCivic2k2
08-29-2002, 01:54 AM
lol

ssvr6
08-29-2002, 02:41 AM
Heh heh, guessed I walked into that one. Whatever came in the car is what I'm running, I don't know what it is.

:D

NOW, I haven't chosen a brand yet in terms of what I'll be running FROM NOW ON. ;)

If anyone has some suggestions, I'm all ears.

Steve

2002Si
08-29-2002, 07:21 AM
Every once in a while my intake will make pop noise when I'm in low RPM's, Does anyone know why!!!!! Holy Crap, is this good???:eek:

fishboy
08-29-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by 2002Si
Every once in a while my intake will make pop noise when I'm in low RPM's, Does anyone know why!!!!! Holy Crap, is this good???:eek:

some people actually had a problem like this a few months ago. try searching in the general forum or try pming downthehatch, i believe he may have had this same problem. kinda like backfire on the intake side or something? try searching everywhere first. he might see this and get mad at me.

2002Si
08-29-2002, 11:53 AM
Why would he get mad??

Febrezee
08-29-2002, 12:00 PM
I love my Injen Intake.. Wasn't that hard to install

2002Si
08-29-2002, 12:04 PM
Wait untill it starts that backfiring shit!!! I've got one too and I'm trying to figure out why it's backfiring.

SIborland
08-29-2002, 12:04 PM
I dont like the looks of the Injen CAI, its unecessarily long, the AEM goes pretty much straight down from the motor, not a big detour like the Injen. And Injen's dyno better according to Injen. They do all of their tests with the hood open on a cold motor and sometimes even with the bumper off. Real fair there. Injen has always been more for looks than AEM, but polished stays too hot. Sorry to rag on it, but I'm not a fan of the Injens in any way.

ApexinSi
09-03-2002, 02:12 PM
interesting SIborland...I was going to order injen from nopi today until I read your post, guess I'll wait for comptech and see how that does before purchasing an intake.

DynaSpeed
09-18-2002, 07:30 AM
okay... weird story with Injen and Nopi and myself.

I'm not sure about when you guys (and girls) order aftermarket parts, but when I order them I usually give "company X" a grace period of a week to 2 weeks for the part to get shipped to my door. So, I order an Injen CAI from Nopionline... card won't go through... says "card not captured". oookkkaayy... I'll call them.

monday (9-16-02 at about 2:00pm)
Guy on phone: "oh, those are on 2 week backorder"
Me: "okay, whenever they come in just have my name on it and ship it"
Guy on phone: "ok"

the next day.... tuesday (9-17-02)
Get home from work... Box from Injen sitting at my house!
I thought it would be too good to be true (wrong part or something), but nope I got it shipped from California to Michigan in less than 24 hours. (With cheap shipping.. cost: $8.00)

Wild.

But anyways, took me about 2

ssvr6
09-18-2002, 09:01 AM
Just turn the radio up or open the windows and you won't notice it.

That's what I do.

;)

Steve