PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Setup...

Zigen5
07-29-2003, 07:44 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding what head unit I want in my EP3. I decided on either Alpine or Kenwood Excelon. What do you guys think I should get. Also what speakers should I get? I was going to get Excelon Comp for the from and kenwood excel for the back. Also do you really have to cut the front to mount the speakers? How hard is it to install the front speakers? Its a big concern for me or should I let the pros do it?

Speck
07-30-2003, 06:48 AM
First thing that you need to do is get to a store and listen to the different HUs. They are all going to sound different and/or better to each person.

Example: I listened to the Eclipses and could tell why people love them, it's the only unit that I have seen (barring High End units) that allows you to boost the midrange. It was incredible! But... to do anything with them, including some of the things that were stated on the box and the unit itself (IE: EQ settings) you needed to buy the commander unit (for another $300). Uhhhh.... no.... not getting suckered like that, sorry.

Alpine... well, I own the 9815, and as I said in another post, I could not be happier. Bottom line, Go Listen!

Speaker install, up to you, I installed mine myself with a Dremel (God's Gift to man) because after getting a few things installed by different companies, I added it up, and had spent more than I did for most of my good parts!! I vowed then to never let someone else install for me. yes, you are going to need to cut a bit to get the speaker mounted, but as long as you have a steady hand and measure twice cut once, you will be fine.

Speakers: Yet again, go listen. I was originally going to buy a set of Focal Polykevlars, but I heard a set of Kicker Resolution RS6's in the shop and bought those, saving me something like $500. They just sounded better.

-=speck=-

JLannoo
07-30-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Speck

Example: I listened to the Eclipses and could tell why people love them, it's the only unit that I have seen (barring High End units) that allows you to boost the midrange.
-=speck=-

I have had a Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 and now a Excelon KDC-X869. both allow midrange adjustment with the Excelon offering more control options.

Speck
07-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Damn, now I kinda wish I had taken a good look at the Kenwood units... just never liked the look of them.

But of course, I stand corrected. /bow

-=speck=-

PhatBox
07-31-2003, 12:00 PM
I have the Kenwood KDC-X969 radio in my car. It has all sorts of adjustments for audio. You can adjust crossover points for each RCA output; low, mid, high, individual gains, and other stuff that I don't have any clue about (Q-settings, WOW, etc).

I personally don't like any of the settings. Most of them boost the low-mid range (300Hz) and the highs. I am running my stereo with all audio settings completely off (LOUD, WOW, Q, everything off or at flat). I prefer the flat output and let my amps and speakers "color" the music.

I only use the radio for the 5V preout and since it is cheaper than other brands.