PDA

View Full Version : For those WITH a turbo already

G-J
07-29-2003, 01:43 AM
Did you have any problems with installing a Turbo Timer in conjunction with our immobilizer feature at all? I want to make sure everything was cool before I start in on her :)

P.S. Any tips before I do the install? Anyone with the wiring schematic on them or should I just get the info myself?

JackHerer
07-29-2003, 01:59 AM
my turbo timer was installed and works with my alarm fine. make sure the installer knows what they are doing.

ssvr6
07-29-2003, 07:28 AM
So you can use your remote to lock your doors with the car running?

I'd like to know how that was done. I have to manually lock my doors when my timer is on.

Steve

andy
07-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
I'd like to know how that was done. I have to manually lock my doors when my timer is on.

Steve

That was a problem on the WRX - not being able to remotely
lock the doors/arm the alarm with the timer on. Someone
found a fix and it was just a matter of splicing a wire or cutting
one or something simple. I never did do it to mine, but if you
guys want, I'll see if I can find the fix (you can also search over
at nasioc.com). It might be a similar solution for the Si...

Actually, just found this - HTH:

the module that you need to cut and tap a connection from the turbo timer harness is the Green/Black wire off the KEYLESS ENTRY MODULE. It's located on the upper left side of the steering column. You will need to remove the plastic panel and metal plate to gain access to this area.

the other wire that needs to be cut is the 'grey' ignition sensing wire off the subaru security module. please note that disabling the ignition sensing wire of the security module will prevent you from manually disarming your alarm using the turn on/off 3 times method using the ignition key. if you're concerned that this feature is needed install a high amperage switch inline of the grey wire to allow you to disarm the alarm manually if needed.

87gn
07-29-2003, 01:02 PM
why even run a timer? all ya got to do is wait a min or so before you shut the car off. besides its a electronic device, i would hate to walk away and come back 3 or 4 hours later to find my car still running.

andy
07-29-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 87gn
why even run a timer? all ya got to do is wait a min or so before you shut the car off. besides its a electronic device, i would hate to walk away and come back 3 or 4 hours later to find my car still running.

True, you can just let the car idle. But that can be a pain
sometimes - i.e. you're on the highway, pull over at a rest stop
to drop some kids off and you just jump out and go, no waiting/gastrointestinal pain. ;)

On 1000s of turbo timings on my wrx, I never had it stay on
for longer than it needed to. I will admit to leaving the keys in
the car numerous times, b/c I thought it was just the timer - doh!

JackHerer
08-01-2003, 01:15 AM
give ultimate racing an email and they will let you know.

Originally posted by ssvr6

Steve

G-J
08-01-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by JackHerer
give ultimate racing an email and they will let you know.

Happen to know the email off hand?

siver-SI
08-01-2003, 04:20 AM
Ok I am looking at getting a Turbo and I have never heard of this timmer thing. Why do you have the let the car run for a little before you can turn it off?

87gn
08-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Ok I am looking at getting a Turbo and I have never heard of this timmer thing. Why do you have the let the car run for a little before you can turn it off?

yeah thats exactly what it does, if you turn off a turbo car you turbo can "cook" its bearings because of the oil just setting on the hot metal, the same thing will happin to the oil feed line to so thats why you need to let it circulate freash (cooler) oil threw the system. cooking of the bearings will result in shaft play and cause your car to use oil and in suvear cases run one of the impellers in it its houseing. ive got some pictures of a really bad case around here some where if i can dig them up ill post them.

siver-SI
08-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Ok so you turn off the turbo and just let the car run for a little or is it that you just you have to let the engine sit at idel for a little? I have never heard of this on a OEM turbo so that is why I never heard of this. This is some good learning stuff so I do not screw up my car.

87gn
08-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Ok so you turn off the turbo and just let the car run for a little or is it that you just you have to let the engine sit at idel for a little? I have never heard of this on a OEM turbo so that is why I never heard of this. This is some good learning stuff so I do not screw up my car.

well, when ya find a way to turn off the turbo come and tell us ;)

really a turbo timer is not nesicary, all you have to do is just let
your car idle for 2-3 mins before you shut the car down.

siver-SI
08-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Ok well I did not know about that but good to know now. Just wondering why does this not have to be done on OEM type turbos?

ssvr6
08-01-2003, 07:08 PM
My VW salesman recommended letting the car "cool" before removing the keys after longer trips. I have a 1.8T.

Steve

G-J
08-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Just wondering why does this not have to be done on OEM type turbos?

If you read the manual for any car with a OEM turbo or supercharger there will be a section about long trips and a cooling off period. Most dealerships state to drive around the block at a slow pace to cool off the engine and the engine oil after hard driving or long trips. Most times I am not going to take time to drive around a block slowly... I'd rather the car sit for 45 seconds to a minute and shut off itself.

Plus most timers have an e-brake kill switch so if someone were to try and steal it while its running - when the e-brake is released the car turns off.

importhonda
08-02-2003, 05:31 PM
There is a module made by DEI that allows you to bypass the immobilizer. i KNOW because i have one on my car with the remote start option. It is a $30 or so part i think...