PDA

View Full Version : Safest amount of boost with a turbo kit...

Type whoRe
07-29-2003, 06:58 PM
Well i'm trying to convince my brother to go boost with his stock ep3 Si motor and i'm trying to do some more research. What's the highest boost you can push on a stock 2003 Si motor?

ssvr6
07-29-2003, 07:13 PM
7 to 8 is fine, 10 is possible, 12 might be the max on stock internals. I'm running 7.5lbs.

Steve

Type whoRe
07-29-2003, 07:18 PM
would 10 psi be ok with a boost controller at the track only? and what kind of power would we be seeing at 10 psi with one of the prefabricated turbo kits? 300whp or somewhere close?

ssvr6
07-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Good question. I don't see why not as long as your transmission can hold it.

Steve

87gn
07-29-2003, 10:52 PM
if you run alkey injetion (about 150 bucks diy) you will be able to run alittle more boost.

ssvr6
07-30-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by 87gn
if you run alkey injetion (about 150 bucks diy) you will be able to run alittle more boost.

Ok, explain why.

Steve

87gn
07-30-2003, 10:08 PM
Ok, explain why.

detonation, its hard to find a quick way to sum it up but more resistence to detonation allows more timing and more boost.

some times a car "knocks" or "pings" because of carbon deposits explodeing in the combustion chamber (it will cause pre-ignition). alkey is a compermise to running race gas or propane. (there are other causes of detionation but i wont get in to great detial right now)in gns the computer pulls alittle timeing, knock retard degrees. with alkey being injected in to the intake charge it reduces detionation (thus reduceing kr) so theres less of a risk of blowing your head gaskets or sending the crank shaft threw the bottom of the pan and you will get a performance gain because your computers not pulling timeing, thus your able to run more boost safely (like running race gas).

it also has a cooling effect on the engines intake charge, many hot air gns run this system for that reasion only. its called latent heat of vaporization if my memory serves me correctly, its the same prenciple behind why a co2 canister gets ice cold when you break there seals.the alkey is sprayed threw a nitrous nozzle and the pressure drop allows the alkey to "boil off", its pretty much acting like a refrigeration unit, its absorbing a ass load of heat.

http://home.att.net/~stevemon/AlcoholInjMod.html

ssvr6
07-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Extra fuel from the 550cc injectors and the FMU will handle it without additives.

As for being able to run more boost. The AFC controls air and fuel so you can crank up the boost and adjust your AF on the fly.

Steve

87gn
07-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Extra fuel from the 550cc injectors and the FMU will handle it without additives.

As for being able to run more boost. The AFC controls air and fuel so you can crank up the boost and adjust your AF on the fly.

thats all fine for street use but when you want to get searious alkey is the way to go, gns and dsms have been useing it for YEARS its just a proven fact that you can crank the boost up from 5-10 extra psi over your normal psi on our cars and safely run it on the street.

even with larger injectors, (im not saying that that wont matter because it helps ALOT) your boost levels are limited by your octane level. alkey is sort of like being able to run race gas on the street and every one who has ever raced a turbo car knows that when you increase the octane you can increase the boost levels.

Type whoRe
07-30-2003, 10:42 PM
wow good info guys, thx alot:)

ssvr6
07-31-2003, 04:31 AM
I see what you're saying.

Steve

87gn
07-31-2003, 12:45 PM
i just think some one needs to do some dyno testing with a diy alkey system, my bet is no one running a turbo ep is nearing the potential boost levels that the car could make on pump gas.

personally i dont run alkey, althow i have setup several other gns and a gsx in the past. i run eather toulene or xylene with alittle mmo on the side, my reasions being is because alkey is carosive and you have to spend a fair amount of time checking over all the fittings and the nozzles for pitts. another down side to alkey is that the car will slightly bog when you first get on it BUT the extra 5-10 psi more then makes up the diffrence as soon as the turbo spools

i might go to alkey some day but propane "pro-pain" injection systems are looken verry impressive to me, theres no slight bogging that i know of, its not corossive, and i think with alittle time i could figure out a way to use it to cool my front mount intercooler to boot.

Karel
08-03-2003, 09:16 AM
Still didn't answer the original question :-).
Just how much boost can the engine take?
Unless there are Forged internals.. Crank, Rods, Pistons AND Either Ni90 OR Sodium exhaust valves.. NOT MUCH.
I would say 6 to 8 psi safely.. a Water injection system (aquamist) and an Ign ition retard on Boost system will allow a couple or 3 more pounds.. mebe:-)

Lotsa people give ridiculous PSI claims.. but lots of these are either 'guesses' or from some KMart Gauge incorrectly installed.

Put an Accurate Gauge (Mc Master Carr sells excellent industrial versions, guranteed 2% accuracy for the ridiculous price of $10!)
and hook it up to the ..centre ..of the Intake plenum.for a true pressure source.
Remember that Boosting Seriously elevates combustion Temps.. extra power always means extra heat.. no ignoring that Mate.

Also "Boost" is ineficient on the OEM cam setup.. overlap is bad for Boost power.

So then on an OEM setup mebe 6 psi at the acknowledged "rule of thumb" power gain of 1 psi =5 hp.. you get 30 hp... realistically.

Hey! we are all enthusiastic.. but 'silly' exagerations just discourage those who are really trying. Real info is vital.

ssvr6
08-03-2003, 09:38 AM
Since no one's pushed the stock components, it's hard to say. I'm confident that I can run 10lbs on stock internals.

Steve

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-03-2003, 10:03 AM
it depends what other supporting mods are done.

i ran 15 psi SAFELY on my 96 civic ex...

YES, on stock internals (D16y8 1.6L SOHC VTEC)...

if you have the right combination and proper tuning, you wont have any problems...

I ran that setup for 4 years and 45,000 miles without a single problem (about 400 1/4 mi passes as well).

D16Y8_Turbo
08-04-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
i ran 15 psi SAFELY on my 96 civic ex...

YES, on stock internals (D16y8 1.6L SOHC VTEC)...
(about 400 1/4 mi passes as well).

I did the same on my '96 as well. 14-16 lbs of boost.

Alcohol kits have been used by many GN's and other Turbo vehicles. I am planning on using it on my Syclone next year and my brother currently runs the SMK (I believe) Alcohol kit on his '87 GN. Great product. I was going to hook one up to my EP and see what will happen :)